what should i do that i am able to listen to a .mid file ?

hello dear community,

running OpenSuse 11.4 and KDE4.7

i have amarok installed and all is nice!

what should i do that i am able to listen to a .mid file ?

what d o i have to do to make this file hearable!?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Rhythm_B6_-_G_C_D_C.mid

btw: it is from a site where you are can learn how to play the guitar… see Gitarre: Lagerfeuerschlag – Wikibooks, Sammlung freier Lehr-, Sach- und Fachbücher

Love to hear from you

greetings
db1

On 11/12/2011 12:36 PM, dilbertone wrote:
>
> Love to hear from you

have you done this yet?
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/advanced-how-faq-read-only/452883-multimedia-one-click.html

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

On 2011-11-12 14:31, DenverD wrote:

> have you done this yet?
> http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/advanced-how-faq-read-only/452883-multimedia-one-click.html

I think MIDI is not covered there.

Either the card supports it, of you have to use timidity as a server.
Perhaps fluidsynth.

And I had limited luck with that.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 11/12/2011 02:58 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> I think MIDI is not covered there.

oh!

DD
openSUSE®, the “German Automobiles” of operating systems

VLC at least supports MIDI through fluidsynth, so with the VLC Phonon backend Amarok should be able to play it. Probably GStreamer also has a plugin…
But the problem with MIDI is that you require the instruments sounds, and there are not a lot of free (as in free speech) of those…

Fluidsynth at least uses the SoundFount2 format. So the first step would be to download a .sf2 file from S. Christian Collins–composer, pianist and technology addict, SoundFont Downloads or whatever other place and point VLC to it.

hi there -thx for answering

is there no way at all - to get this thing workin with the amarok ?!

On 2011-11-12 19:56, dilbertone wrote:
>
> hi there -thx for answering
>
> is there no way at all - to get this thing workin with the amarok ?!

I know that timidity can work as a server, for any program. But I have only
managed to emulate a piano.

I remember old soundblaster cards that did come with midi native, more than
ten years ago. Now they don’t. There is no /dev/midi port.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

With VLC and the FluidSynth soundfoundts from S. Christian Collins–composer, pianist and technology addict works just fine. But with phonon-backend-vlc 0.3.2 it fails to detect the soundfount file, so it doesn’t work. Perhaps with phonon-backend-vlc 0.4.1 it will work, but it is only available for openSUSE 12.1, not 11.4… And to play it in Amarok there could be still a problem because of taglib.

Anyway for me it’s OK if I can play it in VLC.

Hi,

My OpenSuse version is 11.3 with 4.4.4 release 3.
I was able to one-click install the Christian Collins soundfonts (called GeneralUser) from PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket GeneralUser.
Then I start fluidsynth like this:

fluidsynth -l -s -i -aalsa -o audio.period-size=940 /usr/share/sounds/sf2/GeneralUser_GS_FluidSynth.sf2

possibly in kde autostart and I can play midi files (didn’t try with Amarok, I use vanBasco’s media player in Wine).

But the main reason I’m writing this is that when fluidsynth is running I can’t play musical CDs with KsCd or with Amarok. Also, kde does not play sounds when events occur (such as login or logout). On the other hand I can play musical CDs with VLC or Kaffeine.

Hope this is useful to anyone running fluidsynth and experiencing similar problems.