What makes openSUSE better than Ubuntu?

• In my opinion I think openSUSE has the best looking KDE desktop out of the box than any other distro.
  • Everyone on the openSuse forums are very friendly and knowledgeable.
  • It’s backed by Novel who is a huge contributer to the Linux Kernel (no. 3 just behind Redhat)
  • Yast makes life easier.
  • The Lizard is badass!!

:smiley:

What I like about openSUSE’s DVD is you can configure what packages you want to add / remove at install time. And if I want both KDE and GNOME desktop installed, I can do so with the DVD as well.

And some plus things about the DVD is you can use it for rescue / repair. Which is a life saver for me (reinstalling GRUB).

That’s precisely what happens in Launchpad.
You also want to watch http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3385088017824733336 for the details (focus on the part with the ecosystem).

Yes, though Novell did hack me off a bit, round 10.3 with frustrations round bug reports. At least I did get some sort of response, with Launchpad at that time, noone even seemed to read them for triage.

Last few releases, I’ve had a few reports worked through to solution, with kernel hacker paid by SuSE Linux, though that does not mean you won’t get requests and patches from someone like Alan Cox :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot! I remember the other video, but this make more sense to me. I like Gregs humour :slight_smile:

Ubuntu is aimed at completely new Linux users who want to get started with their machines quickly without knowing much and having to ‘do things themselves’. In other words, call Ubuntu the ‘Home Basic’ version of Linux distros (no, I don’t like Vista/Win7, but there’s no other way to explain).

openSUSE, although it’s also a very easy distro to use, is different (and in my opinion, better) than Ubuntu since it has so many features not found in Ubuntu. Take YaST, for example, excellent Gnome and KDE, good community support (though Ubuntu has that too), and configurability. To a long-time Ubuntu user, a green theme would be a blessing too. :slight_smile:

But to a complete Linux newbie, unless he has someone patient and helpful to help him out, I would not recommend either Ubuntu or openSUSE, but a very easy-to-use distro called Linux Mint that does not need any major configuration after it is installed. It usually ‘just works’. Once you have gotten your feet wet with it, consider switching to a more powerful distro like openSUSE.

Good analysis. I tend to agree. I like openSUSE better, and in Gnome, but why? Because of the configuration utilities, AND the software availability. Ubuntu takes from Debian, which has huge repository counts, but I think openSUSE is going on a better path that is more open to non-repository software. Also, the Debian/Ubuntu repositories may be huge but they also contain a LOT of older packages that are either ncurses, or command line, or not maintained, or are extremely specific to a small niche use, or any combination of those. Translate to I found a lot of the repository unusable. When I have apps I want or need that have a linux track developed, I find them easier to install in openSUSE (so far).

Oh, and I almost forgot - fonts. For some reason, the font rendering in my openSUSE is better than my 9.10 Ubuntu which is better than my Debian Lenny. Small matter, but makes a big appearance difference.

Yeh but Ubuntu has as much configurability as openSUSE does, perhaps even more so where Gnome is concerned as it has a few things I like such as quick lounge applet and nautilus-wallpaper, and there is Mint menu which I think is better then Slab in terms of how useful it is to new users.
Now KDE is a different matter, KDE in Kubuntu is known to be a black sheep amoung many.
Right now Kubuntu’s KDE4 is very buggy, its more buggy now then its ever been before.

Simple mobile broadband works in 11.2 and doesn’t in karmic. plus I like KDE I only stopped using suse when 11.0 came out cos I had tons of trouble mounting drives but no probs with 11.2. I think it is a shame unetbootin is not in the repos and does not seem to work correctly when loaded from bin.

GREAT thread here, folks. Makes me feel good using OpenSUSE… hahahah! Now did you see what Distrowatch tells about our Distro? Take a look at this snipped:

Even if this bondage to Microsoft is considered to be a friendly one, it makes me shiver. Through the Link to Microsoft, it feels a little like I never really got away from using their products. Furthermore, if M$ does something unfavourable, it might shed a bad light on OpenSUSE… where´s the possibility of “polishing the Image”? :wink:

I dislike Ubuntu’s policy for passing fixes upstream. They route their fixes through Debian which results in a **significant delay **in other distributions benefiting from their fixes, contrary to Fedora and SuSE where such fixes get passed and implemented upstream much quicker.

IMHO given the massive size of the Ubuntu user base to the smaller Debian user base, suggests to me that approach is backward and must be changed.

As a strong believer in the open source free software movement, and a strong believer in the benefit of users freely sharing, that reason is sufficient to stop me from using Ubuntu.

not that I have much experience, but I have just had a better experience on openSUSE, it seems less buggy, and there is something about that lizard I just love it. That and the support for mono is great!

I am a new Linux user as of the last month. I started on Ubuntu because a search of Google comes with many about Ubuntu. I installed Karmic and it worked great except for issues with Flash (games, videos and scrolling on websites). I then tried Mint and had the same issues (till I found out it’s based on Ubuntu). I then tried Fedora 12, Mandriva 2010, PCLinuxOS and a few others. Only SUSE worked perfectly on sites heavy with Flash.

My perception as a new user is that Mint is by far the easiest. Second is Ubuntu for ease of use because the menu system is just straightforward and easy to transition from Windows. Things like adding software (sometimes), updating, getting proprietary drivers to work, etc. seem easier on Mint and Ubuntu.

However, once acclimated to KDE and SUSE, the system seems superior in looks, functionality and performance. I still am not a fan of the menu system, but I have adjusted and now know where to look for what I want. I like SUSE and it’s fast for what I do. I’ll stick with it!

