What is the opensuse community view on gaming?

I use opensuse as my main and only distro and am I happy. But I wonder if the fuss around the vulkan api and derived projects will make its way into opensuse leap. I use Opensuse 13.2 mainly for working and playing and some audio editing, and given the gaming panorama, are there any distro specific tweaks or changes coming so Opensuse users can get better performance? even if is something as simple as putting Steam client on the default repos instead of doing one click install (same goes for proprietary nvidia drivers and others).

I’m all for gaming but then again I do it on Windows cause it’s just easier :slight_smile:

Regarding vulkan api I’ve got no idea what you mean. Can you provide some link ?

Regarding nvidia drivers on default repos I guess it’s some sort of license problems. I’m guessing Steam falls into the same licensing problem box but that’s just a wild guess.

Hi
This I would guess: Vulkan - Wikipedia

Will never be in a default repo, just like all the proprietary blobs and patent encumbered stuff, there are a few in the non-oss repo, but that is dwindling…

Don’t know about Vulkan, is that an API that the games have to be designed with, or is it something on the client-side for running games?

For me Minecraft works fine in Linux (so far…). I dual-boot with Windows 10 and openSUSE and find it funny that the Minecraft that works fine in Linux will not run on Windows because the graphics isn’t capable to run something or other.

Meanwhile they have the free Minecraft for Windows 10 (beta) that work, but is the mobile version of the game. So it is not compatible with other PCs or non-mobile servers. That includes the Minecraft server I have running in the basement or when somebody is open to LAN for adhoc world-sharing.

Hmm…

Unfortunately I haven’t gotten World of Tanks working in openSUSE, or War Thunder (via Steam) working in openSUSE yet.

That’s about it for my gaming (currently), outside of KPatience (even though I’m running Gnome). :slight_smile:

I got Diablo 3 and world of Warcraft running under wine with nvidia proprietary drivers. I got an nvidia geforce210 running Wow at 20-30 fps’s, 60 if im indoors. Got steam native and it does run better here on suse with kde than on ubuntu 14.04.3 or kubuntu 14.04.02. But still, wow is an horrible experience compared to windows :expressionless: even with all the tweaks ive made

I use openSUSE with native Steam. The games optimized properly work like charm, for example, Dota2. But that’s been created exactly for Linux, openGL first, but will be ported to Vulkan later, so might experience some further improvement. Other games include EU4, Pillars of Eternity and of course, CS.

EU4? CS? I don’t recognize those games (I’m not a BIG gamer, but I like hearing about different games)

Yeah this are the 2 major problems IMHO :slight_smile: directx and no proper GPU drivers for linux. It would be a shame that Valve created game not run well on steam (talking about Dota2).

Yup. I get 30 fps on world of warcraft and 15-20 if I look to a place with a lot of 3d models (like tree tops, or a forest), even with opengl set instead of direct x 9 with settings on low, but I’ve searched the blizzard forums and they say the opengl mode was discontinued… On windows I get 60-70 fps in good settings.

Dota2 works like a charm, same goes for any valve games. CS GO, Team Fortress, even some other titles already ported to linux work good, but on my gpu, not as good as on windows (at least for a few of them).

Regarding the drivers, a community developer from Ubuntu made a repo so that users could get the latest builds for nvidia proprietary drivers, is there a way opensuse users get the same?

I think there are some repositories for nVidia (among others). In a search I found the Nvidia ones here : Additional package repositories - openSUSE Wiki in addition to other ones.

Yes but still the drivers are not on par with Windows versions in my opinion. This is the same for AMD and especially true for the latest GPUs.

Linux drivers not being on part with Windows drivers may not be such an issue except even in Windows I am scraping the bottom of the barrel in performance!

World of Tanks runs between 10-15fps on my laptop and desktop and on my son’s computer a whopping 20fps! And that is all in Windows! This game, on Linux, gets a little below this performance.

