What's up with download.opensuse.org?

Trying to install 10.3 on one machine and 11 on another, I get endless time-outs and connection problems with download.opensuse.org. It makes updating or installing OpenSuse a real pain. Our internet connection is working fine and I have no problems otherwise. I have little experience with OpenSuse, but is this normal?

Cheers, Brian

No problem here,
you say - trying to install? Have you installed or not?

What hardware are you running. You say - No other problems - but do you mean with Suse on the internet browsing? or what?

> but is this normal?

it sounds like you opted for a network install…which means each
package is fetched as needed…well, the net is faster and slower
depending on time of day, users etc etc etc…

many (most?) folks find it much simpler (and quick) to download a DVD
image and then install from that…otherwise you ARE gonna suffer
from delays and speed-bumps on the Information Superhighway…

see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

Thanks for your reply.

On machine A I installed 10.3 from the DVD. No problems and everything works fine, but when I try an online update, every 3rd or 4th package downloaded from download.opensuse.org ends with a connection error or a time out. On machine B I tried a 11.0 net install from the DVD, but again nothing but connection problems. (Just download the full 11.0 DVD and going to try that one now.)

If I press Retry enough times, eventually everything gets downloaded, but well…

Could it be that based on my location download.opensuse.org redirects me to a specific server that has problems at the moment?

Like I said I have little experience with Suse/OpenSuse (enough with other distributions btw.), but to me this does not seem normal.

Cheers, Brian

@DenverD

On one machine I was trying a net install, but even as it is (as expected) slower, I would expect it to just do its thing.

But if I’m the only one with those problems, then obviously I am doing something wrong here :slight_smile:

Cheers, Brian

I Noticed while running an update on SuSE 11.0 that the update failed a few times before it actually went through with it. Think there must have been some internet problems last night. but It finally connected and went through without problems. It’s fustrating when that happens but the Net is not a perfect place yet. Some of us still do not have DVD writers and can’t do it that way.

Cheers :slight_smile:

you should be able to check the quality of your line and your ISP system status

some providers get loads of packet loss at busy times because they can’t cope with the traffic

Just tried 10.3’s update. Got an error saying the update site, which I’ve been using all along, had a problem and would be removed from my update options.

I re-setup the online update config in Yast and it said it was successful. Tried updating again and same error.

There is definitely a problem!

There is a problem. You are correct. Best to simply wait until it is corrected. Could be the Net acting up or it could be a “Fedora” type problem since it involves the repositories. I notice that SUSE repo is involved and also Skynet repo and others.

On 2008-09-02, briangr <briangr@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> On machine A I installed 10.3 from the DVD. No problems and everything
> works fine, but when I try an online update, every 3rd or 4th package
> downloaded from download.opensuse.org ends with a connection error or a
> time out. On machine B I tried a 11.0 net install from the DVD, but
> again nothing but connection problems. (Just download the full 11.0 DVD
> and going to try that one now.)
>
> If I press Retry enough times, eventually everything gets downloaded,
> but well…
>
> Could it be that based on my location download.opensuse.org redirects
> me to a specific server that has problems at the moment?
>
> Like I said I have little experience with Suse/OpenSuse (enough with
> other distributions btw.), but to me this does not seem normal.
>
> Cheers, Brian

Where are you located? U.K.? There was a temporary problem with a
British mirror this afternoon, already fixed though.

If you give me details I can find out what went wrong.

Some kind of zypp or yast log would be needed. I need to know which
mirror has been accessed. Unfortunately, yast and zypper don’t show info
about it.

If retry works, it’s likely some mirror that’s failing.

Peter

Thought is limitation. Free your mind.

On 2008-09-02, kc1di <kc1di@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> I Noticed while running an update on SuSE 11.0 that the update failed a
> few times before it actually went through with it. Think there must
> have been some internet problems last night. but It finally connected
> and went through without problems. It’s fustrating when that happens but
> the Net is not a perfect place yet. Some of us still do not have DVD
> writers and can’t do it that way.
>
> Cheers :slight_smile:

There are ways to transparently deal with such failures. Unfortunately
not yet implemented in the installer. Maybe in the future. There is
reason for hope :slight_smile:

http://en.opensuse.org/Libzypp/Failover has information about this.

Peter

Thought is limitation. Free your mind.

> But if I’m the only one with those problems, then obviously I am doing
> something wrong here :slight_smile:

maybe, maybe not…i don’t know what you expect…
it took me three full days to get the DVD iso image for 10.3…

on the other hand i think in several years of using SUSE i’ve never
had a single timeout during an update…

where are you and how reliable is the net there, normally?
have you picked a source nearby?
see: http://en.opensuse.org/Mirrors_Released_Version

and, like Peter said, maybe you just had bad luck with a mirror with
a temp prob…

see caveat: http://tinyurl.com/6aagco
DenverD (Linux Counter 282315) via NNTP, Thunderbird 2.0.0.14, KDE
3.5.7, SUSE Linux 10.3, 2.6.22.18-0.2-default #1 SMP i686 athlon

There seems to be an Issue with the servers where the Repositories are located! I downloaded the Live CD and Installed Open Suse 11 today and I tried the udpates and its dead slow! Going around 400 bytes/sec…

This is a problem indeed with OpenSuse since I’ve tried Ubuntu and Debian since morning and both of them had no issues while updating! I’ve been playing around with different kind of Linux Distro’s Since Ubuntu had way too many bugs and Debian was being a B***h! Way too many restrictions, It was too much work! I had Ubuntu on for a week before I started playing around with different Distros!

These patches really need to step up since I’ve so many things I want to try out in OpenSuse!

Unless you’re a developer or need a repo that is only at download.opensuse.org, then a mirror should be used. If having a problem with it, you can switch to another mirror.

Thanks for the tip mingus725! I added mirror repositories and it’s all good now! :slight_smile:

You’re absolutely right mingus, but what you say contrasts markedly with this statement from the openSuse site entry on mirror selection:

You don’t need to select a mirror yourself. If you use download.opensuse.org … it takes care of everything. This site will automatically select one of the mirrors from a database and redirect the download. See Build_Service/Redirector for (technical) details on how this works.

When I first started using openSuse a couple of years ago, the dreadful slowness of download.opensuse.org nearly caused me to abandon it immediately. Foretunately, I had read about SMART on a forum, and tried it. Suddenly my system came to life.

Recent improvements to the workflow flexibility of YAST2 Software Management module (e.g. being able to select and update repositories after opening it) have finally made it viable, so I now use it in preference to SMART because its interface is much more tuned to our distro.

However, I have 2 rules I follow when installing a new system:

1. Turn off the Internet before I start, just to make sure that I don’t accidentally hit any “update” buttons during installation.

2. First priority after the installation is complete is to change the repo addresses.

Like AceOnline, when using the default download.opensuse.org address, my DL speed can usually be measured in bytes if it works at all. Using a mirror in Korea (the closest to Thailand I could find), I often get 50-60 kB/sec.

Now I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know of mirrors for openSuse Build Service repositories? These are still a problem for me.

2. Is there something inherently inefficient with the download.opensuse.org address system, or should I be looking to contact somebody to fix it for my part of the world?

3. If there is something inherently inefficient with the download.opensuse.org address system, how can we go about getting the text changed on the openSuse website. I wonder how many people have abandoned our distro because they didn’t realise the importance of changing to mirrors.

4. Even after changing to the Korean mirror, I do still miss the SMART option of having a mirrors list, where it automatically changes mirrors in the middle of a download if one is running slowly. How could I go about lobbying for such a facility in Yast? Or alternately, for an option to use SMART as a backend for YAST rather than reinventing the wheel?

@Thailandian -

I’m not quibbling with your post . . . AFAIK the problem a couple of yrs ago was not the server, it was the package management. At the time Smart did a better job of resolving and was much faster and more stable, but the back-end server operation is the same.

And as far as the speed, umm, wouldn’t you expect a mirror that is much closer geographically, and not having the load on it that is on the master back-end, to be much faster?

At any rate, here are the Build Service mirrors Mirrors Development Build - openSUSE and here is a write-up on the set up Mirror Infrastructure - openSUSE. Note also the rsync server; some of the mirrors have rsync directories so they can be mirrored in turn, which would obviously be much better - once set up, you can have a local repository of your own.