where can I find the image for the 13.1 splash screen?

OK! I have no doubt that this is the “Stupid Question” of the week (month?, year?, decade? :stuck_out_tongue: - take your pick ) but I DON’T like the new splash (wallpaper?) artwork that comes with 13.2 and I DID like the old. I have hunted thru’ the KDE “Plasma Desktop Shell” stuff and all the “Get New Wallpapers” but no sign of 13.1 - plenty of earlier versions, mostly very OK & mostly (I have an old boxed set on my shelf which is 6.1 - published 1999 - and I’d used SuSE as freeware before that) familiar - BUT I really like the simple & uncluttered background provided by 13.1.

I’m not even sure that this is the right forum to ask this but I guess that one of you multimedia gurus may be able to point me in the right direction.

thanks in advance for any help

dmk

The bootsplash is completely unrelated to KDE, and cannot be changed via KDE.

It’s shown by plymouth, its themes are in /usr/share/plymouth/themes, and the package of openSUSE’s default theme is plymouth-branding-openSUSE. You could install the 13.1 package if you wanted to, but you’d have to lock it to not have it updated.

I’d rather suggest to download the package though, open it in Ark or file-roller, and extract the theme folder. Then rename it, copy it to /usr/share/plymouth/themes/, and run something like this to set it as default theme:

sudo plymouth-set-default-theme -R openSUSE_13.1

The 13.1 package can be found here:
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/suse/noarch/plymouth-branding-openSUSE-13.1-10.4.13.noarch.rpm

Wolfi - Thanks for this:

I went thru’ the process described above, renamed the file SuSE-13.1.splash & copied it to /usr/share/plymouth/themes/

BUT. when I ran it (using several different names) I got this:

Bash - 4.2.53   : sudo plymouth-set-default-theme -R SuSE-13.1.splash
root's password:
/usr/share/plymouth/themes/SuSE-13.1.splash/SuSE-13.1.splash.plymouth does not exist

Of course, I now realize (guess) that I should have changed the filenames:

openSUSE.plymouth & openSUSE.script **
to:
SuSE-13.1.splash.plymouth & SuSE-13.1.splash.script
BUT
, that’s not what I did, instead, I changed the name of the existing openSUSE directory to BKPopenSUSE and dropped the openSUSE from 13.1, un-renamed into the themes directory. This worked - hooray!

BUT, I had mis-named my original query. What I had wanted was the 13.1 wallpaper not the splash screen (which I keep turned off anyway). Fossiking around in the /themes/openSUSE directory I found the files blank-background-43.png & logo-43.png. I opened them both in Kolourpaint, dropped one on t’other & set the image as the wallpaper using the Default Desktop Settings - success (again) hooray!

The only thing I haven’t been able to do is add the 13.1 artwork to the screen savers - but I’m working on it.

Thanks for your help.

dmk

Yes. Sorry, I did not think of that.

BUT, that’s not what I did, instead, I changed the name of the existing openSUSE directory to BKPopenSUSE and dropped the openSUSE from 13.1, un-renamed into the themes directory. This worked - hooray!

Yes, this works as well.
But your changes might get lost when installing updates.
That’s why I suggested to give the 13.1 theme a different name.

BUT, I had mis-named my original query. What I had wanted was the 13.1 wallpaper not the splash screen (which I keep turned off anyway). Fossiking around in the /themes/openSUSE directory I found the files blank-background-43.png & logo-43.png. I opened them both in Kolourpaint, dropped one on t’other & set the image as the wallpaper using the Default Desktop Settings - success (again) hooray!

The default openSUSE wallpaper is in the package wallpaper-branding-openSUSE.

But you can of course use any image, even one from the plymouth theme.

The only thing I haven’t been able to do is add the 13.1 artwork to the screen savers - but I’m working on it.

See here:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-kde/2013-02/msg00082.htmlYou could probably copy /usr/share/kde4/apps/ksmserver/screenlocker/org.kde.passworddialog/ to ~/.kde4/share/apps/ksmserver/screenlocker (create that directories first) and edit it there so that it survives updates. But I’m not sure whether that works, haven’t tried it myself.

mkdir -p ~/.kde4/share/apps/ksmserver/screenlocker
cp -R /usr/share/kde4/apps/ksmserver/screenlocker/org.kde.passworddialog ~/.kde4/share/apps/ksmserver/screenlocker

Got it! I now have

/usr/share/plymouth/themes/openSUSE-12.3/openSUSE_12.3.script

and

/usr/share/plymouth/themes/openSUSE-12.3/openSUSE_12.3.plymouth

running like a train.

Thanks for the tips on the other stuff. I’ll do something there later.

Thanks (as usual) for help & good advice.

dmk

Addition to last post: