Where to buy a new destktop loaded with opensuse

I would like to buy a new desktop loaded with opensuse. I have been searching in the web but I just can find options to have Ubuntu loaded.
Any recommendations?

Why not build your own, thus learning more about computers and saving hundreds of dollars in the process? Then just install Open Suse on it after it’s built. You could spend more money on the motherboard, and less on the other components for now. That will give you plenty of room for upgrades in the future. You could do it all for less than $400.

Sadly, I’m not actually convinced that building your own is cheaper any more… Bulk discounts and economies of scale and all that.

Though I could be wrong, and even if it isn’t, there are other good reasons to do it that way.

Which hemisphere are you living in, so I can narrow down the recommendations?

I would recommend buying a system pre-built (such as dell) you will have the latest tech and they are very reliable. i would not get one from the chain stores as they are the consumer grade and there is a difference in the quality buy the business line and you can get good deals. also you will have to load suse yourself as i do not know of any vendors who preload suse on their systems.

I bought a laptop las year from a seller of custom laptops with no OS. I put good hardware, 4 gb of RAM, SSD,the fastest intel core duo available,…
However the laptop itself is flimsy,plastic, noisy like a vacuum, the keyboard sucks, and it gets too hot with minimal tasking.
It is basically a lemon… This was what I got for trying to save some money (clevo 13inch—sager)
After that experience, I think maybe I should stick with one of the big brands (HP & DELL) and install the OS by myself.

both HP and Dell have computers (from netbooks, through laptops and
desktops all the way up to BIG enterprise servers) born with Linux…

unfortunately, you just have to search some…and, it probably will
not be openSUSE…but, probably will be SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
(SLED) or Server (SLES), or Red Hat, or something you may or may not
have ever heard of…

but, if it is Linux it will be Linux…and, there should be
drivers for all the hardware :wink:

brassy

You learned that the hard way. I would never do that for a laptop ;).

However I still use a desktop that I resurrected from its dead asus mobo/amd processor. Never found out which one failed, so I updated both and power supply. On a very tight budget then, and needed the box, so when I discovered the backplate needed re-engineering to take new mobo, I proceeded slowly with hacksaw and file. It took a while, but a great feeling when it came back up on first attempt. At time of completion I could have bought a Dell equivalent for a little extra money as they had just dropped their prices significantly.

Would I build again. No, not now, the savings are probably not there as Confuseling said. Some people would build to have a machine that is more flexible in upgrading, than proprietary systems that use their own limited form factors.

I’m glad the OP raised this question, as I am looking to buy a laptop or notebook. If not a Mac, I would go with the advice in this thread i.e. so far yours, TKS1125, and brassy. :slight_smile:

Well even if you buy a laptop/desktop with Ubuntu you can just install OpenSuse over it.
Hey even if I hated Ubuntu to death like the majority of people here and other non Ubuntu forums I would still buy a computer with it as opposed to windows.
That tells companies like dell I support linux and by buying from them they will continue to support linux themselves.
Hey linux is linux, if a major OEM sells a computer with linux on it I will buy it.

Yes, but what would be the issues (if any) if I bought with windows (say from Dell) and then wanted to install openSUSE over it, rather than dual boot? I haven’t used windows here since win95, so it’s a genuine question.

consused wrote:
> Yes, but what would be the issues (if any) if I bought with windows (say
> from Dell) and then wanted to install openSUSE over it, rather than dual
> boot? I haven’t used windows here since win95, so it’s a genuine
> question.

if it comes with Linux then ALL the hardware works with Linux…on the
other hand a machine that is shipped with Windows may have a (say)
web cam or wireless card that there is no known Linux driver for,
anywhere…and, that is just the beginning…there was a guy here
not long ago complaining that when he plugged in earphones to listen
to music listened to music, the built in speakers did not mute…why?
because the manufacture saved five cents (maybe a dollar, but i doubt
if that much) because they could mute it with their sound driver…a
driver not available for Linux…

and, ALL of that is true if you dual boot too…go through the forums
here and you will find THOUSANDS of post saying something like “I know
it is not a problem with my machine because it works perfect in
Windows.”

DUH! sure it works perfect with Windows it was DESIGNED and BUILT for
Windows…and, no one has yet written the driver to allow THAT web
cam (or whatever) to work with Linux (or a Mac, or OS/2, of BeOS, or
BSD, or Amiga, Unix, or Atari, or AIX, or or or or or …)

see?

brassy

Indeed therein lies danger in lack of drivers, in particular the smaller features which even good desk based research may not pick up.

I guess warranty could and would be invalidated by replacing windows. I was wondering if Microsoft or Dell, say, ever make it difficult to unhook windows from the machine or install another OS?

> ever make it difficult to
> unhook windows from the machine or install another OS?

well, it is MORE than difficult, it is impossible to install Linux
and have a fully_fuctional machine on MUCH of the Dell and HP
product line…so? they come with Windows, you PAY for Windows, they
are DESIGNED for Windows…and, like you say you probably VOID the
warranty if you put anything else on them…so?

go buy a Mustang with a gasoline engine…remove the gas from the
tank and REPLACE it with diesel (or hydrochloric acid)…so how that
works for you…

if you buy WinTel you have bought WinTel…it may or may not run
ANYthing else well…

brassy

I myself don’t know of any companies that preload openSUSE on their computers… I do know that Lenovo sells laptops with SLED preloaded on them (not sure about the desktops)

I have tried myself to find computers with suse preloaded but have yet to find anything.

at this point I would probably suggest buying one of Dell’s dektops preloaded with Ubuntu or FreeDOS if you live somewhere where they sell them and install Suse on your own.

Other than that… I recommend building your own Linux desktop because you can find out what hardware works with Linux before you buy it… Unlike OEM stuff where you buy and find out later.

But if you ever come across someone selling PCs with Suse preloaded let us know :slight_smile:

My advice here. If you’re not into building computers, is to go and get yourself the ubuntu ones. The reason is simple, since it comes with a Linux distro (ubuntu) you get the implicit warranty that all the hardware WILL have drivers for any distribution, this means that switching to opensuse is as easy as just dropping it over ubuntu. Also by buying from them you avoid the “Microsoft Tax” and second you’re supporting financially a computer maker that preloads linux (even if it’s a distro you don’t fancy, it’s still Linux).

> But if you ever come across someone selling PCs with Suse preloaded let
> us know :slight_smile:

i’d guess if i were a manufacturer i wouldn’t be interested in trying
to sell a product with an OS with so short a lifespan…and NO
assurance that the next upgrade will work…

i mean, think about it as a computer seller: openSUSE has a TWO year
life…and during THAT 24 months you have to design, assemble, test,
document, build and market an integrated system of stable,
dependable software AND hardware (that you already HAVE drivers for)…

by the time you do all of that your customer has what, 3 to 15
months of useful OS life left…at the MOST? at which time, unless
something changes, your customer is practically forced to do a
FORMAT/install, which may or may NOT work without weeks of fiddling…

nah! no thanks i don’t think i wanna commit several tens (or hundreds)
of thousands of dollars to such an undertaking!

which is why the ones who do preload, use longer lifetime, and more
predictable stability products like SLED and Red Hat…

brassy

Speaking of buying openSUSE. Have particpated in this poll? Did you buy openSUSE/merchandise? - openSUSE Forums

Err… No. For that statement to have any chance of being accurate, the openSUSE distribution (or any distro) would have to include and support all the drivers that Ubuntu includes and supports. It doesn’t, so lets not get carried away with our enthusiasm. I do agree that it improves the purchaser’s chances for a successful outcome with openSUSE, and will at least reduce the pain of switching to any chosen distro. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reminding me about Lenovo. I was going to look at Dell & HP, but maybe that would increase the chances for painless success with openSUSE even more.

Surely if the driver, or the wrapper in the case of a blob, is open source, it can be compiled into more or less any distro?

I suppose you’re both right. It’s always theoretically possible, but sometimes so difficult there may as well have not been a driver at all…