What's that?

What’s the creature in the openSUSE logo? It looks like a gecko.

The SUSE mascot - the chameleon named Geeko

SUSE was founded on September 2, 1992 in Germany, under the name Gesellschaft für Software- und Systementwicklung mbH (S.u.S.E. GmbH), meaning: “Software and System Development, Inc.”. The first GNU/Linux distribution (S.u.S.E. Linux 1.0) was released in 1994 - making SUSE one of the oldest existing GNU/Linux distributions. Originally it was merely a German version of an American distribution called Slackware, but later SUSE has become one of the leading distributions. In 2003 SUSE was acquired by Novell and today development is distributed all over the world, but mainly located in Nuremberg, Germany, Prague in the Czech Republic and in the U.S.

In 2005 the openSUSE project was started with the goal of opening up development and involve the community more. openSUSE provides the base for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server/Desktop and Open Enterprise Server.

In 2010 Novell was acquired by Attachmate. The deal was finalized in April 2011, and one of the first actions of Attachmate was to split SUSE into a separate business unit independant of Novell, and move SUSE headquarters back to Nuremberg, Germany.

Here is the information I found on the subject above.

Thank You,

My chameleon has problem focusing on me during boot and shutdown. Is that common on 12.1 or is it only my chameleon?

Am 21.12.2011 13:26, schrieb quinness:
>
> My chameleon has problem focusing on me during boot and shutdown. Is
> that common on 12.1 or is it only my chameleon?
>
It is a 12.1 feature (artwork).

PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.4 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Actually, Geeko is just watching your back while you wait for your copy of openSUSE 12.1 to fire up, making sure there are no surprises for you when your new session awakes (or goes to sleep).:slight_smile:

Thank You,