You can easily change the SUSE menu in KDE to the default one of KDE, just by right-clicking on the menu icon and choosing ‘switch to classic menu style’. I never was a fan of the KickOff SUSE menu and never will be so I use KDE’s default

Here is a post I wrote about 1 month ago on another thread. It sums up everything pretty well. I made some edits to edit to make it fit with Ubuntu since it was on Mandriva vs. openSuSE.

BTW, I completely agree with oldcpu. Ubuntu’s way of pushing updates has often cause problems and it needs to be fixed IMO.

I tried Ubuntu before and I think it’s a great distro for
people who want to know more about Linux and are not used
to it for for people who like to keep it simple. Real’simple…
Overall, I believe that Ubuntu is a great distro but I think
that there are not enough options/tools for more advanced
users. I still use it sometimes when I accidently f**k up
openSuSE to repair it or when Im tool lazy to repair it I
use it to play my games or browse the web when openSuSE
doesnt work(often because of nVidia, though usually all I do
is replace my xorg.conf with a backed up version.). I used
it for a while but since I didn’t really like Gnome, I
started looking for another distro that would use another
DE and that would be more complete. Then I found openSUSE
and 3 things made it my main/only
distro;

1. Stable KDE desktop

I like using KDE because it is so much more stable than many
other KDE distros I have tried. In 11.2, KDE4.3 is so stable
that it hasn’t even crashed once since I installed it on the
release date.

1. Webpin

Who doesn’t like that? An easy to use search that allows you to
get almost anything you want? Sometimes you don’t feel like
doing research or you’re just too lazy.

1. YaST

Who can complain about that? It’s fast, easy, and it works
great! The best thing about YaST is it’s package manager. The
GUI is really nice and simple but it also works great when you
don’t feel like using zypper.

Another great feature about YaST that I love is it text
interface. You know, sometimes you really need to do something
but you f***** up you Xorg so all you can do is use the console.
It works really well and it’s not much different than the GUI
version.

And of course it’s network services are really cool.

Oh! I almost forgot, openSuSE comes with many of the software
you need such as OO.org, Firefox, GIMP, etc… It also
intergrates many apps into openSUSE & KDE such Firefox. And
Novell works on OO.org which makes it that much cooler. Also,
it’s community is really cool and you need help, you can be sure
that you’ll get an answer really fast. It’s also cool for it’s
General chit-chat!

In case if some of you are wondering, I have tried MANY distros
including Slackware, Madriva, Ubuntu, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, Mint, etc…
Tried over 20 so far but I have slowed down after trying
openSUSE for the first time with 10.3

Although 11.1 was a fail in my opinion because of it’s stability,
I believe that Novell made one of the best distros and 11.2 is the
best version of any distro I have tried so far,

I hope that openSUSE will continue improving as it has been
doing for the last couple of years and I hope that I’ll still be
using it!

Opinion on Linux:

I like Linux for many reasons. The first one is it’s stability.
Linux is very stable compared to other OS’s. Then, it’s
security. No need to comment on this, you all know what I mean.
And then there is the fact that I HATE Microsoft 'cause of
personal experiences and the fact that it’s a monopoly and OSX86
doesn’t work correctly (sound issues and & I got a iPod Touch so
I need iTunes but it crashes). And of course the words free &
legal are always cool.

Also, daily updates are cool as you can be sure that your
software can always be updated.

once acclimated to KDE and SUSE, the system seems superior in looks, functionality and performance.

For answer as briefly as possible to your question:no, it isn’t for more advanced users. But maybe it’s for a difference kind of user.
Actually I think is impossible declare what is the best Linux distribution, because all the distributions have their strengths. For example in this moment (in the desktop OS):

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5:

• really stable;
  • support services and documentation media (by Red Hat);
  • Red Hat Network (one of the best system administrator tools);
  • high quality RPM packets;
  • but it’s not free.

Debian 5.0:

• probably is the most stable Linux distribution;
  • constant development and testing of packets (official packets of the most Linux distributions are unstable for Debian philosophy…);
  • are under development “pool” to other kernels (GNU Hurd, Solaris, NetBSD and FreeBSD).
  • but long time of development.

Ubuntu 9.10:

• the easiest Linux distributions to install;
  • the largest online Linux community;
  • many updates and drivers (with automatic install);
  • one of the easiest software package installation;
  • but it isn’t an LTS (Long Term Support) version, and it hasn’t a config control center.

Fedora 12:

• easy and fast to install & use;
  • good driver support (specially for graphics cards);
  • good community;
  • sponsored by Red Hat.

openSuSE Linux 11.2:

• YaST;
  • a customized menu;
  • easy and fast to install;
  • attractive graphics (Sonar, the new theme of GNOME, is really cool);
  • sponsored by Novell;
  • but (least with GNOME) it has many bug not resolved.

Mandriva Linux 2010:

• Mandriva Control Center;
  • a customized menu;
  • easy and fast to install & use;
  • distinctive feel applications;
  • but a small online community.

It’s the polish; that is, the attention to detail in openSUSE compared to Ubuntu. Ubuntu has far too many niggling bugs that Canonical refuses to address year after year. And when new users try Linux, they usually reach for Ubuntu first, immediately begin to notice the myriad bugs, and then judge that all other Linux distros must be worse.

openSUSE is stable throughout, pays attention to graphics, and allows the user to make simple customizations – such as auto-login – that other distros won’t even consider. Lastly, openSUSE devs work very hard to listen to its users. It’s extended upgrade cycle is a boon to me because I’m not constantly changing my desktop.

install linux is funny

try every distribution you want and start using the one makes you feel better, that distro is the best (for you)

Wisdom from Rome !!! :wink: