What is the relationship between Aeon and Kalpa?

@malcolmlewis : Sorry, this might be a dumb question but what is the fundamental difference between the openSUSE community and those “third parties”? Aren’t both just “a bunch of volunteers” using the same code base and probably the same build environment (OBS)?

@susejunky they do not have the openSUSE blessing :wink:, likely do not conform to the requirements, open source only (think patents, propriatary etc).

The purpose of the openSUSE Board is to lead the overall project. The main tasks for members of the board are:

Act as a central point of contact
    Help resolve conflicts
    Communicate community interests to SUSE
    Facilitate communication with all areas of the community
    Facilitate decision making processes where needed.
    Initiate discussions about new project wide initiatives

The board should provide guidance and support existing governance structures, but shouldn't direct or control development, since community mechanisms exist to accomplish the goals of the project. The board should document decisions and policies. 

1 Like

To be an “Official” Product, as I understand it (and lets be clear here, there’s not really any rules written down anywhere) a project like Kalpa Needs to do a few things:

I don’t actually know the status of Downstream projects like GeckoLinux or RegattaOS, and where they are, in regards to any of those points, I’ve never installed them, but I believe they may do things like including Non-OSS software in their default installations (Like Steam, or the NVIDIA Proprietary Drivers), or other things that would be in violation of the points listed above.

That’s not meant to disparage any of those projects, it’s FOSS Software after all, and as long as they’re complying with the licensing of the software they’re shipping, and supporting their “Product” they’re free to do as they like.

That being said, Those “Third Party Projects” generally shouldn’t be doing the following:

• Using the openSUSE Trademarks in ways that violate them
  • Stating or implying Official Status as part of the openSUSE Project
  • Relying on openSUSE Support Platforms (Forums, IRC, Matrix, etc) to support your users (This one isn’t a rule, more something I find personally distasteful, and consider a bit rude)

There are probably things I missed in there, or things I got wrong, but I feel that’s a good rough outline of what the difference between “Official” and “Third Party” means, when talking about Distributions “Based On” openSUSE.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!

As I not only use openSUSE (mainly Tumbleweed) but also recommend it to others I’m quite frequently confronted with a lot of questions on what all those different openSUSE “variants” are and how they are related to one another.

In “the old days” (SuSE Linux 7.1) one could just answer: There is a free version and one you have to pay for (what will entitle you to receive service). But today I can no longer answer those questions.

So I was (and still are) very fond of the idea presented in this post to create a place where all openSUSE variants were briefly explained (and their major pro and cons given).

2 Likes

That would require (at least a couple of) people to maintain such a page. These people would have to follow all the projects in this area and their related projects. On an almost daily basis to keep it accurate. These projects tend to be under heavy development, and the relationships in the diagrams might change ( Aeon not being MicroOS based f.e.). I don’t want to discourage anyone, but keeping such a thing up, running and accurate is only worth the effort if it’s going to be well maintained.