Debian
Windows
FreeBSD
PCLinuxOS
Mandriva
Slackware
Red hat and what is your opinion?

right now, openSuse

Well i give up,i`m to slow to enter 10 polls for that.Tnx anyway;)

I use fedora,Mandriva,Opensuse
I use ubuntu what I think it works no it didn`t work at all.
I use windows 98,xp and soon win 7 and red hat

ok, I use sometimes XP too, but only for gaming

OpenSuse 11.1 with KDE 4.1.3.

Unfortunately, I need to run WinXP as well since my printer (Lexmark Z735) isn’t supported. Can’t afford a Linux compatible printer right now.

If developers would fix that, I’d trash the WinXP partition, and run WinXP and my games under a virtual terminal. Otherwise, I’d have no use at all for Windows.

I use ONLY openSUSE…

I think my favourite is Debian, the only thing keeping me from it is that I cant run half my hardware on it

I dual boot

1. OpenSuse 11.1 x64 /w KDE 4.1.3 for most comp needs and it likes all my hardware.

2. Windows XP Pro 64bit Edition for gaming it can use all my 4 gig RAM plus the 512 Mb vid ram and the server kernel and memory manager make it real stable.

openSUSE of course :slight_smile:

I second that - OpenSuse is my favorite, but HP-UX comes a very very close second…

:slight_smile:

To be honest, I prefer Ubuntu :slight_smile: (cries of boo in the background lol! ). openSUSE used to be my favourite but I had so many problems getting a wireless connection, whereas Ubuntu just worked staright away. That said, Ubuntu seems to be having problems at the moment but openSUSE and Fedora connect fine since 10 and 11.1 releases.

:slight_smile:

I’ve tried out lots of different OS’s and liked some, disliked many, loved a couple. So here are a few I remember.

Liked XP - still the best that Microsoft produced, if only they could get away from that central registry that fills up and slows it all down.

Disliked Vista - another year or two and I think it may be ready for release!!

Disliked Mandriva - I think it was the old KDE desktop that put me off, plus it was a bit unstable.

Loved Ubuntu - very stable. I’ve always liked Gnome for it’s looks and ease of use. Only thing against Ubuntu is the hideous orange and brown default colours (very 1970’s).

Loved Linux Mint - Everything you need in an easy installation, with the stability and huge software repositories of Ubuntu but with pretty cool default black/green colours!

Almost Loved PC-BSD - If I could have got it to run stable I would have kept it. it was this OS that turned me on to KDE 4. Although I remember trying out a very early beta version of KDE 4 quite a while ago on one of the Linux distros and thinking it was awful.

Hated FreeBSD - Just too Geeky for me. Mind you, it would have helped if I knew what I was doing with it!

Disliked Fedora - For some reason grub from the fedora installation didn’t want to include my other OS on a dual boot machine. I had to edit after installation. Also it wasn’t the most stable of Linux distros. Having said that, it was an early version of Fedora that introduced me to Linux. Even though I had problems with it, it was good enough to get and maintain my interest in Linux OS’s.

Disliked Gentoo and Slackware - These were definitely not designed for newbies like me.

Disliked Debian - Just too much of a potch to get everything installed and working.

Disliked OpenSuse 10 - found configuring sound and networking a bit of a nuisance. Also problems encountered with Xorg and my Ati graphics card.

Loved Puppy Linux - this is my favourite for old laptops with relatively small drives and low memory. It really is very quick to boot and run on even the slowest of machines. Also it’s networking set up is surprisingly easy and sophisticated for such a small distro

But, and not just because this is an OpenSuse forum, my absolute favourite to date is definitely Opensuse 11 with the stunning KDE 4 desktop. I’ve had it running for about a week now with no problems at all, (perhaps I’ve just been lucky). The desktop with the Oxygen theme certainly puts Vista in the shade. Installation was easy and went without any hiccups. Almost everything I needed or wanted was included and only a few extra programmes were required to give me the system I wanted. I’ve also installed K9Copy and I’m really impressed with it. I used to use DVDShrink with Wine, which was always a bit awkward to use. Now I can back up my daughter’s dvd’s before she destroys them, (she’s a typical teenager who thinks dvd’s belong out of their cases and spread around on the floor of her bedroom and really can’t understand why they won’t play any more!).

My favorite OS hasn’t been developed yest;)

But openSUSE is on a good way to become something near to my #1:wink:

Same answer as the other polls. :sarcastic:

For me it depends what the circumstances are:
Desktop - OpenSUSE (closely followed by Mandriva)
Perimeter Server - OpenBSD
App Server - SLES

I love my Mac.

I also used a lot of distros and OS…I don’t want to talk about past times…but this year’s best distro for me is openSUSE 11.1. Nowadays i like to prefer “user friendly distros”

My Top List o 2008

1. openSUSE 11.1
  2. Ubuntu 8.10
  3. Archlinux

How much is Jobs paying you? :stuck_out_tongue: