When openSUSE 11.1 comes out.

Will I be able to upgrade without re-installing? I currently run 11.0.

Thanks.

Generally speaking yes you can.
Should I advice it NO
Is there a reason to upgrade already now ?
dobby9

Why would you advise against it?

You can easily do it.

The steps:

Remove 11.0 repositories
Add 11.1 repositories (OSS / NON-OSS / Update)

run:
sudo zypper dup

You may have to run sudo zypper dup several times (i had to run it twice to update everything form 11.0 to 11.1 beta 3).

eclipseagent wrote:

>
> dobby9;1894200 Wrote:
>> Generally speaking yes you can.
>> Should I advice it NO
>> Is there a reason to upgrade already now ?
>> dobby9
>
> Why would you advise against it?
>
> You can easily do it.
>
> The steps:
>
> Remove 11.0 repositories
> Add 11.1 repositories (OSS / NON-OSS / Update)
>
> run:
> sudo zypper dup
>
> You may have to run sudo zypper dup several times (i had to run it
> twice to update everything form 11.0 to 11.1 beta 3).
>
>
I think the biggest reason is to avoid clutter, if a package changes the install location then upgrading will leave the old files where they are an install in the default location. Also if SUSE changes something with the default partition, it happened before, then you will still be using your old filesystem which is no big problem. Also in a case like mine with 11.1 I will finally be able to use the 64 bit of SUSE on my laptop which an architecture change like that can not be done via an upgrade.

The way I see it upgrading is not a problem if you plan to keep the same setup and don’t mind any and all possible clutter.

“We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than only freedom can make security more secure.” Karl Popper

It is only my opinion I prefer to do a clean install and leaving
/home untouched
It gives mostly less problems than upgrading , but of course that
is for me personally
dobby9

So unlike Ubuntu you can’t do a distro upgrade.

I have tried the Ubuntu distro upgrade. was not successful in getting a working system afterwards even once. the worst was the dist-upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04.
I do not trust upgrades in any distro, be it ubuntu, fedora or opensuse.
a clean and fresh install is what i am most comfortable with.

You can, but whether it is a good idea or not to do so is another question. Personally, I don’t think it is. I’ve used dist-upgrade mechanisms in both OpenSUSE and Ubuntu before, and there’s always something going wrong. Well, at least on desktops. I did upgrade an ubuntu-server that way, and that worked flawlessly - probably because there aren’t as many packages and dependencies that has to be solved/upgraded compared to a desktop-machine.

My Personal experience is to do a clean install the distro upgrades are more trouble than they’re worth.
You don’t have to do anything really crazy just this:

1. dl’d opensuse11.1 burn the .iso
    2)leave your 11.0 install in place
    3)put in your 11.1 dvd restart you 'puter
    4)when the screen comes up click the install accept the defaults

If all has gone well(chances are it has) you’ll have everything in your /home as it was pics,documents & the like. Also when you start up Firefox you’ll have your bookmarks & extensions right where you had them in 11.0!
What you WILL NOT have your KDE settings,Gnome settings,vlc,mplayer,flashplayer,etc.
These things however are all in the repos so you’ll probably have to put in as much effort as you did to install 11.0.
Oh! almost forgot back up your vital documents & pics just in case things don’t go well

Is ther that OpenSuse 11.0 del. automaticaly old file and install 11.1 beta X. new files so then ther is no clutter “files”?.

I tried this today, going from fully updated 11.0 to 11.1-RC1 via “zypper dup”

Resolving all dependencies worked quite well.
Unfortunately the dist-upgrade really didn’t work that nicely.
a) somehow GRUB/the kernel didn’t get updated and it booted the old kernel
b) somehow PAM broke, and I wasn’t able to login (complaining about some module not being available).

So tomorrow I’ll see if I can fix the login by booting into init=/bin/bash and checking PAM settings for some .rpmnew files that hopefully make the difference. Or maybe the easier way is to reinstall it.

As long all data and /home are on separate partitions, this should be the cleaner way.

THIS… sortof…

I personally ( even in windows ) never upgraded major OS releases …

I never upgraded win98 > 2000 or 2k > xp or xp > Vista …

ALTHOUGH…

11 >11.1 would be a much better operation procedure if they could make it like windows in that it’s like a Service Pack rather than a full OS alteration.

So, how about upgrading from 11.1 rc1 to 11.1 final?
I got a new PC the day rc1 came out, and have spent just about every hour of every day since then configuring everything to just the way I like it… I’d hate to do it all again!
And either way, I’m going to at least try it. So in that case, does it make any difference if I run the install from the CD and choose update, or just change my repos and do it all online?

Also, a few posts ago someone said if you save your home DIR all your files will be saved, but not your desktop config. I thought the KDE customizations/configuration was all saved in the home dir… if not, how does one go about saving the desktop settings?

And while I know its a bad idea to upgrade between major OS versions, as the previous poster said, 11.0 to 11.1 should work! comeone… I’ve been a consultant for dos/windows for over 15 years, and I’ve got PC’s out there that have been upgraded from 95 to 2000 to xp, along w/ hardware changes, etc. While I dont do that w/ my personal computer, it does work more often than not. (In fact, I find windows just about always works, so whats up w/ all the windows bashing on linux forums… personally, I use linux cause it DOESN’t just work… I like to mess w/ my computer all day of every day… but I digress)

I never recommend version upgrades for someone that isn’t happy with rolling up their sleeves.

Having said that, I upgraded from 11.0 to the latest 11.1 RC by simply switching my repos to point at 11.1. Normally I’ve used the Yast -> System Update function in the past, but this time I simply used regular Yast package management to update all available packages. Smoothest upgrade I’ve ever done; there was a little bit of dependency dancing, but far less than I’ve experienced on previous updates. I’m using KDE 4.2 from the unstable repos, and even that transitioned fine.

If you’re comfortable with your system, try an upgrade. The worst case scenario is you’ll have to do a clean install, anyways.

But as I mentioned, take this with a grain of salt. Things can potentially go wrong, so if you’re not willing to risk sleeve-rolling-up to fix, best to keep things clean.

Just my 2c…

Cheers,
KV

If you back your data up first, you have nothing to loose but time. Your base install, should go fine if you set all your repositories. It’s those third party apps and drivers that you have to worry about, but you will have to take care of those if you do a clean install.

I did the repository upgrade from 10.3 to 11.0 and it all went great except for a few drivers, BUT I did not have any manually installed programs to deal with.

I always recommend a clean install, but what the hey. Go for it. It will be a learning experience, but we all need those. Just remember this. If you get into dependency hell, you are probably missing a repository.

Thanks, I can’t wait to try it. I’ll back up and be ready for a fresh install, if thats what it comes to.

else where wrote:

<snip>
> Normally I’ve used the Yast ->
> System Update function in the past, but this time I simply used regular
> Yast package management to update all available packages. Smoothest
> upgrade I’ve ever done; there was a little bit of dependency dancing,
> but far less than I’ve experienced on previous updates. I’m using KDE
> 4.2 from the unstable repos, and even that transitioned fine.
><snip>
>
> Cheers,
> KV
>
>
There’s a yast > system update? where?
As I’m current doing an upgrade to 11.1 using yast sw management upgrading all pkgs I’d appreciate any hints about the dependency dancing you experienced?

I

Suse 11.0 x64, Kde 4.2beta (unstable repo), Opera 9.x weekly

So unlike Ubuntu you can’t do a distro upgrade.

You can do an upgrade in openSUSE just like Ubuntu. However, it’s not a good idea to do so in any distro. Like the above posters have said, too much besides package versions change; you never know what might be wrong.

I tried this today, going from fully updated 11.0 to 11.1-RC1 via
“zypper dup”

Resolving all dependencies worked quite well.
Unfortunately the dist-upgrade really didn’t work that nicely.
a) somehow GRUB/the kernel didn’t get updated and it booted the old
kernel
b) somehow PAM broke, and I wasn’t able to login (complaining about
some module not being available).

So tomorrow I’ll see if I can fix the login by booting into
init=/bin/bash and checking PAM settings for some .rpmnew files that
hopefully make the difference. Or maybe the easier way is to reinstall
it.

As long all data and /home are on separate partitions, this should be
the cleaner way.

stericho

stericho’s Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=16808
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=399430

dobby9;1894504 Wrote:
> It is only my opinion I prefer to do a clean install and leaving
> /home untouched
> It gives mostly less problems than upgrading , but of course that
> is for me personally
> dobby9

THIS… sortof…

I personally ( even in windows ) never upgraded major OS releases …

I never upgraded win98 > 2000 or 2k > xp or xp > Vista …

ALTHOUGH…

11 >11.1 would be a much better operation procedure if they could make
it like windows in that it’s like a Service Pack rather than a full OS
alteration.

Twellons

Twellons’s Profile: http://forums.opensuse.org/member.php?userid=16020
View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=399430