EU4? CS? I don’t recognize those games (I’m not a BIG gamer, but I like hearing about different games)

A grand strategy game developed by Paradox, and still supported for Linux. Some old pictures:

http://images.eurogamer.net/2013/usgamer/Europa-Universalis-IV.jpg

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/u/europauniversalisiv_release_screen_8.jpg

CS, or Counter Strike is a “tactical” (arcade) shooter. Currently all versions work on Linux, the first ones are old enough to easily do 120-160 FPS with the current emulators.

1.6:
http://www.hivegaming.net/images/cs16-screencaps/large/01.jpg

Condition Zero:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/psKE7lJCUd0/maxresdefault.jpg

Source:
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/4/e/a/gfs_57130_2_11.jpg

Global Offensive:
http://www.mmoga.com/images/screenshots/_p/1017132/5500509af2ba2d3c35c921333d8cfcc0_counter-strike-global-offensive-csgo.jpg

These ones produce a worse framerate than on Windows, as they run under an openGL emulator, Source2 games (like Dota2) run natively on Linux, giving framerates much closer to the Windows ones. The difference is marginal. (Although, both EU4 and Dota2 crash if you try to quit, but it never bothered me anyway.)

So what is the final word about this? openGL is also developed by Khronos. It would be good if it would be at least in one of the non-oss repos. I don’t know much about programming, so probably won’t be able to make it happen myself…

Basically Linux is another form of television now - the web & games. Over time, everything devolves.

What GNU/Linux needs is more native support from developers. We need native application development, with low-level direct access to drivers (openGL). And, those drivers need to be well written to access the hardware efficiently (Cough cough, that includes you AMD!).

Between these 3 factors, Linux limps in comparison to proprietary platforms. It’s not necessarily a physical limitation (linux has great potential, as we see with certain games), but a money/market limitation.

Another “issue” is the lack of a single platform to develop for and support.

But, if you look at 10 years back, and if you look at Linux now (especially with Steam), it has been improving a lot.

I’m a gamer at heart, and I’d love to see more support for Linux.

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 11:16:02 +0000, Kry wrote:

> So what is the final word about this? openGL is also developed by
> Khronos. It would be good if it would be at least in one of the non-oss
> repos. I don’t know much about programming, so probably won’t be able to
> make it happen myself…

There isn’t a “final” word, at least not from the community. A
community, by definition, is diverse, and as such, the membership of the
community will have varying opinions.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

I am a gamer and when steam came to linux, I helped beta testing.

Thats why I have the penquin in Teamfortress 2 rotfl!

Vulkan is closed source for now but will be opensource.

I do not understand all the details, but vulkan gives games the possibility to talk to the gpu directly

With nividia drivers ( closed source) you will get the same or slightly better performance on Linux.

This will not be the case if the games are ported badly form windows.

http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

OpenGL versus Direct3D on Windows 7

This experience lead to the question: why does an OpenGL version of our game run faster than Direct3D on Windows 7? It appears that it’s not related to multitasking overhead. We have been doing some fairly close analysis and it comes down to a few additional microseconds overhead per batch in Direct3D which does not affect OpenGL on Windows. Now that we know the hardware is capable of more performance, we will go back and figure out how to mitigate this effect under Direct3D.

With amd youre sadly out of luck. I hope it will change, maybe with vulkan, but benchmark on phoronix show again and again, that the amd linux driver is not very good.
The nvidia driver gives about the same perfomance on Linux and windows.
If you have an amd vid card though the opensource drivers are getting closer and closer to the propertairy drivers.

On Tue, 06 Oct 2015 02:56:04 +0000, Gps2010 wrote:

> With amd youre sadly out of luck. I hope it will change, maybe with
> vulkan, but benchmark on phoronix show again and again, that the amd
> linux driver is not very good.

Depends on the game, in my experience. I’ve run a few with the fglrx64
driver on 13.2, and performance isn’t bad.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C