Whats the SUSE way to scan?

I have Gimp installed and need to scan some documents.
I installed xsane and upon opening Gimp, there was no xsane to be found. I tried symlinking xsane to ~/gimp2-10/ and a few others with no luck. Nor is there much about it on the topic on Google. I assume I am doing it completely wrong.

Whats the SUSE method of scanning a doc in gimp? A way that will work.

The same way(s) as with other distros. You likely need to install xsane first. My preferred scanning app is simple-scan, but some KDE users may prefer skanlite, and Gnome has a dedicated document scanning app as well.

I can’t get any plug-ins to pop up in gimp.

I’m getting “device not found” when trying to launch the apps independently.

I tried

> ln -s /usr/bin/xsane ~/.config/GIMP/2.10.28/plug-ins/

and

[FONT=monospace]> ln -s /usr/bin/xsane ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins/

and I tried sane the same.

…as user and not root

the printer will print a test page.

> Canon MG3600 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.15 [/FONT]

Here in gimp, I go to File-Create-then I can choose to scan in my case I use xsane

The question here is, is xsane able to run by running “xsane”

A working install of standalone xsane is a hard prerequisite for its invocation in gimp. Does xsane work on your system? Can you save the scan to a file? Check the installed packages by running:

**erlangen:~ #** zypper se -is sane                 
Loading repository data... 
Reading installed packages... 

S  | Name                     | Type    | Version     | Arch   | Repository 
---+--------------------------+---------+-------------+--------+----------------------- 
i  | libKF5Sane5              | package | 22.04.3-1.1 | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS) 
i  | libksane-lang            | package | 22.04.3-1.1 | noarch | Haupt-Repository (OSS) 
i  | libsane1                 | package | 1.1.1-1.6   | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS) 
i  | sane-backends            | package | 1.1.1-1.6   | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS) 
i  | sane-backends-autoconfig | package | 1.1.1-1.6   | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS) 
i+ | xsane                    | package | 0.999-3.15  | x86_64 | Haupt-Repository (OSS) 
**erlangen:~ #**

Try gimp > file > create > XSane.

Prove that xsane is installed (as per the command Karl shared already).

Does the following report the scanner when connected?

scanimage -L

BTW, is it a USB or network-connected device?

User needs to be in scanner group?

groups

For USB-connected scanners, the ‘lp’ group is normally applicable (as that what the scanner udev rules typically assign). For network connected devices there is no such requirement.

what is the scanner you have ?

I ask because my Epson Eco-tank will NOT scan with xsane, it REQUIRES the Epson scan driver and to use the Epson scan tool

I am using the Epson Perfection V39 USB scanner. I installed:

**erlangen:~ #** zypper se -is --repo myrepo imagescan 
Loading repository data... 
Reading installed packages... 

S  | Name                         | Type    | Version                    | Arch   | Repository 
---+------------------------------+---------+----------------------------+--------+----------- 
i+ | imagescan                    | package | 3.65.0-1epson4opensuse15.2 | x86_64 | myrepo 
i+ | imagescan-plugin-gt-s650     | package | 1.0.3-1epson4opensuse15.2  | x86_64 | myrepo 
i+ | imagescan-plugin-networkscan | package | 1.1.4-1epson4opensuse15.2  | x86_64 | myrepo 
i+ | imagescan-plugin-ocr-engine  | package | 1.0.3-1epson4opensuse15.2  | x86_64 | myrepo 
**erlangen:~ #**

Xsane readily detected the scanner without further tinkering and never failed so far.

If you’re using gimp, I suppose you are scanning images.

In case you’re actually scanning text, and gimp isn’t really required, there was a post on users@lists.opensuse.org this morning that mentioned skanpage. I had not tried that one, so I installed it:

% sudo zypper install skanpage skanpage-lang tesseract-ocr-traineddata-eng
% export TESSDATA_PREFIX=/usr/share/tessdata
% skanpage

I only need to scan English, so I did not bother with the other languages (if no tesseract language is installed, it will crash on exporting to PDF ).

It handle a multi-page scan from my document feeder well.

The OCR option was OK on a modern flyer. The OCR didn’t work very well when I scanned a landscape photocopy of a pair pages from old book, but the images were fine.

One thing that I did not like was that it overwrites the previous export file without warning.

I’ve since put the required definition of the environment variable for language file location into /etc/profile.d/tesseract-local.sh and /etc/profile.d/tesseract-local.csh

1 Like