What the best practice to migrate KDE 11.2 settings to 11.3?

I installed 11.3 as a “fresh” install (not upgrade) into a second partition, so now I have both my current 11.2 and the new 11.3 as a dual boot.

I’d like to migrate my old KDE (4.4.3) settings to the new 11.3 (KDE 4.4.4) installation, most importantly KMail and its archived mail folders. My plan was to copy the kmailrc file from the ~/.kde4/share/config/ folder and overwrite the default kmailrc that’s on 11.3 and then replace the ENTIRE ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail/ folder on 11.3 with the one on 11.2 (including the hidden files and folders).

My questions are:

1. would this work, or am I missing other files and folders.
  2. Would I be better off just copying the entire ~/.kde4 folder from 11.2 partition to 11.3?

Thanks!

If you opt for option 2 then all your KDE settings will migrate. That is a strategy I have used and can say I have seen it work.
Besides, assuming you like your KDE settings you might as well go for that option.

Otherwise if you go for option one, you should also bring over “emaildefaults”, “emailidentities”, and “mailtransports” from ~/.kde4/share/config
Additionally I would go for ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/ rather than ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail
That should get all your important bits & settings transferred. I have every reason to believe it will work, however I cannot vouch for it as working from my personal experience.

Alternatively you could just export your mail and then re-import it. Data redundancy reduces stress.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

just copy the entire directory, btw, you can share the home

VampirD

Microsoft Windows is like air conditioning
Stops working when you open a window.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkxAbP0ACgkQJQ+0ABWtaVnozwCguQ5iYK26eMuLXw8lMYaZLJbE
778AoIdtYVglsNiQRL8rg6QKAIX21UcW
=TYQw
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Got it - as recommended, I copied the entire ~/.kde4/share folder from 11.2 to 11.3 and everything seems to work fine!