What ISO for RPI3 Arm8?

Hi, all,

So I’m still playing around with opensuse here and I have to say, the version selection process is somewhat confusing to figure out.

Im trying to install opensuse on a raspberry Pi3 with Arm8, I’m looking for a minimal network installation that I can just copy to the ssd card.

Im finding it pretty difficult to actually figure out what version of opensuse jeos to download, that will support my RPi3.

I think this is the version I need but, there seems to be a lot of options.
I think I need to use:-

openSUSE-Tumbleweed-ARM-JeOS-raspberrypi3.aarch64-2018.04.30-Build2.8.raw.xz

But I’m not sure if this is the best version.
I don’t need a GUI installed on this Pi, I just need a terminal.

Any help appreciated in minimizing my confusion… :X

What makes you think that any RPi has an ARM 8?
All RPis have Broadcom ARMs.
Unless you have some kind of RPi “clone?”

If you have a real RPi3,
The following page should be your guide for where to download your image, how to burn to your storage and more

https://en.opensuse.org/HCL:Raspberry_Pi3

The JeOS is very stripped down.
I generally recommend the X11, it should be about the same size of a “text only” system without being stripped of common tools. The xserver can be disabled if you wish, otherwise it can be useful for running a graphical web browser on some websites, perhaps only to find the Download page.

TSU

Tsu,

The nomenclature around ARM processors is pretty confused. The RPi-3 has a Cortex-A23 processor [https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-3-specs-benchmarks/] which is one model of ARM processor in the 64-bit ARMv8-A architecture family – which is NOT an ARM8 processor (just as you’re saying). [List of ARM processors - Wikipedia]

But I think that most people these days who talk about ARM8 are really talking about the architecture, not the ARM8 processor family, and we seem to mostly refer to that as aarch64 in Linux terms.

That gets even more complicated since the ARMv8-A architecture supports both 64-bit ARM8-architecture and 32-bit ARM7-architecture. So Raspbian still runs 32-bit ARM7 on the RPi-3 even though it’s capable of 64-bit. They’ve said repeatedly that they have no plans for a 64-bit version of Raspbian and instead refer to SUSE those interested in exploring a 64-bit ARM system. That’s why I’m here. (I tried Fedora, too, but it was not ready for prime time when I tried it, and openSUSE aarch64 has been stable for well over a year.) But if you’re interested in performance, 32-bit Raspbian substantially outperforms 64-bit SUSE or Fedora on the same hardware (Pi-3B) – which I think is one of the points the Raspberry folks are making.

Bp_tec,

If you’re running on a RPi-3B+ (note the plus), I’d advise against Tumbleweed at this time. It doesn’t have the drivers needed for the new hardware, and so far I haven’t seen any updates out to provide them. However, the Leap 15.0 distribution has updated drivers, installs and boots just fine, and is really fast on the RPi-3B+.

If you’re running a RPi-3B (NO plus), Tumbleweed or Leap 15.0 would work just fine (or Leap 42.3 – note that sequencing has been renumbered and 15.0 succeeds 42.3). Generally Tumbleweed (or “TW”) major updates come out more frequently and may be less stable, as they seem to be proving ground for new versions. Leap 15.0 would be a good, stable choice. Check the general download directory here for the latest release: http://download.opensuse.org/ports/aarch64/distribution/leap/15.0/appliances/

And, again, if you’re running the 3B or 3B+ and wanting the 64-bit architecture, then you’re on the right track with regard to naming conventions and the download you identified would work just fine.

If you’re NOT on a 3B or 3B+, none of the aarch64 downloads will work: earlier Pi models use 32-bit ARM7-architecture processors that don’t support aarch64.

I hope this helps. Yes, there are a bewildering variety of options when you’re just starting. But the members of this forum have been generous with their time and expertise in helping others – novices like me. I hope I’ve given back a little.

@**hdtodd,

Thx for your post.
It should be noted that whether you inspect the download directory directly as you suggest or use the HCL:RPi3 link I provided, they both point to the same images you should install on your RPi3.

The HCL:RPi3 links will always be updated to point to images as they’re updated in the Downloads directory.

TSU