What recently changed regarding to Flash support?

Hi all,
I have had Nuvola Player installed for quite some time, using it for Deezer without problems.
Since a couple days, Nuvola complaints that it cannot find the Flash plugin.

I see that Nuvola is looking for browser plugins in /usr/lib64/browser-plugins/.
This is what I have in that directory:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     28 apr 29 11:16 javaplugin.so -> /etc/alternatives/javaplugin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 437520 mag  2 23:04 libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  77048 apr 27 04:38 skypebuttons.so

I think Nuvola probably is not able to use libfreshwrapper-flahplayer.so, but - as I said - I had no problems up until a couple days ago.

This happened on two computers running Tumbleweed, so it must be something that happened due to updates.

Does anybody know what happened? How do I fix it?

I could install the plain flash player, but I’d prefer not to do that because the plain flash player is still at version 11. Also I don’t think I have ever had it installed, and still Nuvola was working.

Please help.

Thank you in advance!
Cris

I’m not familiar with nuvola, but try launching it from a terminal with ‘–debug’ option, and examine output.

Hi Deano,
thank you for your reply.

I tried it, but it did not shed any light.
Here is the relevant part of the output (red highlight is mine):

(...)
Runner: [DEBUG    Nuvola] FormatSupport.vala:103: Trying to play /usr/share/nuvolaplayer3/audio/audiotest.mp3.
Runner: [DEBUG    Nuvola] FormatSupport.vala:103: Pipeline state changed from NULL to READY.
Runner: [DEBUG    Nuvola] FormatSupport.vala:103: Pipeline state changed from READY to PAUSED.
Runner: [DEBUG    Nuvola] FormatSupport.vala:103: Pipeline state changed from PAUSED to PLAYING.
Runner: [DEBUG    Nuvola] FormatSupport.vala:103: End of stream for file /usr/share/nuvolaplayer3/audio/audiotest.mp3.
Runner: [DEBUG    Nuvola] FormatSupportCheck.vala:145: Nuvola.WebPlugin: Skype Buttons for Kopete (enabled, not flash) at /usr/lib64/browser-plugins/skypebuttons.so: Mime Type x-skype for Skype Buttons
Runner: [DEBUG    Nuvola] FormatSupportCheck.vala:145: Nuvola.WebPlugin: IcedTea-Web Plugin (using IcedTea-Web 1.6.2 (suse-1.6.2-x86_64)) (enabled, not flash) at /usr/lib64/browser-plugins/javaplugin.so: The <a href="http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/IcedTea-Web">IcedTea-Web Plugin</a> executes Java applets.
Runner: [WARNING  Nuvola] FormatSupportCheck.vala:152: No Flash plugin has been found.
Runner: [DEBUG    Nuvola] WebAppWindow.vala:170: Sidebar position: 947
Worker: [DEBUG    Nuvola] WebExtension.vala:140: Window object cleared: http://www.deezer.com/profile/723079201, 0x278a710, 0x7f9e60003720, 0x7f9e0ad5b140
(...)

So it appears that Nuvola does not know how to handle libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so, though it had no problems a few days ago.
I see that libfreshwrapper-flashplayer.so is dated May, the second. Could it be that something has recently changed in that file, that Nuvola cannot use it anymore?

Cris

While waiting for help here, it may be of benefit to also seek support from

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/nuvola-player-users

If a bug report is required…

https://github.com/tiliado/nuvolaplayer/wiki/Bug-Reporting-Guidelines

do you have flash installed?
A few months ago Flash was removed from the non-oss TW repo
https://en.opensuse.org/Adobe_Flash_Player
do you have the packman repo, just install flash from packman
Flash was a recommended package for TW and was preselected for install, if you want flash you need to install it from adobe or from packman
http://packman.links2linux.org/package/flash-player/710165

This is what I have:

S | Name                              | Type       | Version                     | Arch   | Archivio                  
--+-----------------------------------+------------+-----------------------------+--------+--------------------------
i | chromium-pepper-flash             | package    | 21.0.0.213-1.1              | x86_64 | Packman Repository        
(...)
  | flash-player                      | package    | 11.2.202.616-1.1            | x86_64 | Packman Repository
(...)

And as I told earlier in this thread, I don’t think I’ve ever had the “old” flash player installed.

Cris

Thank you Deano, I posted my question there, too.

Cris

From the above output you have pepperflash installed but not regular flash, I tool a look at their site and they use regular flash, the ancient 11.2, maybe freshplayerplugin changed something that broke it’s wrapper, this has little to do with opensuse or flash but with freshplayerplugin maybe ask there, I just don’t understand why are you avoiding regular flash it’s the one officially needed by Nuvola
https://tiliado.github.io/nuvolaplayer/documentation/3.1/install.html#fedora-flash
I used the fedora info as fedora is the only rpm distro they officially support.
Where did you install Nuvola from as it is available from the multimedia:apps repo
https://software.opensuse.org/package/nuvolaplayer
if you installed it with zypper from an opensuse repository all dependencies would be automatically resolved and you can get updates with packagekit

You just said it: regular flash on Linux is ancient, which also means it is less secure. I know Adobe is backporting security fixes to Linux’ Flash, but it is nevertheless based on an ancient codebase which is inherently less secure. Moreover, pepperflash runs in a sandbox, while regular flash doesn’t.

Yes, I installed it from there but without adding the repo. I’m concerned that that repo will conflict with packman, shouldn’t I?

BTW I know how to resolve the dependency, but that’s not what I’m asking. What I’m really asking is: what is it that was changed in recent Tumbleweed updates that made Nuvola not work with pepperflash?

If this is not the place to ask then OK: I’ll be asking elsewhere (maybe on the freshplayer forums).

Thank you
Cris

Hi Chris. I got that you want to continue using the pepper flash player, and wondering why the recent apparent refusal of the Nuvola Player to work with it. I haven’t seen Nuvola talked about much here, hence my suggestion to try the Nuvola Player Users forum. Good luck with this. :slight_smile:

OK, so I asked for support on the Nuvola forums and the author asked me to open a bug.
I opened it, and after sending the debug log the author told me that he thinks I’m missing WebKitPluginProcess2.

So I began looking for this file, but it’s nowhere to be found, apparently.
At least it’s not on my system, and “zypper wp” does not find it in any package.

However, there is this package:
libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37

that contains WebKitPluginProcess, so I thought it was the same. Again, the author told me that WebKitPluginProcess and WebKitPluginProcess2 are two different beasts, and that I should also have the second one to make Nuvola behave.

The strange thing is that if I google for that file I find this link that shows me that the package above (libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37) should also contain WebKitPluginProcess2, but that’s not the case at least in Tumbleweed.
That package comes from the main repo.

Does anybody know better than me?

Cris

WebKitPluginProcess2 has been removed/disabled recently.
From webkit2gtk3’s changelog:

Mon Apr 25 14:28:33 UTC 2016 - [EMAIL="zaitor@opensuse.org"]zaitor@opensuse.org
[/EMAIL]  
- Drop pkgconfig(gtk+-2.0) BuildRequires and pass
  -DENABLE_PLUGIN_PROCESS_GTK2=OFF to configure. We do no longer
  ship the flash-plugin in openSUSE, and it were the last consumer
  of this functionality. This also have the added bonus of freeing
  zenity and dependant packages of gtk2 dependencies.  

See also https://build.opensuse.org/package/rdiff/openSUSE:Factory/webkit2gtk3?linkrev=base&rev=23

Thank you Wolfi!
So this is the correct answer to my original question: what has recently changed regarding to flash support?

Does this mean that there’s no possibility to have Deezer on Nuvola Player correctly working on openSUSE?
Unfortunately Deezer insists in using Flash :frowning:

But then, why Deezer keeps working as usual in Firefox/Chromium/Vivaldi?
What’s the difference with Nuvola? Is it correct that Nuvola Player is based on Webkit, just like Chromium and Vivaldi?

Cris

As Nuvola Player uses WebKit2GTK3, yes.

But then, why Deezer keeps working as usual in Firefox/Chromium/Vivaldi?

Because Filefox/Chromium/Vivaldi do not use WebKit2GTK3, they come with their own rendering engine.

What’s the difference with Nuvola? Is it correct that Nuvola Player is based on Webkit, just like Chromium and Vivaldi?

Yes.
But only Nuvola (and Epiphany) use the system’s WebKit2GTK3 package.

Note that Gtk2 support has not been dropped from WebKit in general, only the openSUSE GNOME team decided to drop it from WebKit2GTK3, a GTK3 port of WebKit.

Wolfi, I’ve got this suggestion from Nuvola Player’s author:

You could try to fill a bug report against the openSUSE’s libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 package and ask them to enable WebKitPluginProcess2 again and move the WebKitPluginProcess2 executable to a separate libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37-gtk2 package. As a result, the main libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37 package will still be without any GTK+ 2 dependencies and users who need Flash could be able to install the GTK+ 2 dependent libwebkit2gtk-4_0-37-gtk2 package. Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu do that exactly.

What do you think about it?

Thank you in advance
Cris

Well, that’s what I would have suggested too.

If you want Gtk2 (and therefore flash-player) support back into gtk2webkit3, you should file a bug report (component “GNOME”).
I don’t know whether they will really add it back or not, though. Removing it was a conscious decision apparently…
Though splitting it out into a separate sub package (that could be required by the nuvola package) sounds like a good (and acceptable) compromise.

Another option would be to build it yourself on OBS of course.

I opened bug 982992.

Thank you everybody for your help!
Cris

Thank you for opening the bug :slight_smile: a really interesting problem. I wonder how/if it will be solved.

Just got this reply to my bug:

Let me start with: Your request is in no way unreasonable or wrong.
However, Nuvola player is not a app we have in Tumbleweed, so my own willingness to do the needed work to fix this is rather low. Also I favor the fact that we are not even depending on gtk2 for build now.
Furthermore, as of now we are “in sync” with what SLE is pushing for their servicepack, and I really really like the idea that webkitgtk is going to be maintained in next Leap by the enterprise team.
That said I would probably ack a submit request making the proper changes, but someone else will have to do the work.

I understand that my problem is not affecting many users, but if there is someone able and willing to do the necessary work (I am not) I would be very grateful if he did.
Otherwise, I guess I’ll have to live with the limitation (i.e. without using Nuvola Player).

Thank you in advance.
Cris