what's a better way to watch flash videos?

Besides using Firefox (or insert your favorite browser here) to watch youtube videos and shows on network television station sites like CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. what’s a better way? What’s a more effective way I should say. My system is kinda old and my graphics card is not that high performing. Can I download these videos and run them in a dedicated linux movie player or something? Is the solution to free up CPU by shutting down services? If so, I’m not sure what else I can shut down.

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.20GHz
Memory 2.0 GiB

Am 23.02.2012 01:36, schrieb KEB64:
>
> Besides using Firefox (or insert your favorite browser here) to watch
> youtube videos
I can only recommend minitube for youtube as a standalone application.
It is much less resource hungry and smoother for me.
http://software.opensuse.org include the home projects. You need at
least a 1.5.x version.

PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.8.0 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

Thanks for the tip. I installed minitube and I’m getting a gstreamer plugin needed error. When attempting to install the plugin the install fails.

I don’t think it’s THAT old machine. You did not provide info about the vidcard though.

Not sure if other plugins are available for the other websites you mentioned but for youtube, if you feel bold I would suggest you try XBMC and use the youtube video plugin with it… The plugin has quite a lot of features and configuration options.

It’s not a mini-app but a full media player but it’s worth a try I’d say.

From xbmc wiki I saw that it suppose to be available in packman repo but I did not find it through software.opensuse.org/search

XBMC info: XBMC

Youtube plugin info: [RELEASE] YouTube (Video) Plugin - De facto default standard YouTube Addon for XBMC - XBMC Community Forum](http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=79487) and https://code.google.com/p/youtubexbmc/

Cheers.

Am 23.02.2012 03:46, schrieb KEB64:
> Thanks for the tip. I installed minitube and I’m getting a gstreamer
> plugin needed error. When attempting to install the plugin the install
> fails.
>
Which version from which source did you download and how did you install
it?
What was the exact name of the gstreamer package?
I think your problem can be solved easily but I need details.

nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

I’m using the onboard video mentioned in my sig. I need to delete the nVidia info there. I’m not using that anymore. It blew. :expressionless: So there is no hardware acceleration going on, I’m using software acceleration only. Really eats at the CPU…

OpenSUSE factory contrib, MiniTube 1.5 - I installed it from the link you gave. I used the one-click method. The msg I get while attempting to run a youtube video is this:
"Minitube requires additional plugins to decode this file
The following plugins are required:

MPEG-4 AAC
H.264

Do you want to search for these now?"

Of course I choose “Search”

The dialogue screen disappears, then reappears constantly until I exit minitube. Even if I choose cancel, it reappears until I exit minitube then click cancel. Before when I tried it for the first time it found a gstreamer plugin and when I attempted to install it it failed somehow. I can’t remember how. I seem to remember this happening with other sound apps in the past. My system works well otherwise the way I have it setup. I have an M-Audio Producer USB mic that I use, a camera for Skype and recording videos and stuff. Just point me toward gathering the relevant info you need to diagnose, I’m here. Thanks.

Am 23.02.2012 03:46, schrieb KEB64:
>
> Thanks for the tip. I installed minitube and I’m getting a gstreamer
> plugin needed error. When attempting to install the plugin the install
> fails.
>
Install the package gstreamer-0_10-ffmpeg (packman) then it should work.

nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

On 2012-02-24 05:56, KEB64 wrote:

> I’m using the onboard video mentioned in my sig. I need to delete the
> nVidia info there. I’m not using that anymore. It blew. :expressionless: So there is
> no hardware acceleration going on, I’m using software acceleration only.
> Really eats at the CPU…

Well, what you need is hardware accel driver for whatever hardware you have
now.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Thanks. Is there anyway to install an alternative without installing Packman? I don’t use it currently.

Edit… I have this installed
mjpegtools - MJPEG Video Capture and Processing Tools
The mjpegtools allow for capture, playback, processing, and simple editing of MJPEG AV data. The hardware I/O applications are intended for use with Zoran MJPEG framegrabber-based hardware (see the zoran-driver package), but the processing tools can be used with MJPEG data from other sources as well.

I don’t have the Zoran PCI card anymore so manybe the trouble lies in removing all software for THAT card??

BTW I haven’t forgotten about this post, I’m working from one angle at a time right now. If I can’t get minitube to work I will go this route. Even if I can get it to work I’ll probably try this as well. One thing at a time.

Am 24.02.2012 22:16, schrieb KEB64:
>
> Thanks. Is there anyway to install an alternative without installing
> Packman? I don’t use it currently.
>
If you do not use codecs from packamn I am afraid you will not have much
chance to make the videos play at all no matter what kind of player you use.
But maybe someone else knows a different way.

nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

This??
libgdata

About

libgdata is a GLib-based library for accessing online service APIs using the GData protocol — most notably, Google’s services. It provides APIs to access the common Google services, and has full asynchronous support.

Plans

evolution-data-server had its home-grown GData library replaced with libgdata (bgo#580021) a while ago, and libgdata continues to be used in the Totem YouTube plugin. In time, libgdata should be mature enough for general usage on the desktop.

Am 25.02.2012 20:06, schrieb KEB64:
> This??
> LIBGDATA
> About
>
> libgdata is a GLib-based library for accessing online service APIs
> using the GData protocol — most notably, Google’s services. It
> provides APIs to access the common Google services, and has full
> asynchronous support.
>
What has this to do with playing a video stream? You need the
appropriate codec, offline or online makes no difference here.

nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

It was a question that I hoped would be elaborated on thats all. I ended up installing the media package from Packman and switching some vendor preferences. Then I installed an add-on Youtube downloader for Firefox. Totem now plays the video download much smoother than in-the-browser.

In the past I’ve had conflict issues with Packman vs OpenSuse software when it comes to audio and video so I was tying to avoid that contention. Hey, every situation is different. I appreciate the forum here soooooooo much. I just don’t always know what to do. I’m happy to have found a workable solution to watching YouTube vids. My CPU still runs high, (like in the low 80s) but the video output is very acceptable. It loses a few too many frames running the very highest quality, but the downloader allows me to download several optional formats and qualities. Works for me!

Actually I quoted the wrong text there sorry. It does have something to do with YouTube streaming. Point is moot though.

On 2012-02-25 21:26, KEB64 wrote:
> Then I installed an add-on Youtube downloader for
> Firefox. Totem now plays the video download much smoother than
> in-the-browser.

So, what’s the name of that add-on? So that people searching for solutions
find it.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

Good point!
It’s called** Easy YouTube Video Downloader 5.9** on FireFox web browser.

FYI - If you’re considering Video Downloaders,

I’ve been using Clipgrab for several years now, except for a rough stretch about a year ago, it’s been reliable d/l YouTube (and various other formats). YMMV.

Once downloaded, you can use your media player of choice to view.

TS

Downloading videos from youtube is one thing. Using SMPlayer to stream is another. I’ve been using the Firefox add-on UnPlug for some time and it allows me to simply copy links to the video files on youtube et al to the clipboard. Feeding the link to SMPlayer, for example, is a piece of cake.

A sceenshot:
http://thumbnails49.imagebam.com/17780/1cc7cf177791722.jpg](http://www.imagebam.com/image/1cc7cf177791722)