What group do I need to be in in order for pulseaudio to access sound card?

I have a minimal openSuSE server set up and was wondering what which group I need to be joined to in order for pulseaudio to access the sound card? If I run pulseaudio as root, it can access the sound card just fine.

Thanks in advance!

So, you did not say what desktop that you use. When you want to access your hardware through YaST, you must do so with root authority. You don’t need that authority to make most changes in the KDE personnel Settings setup. To disable PulseAudio, you must do so as root as it affects the entire systems and so basically, if it a user adjustments, you don’t need to be root. If its a system change you are making, you must do so with root authority. Providing more info on exactly what you are changing could be helpful. I also have a script that can be helpful when audio problems exist:

S.T.A.R.T. - SuSE Terminal Audio Reporting Tool - Version 1.11 - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Thanks for your reply, but you seem to have misunderstood my question (or I worded it badly). I’m running a headless server with no GUI or desktop environment and I’m trying to run a network pulseaudio server. What I meant by pulseaudio not being able to access the sound card was that it cannot even detect the sound card when running as a normal user. Therefore, I cannot play sounds through the sound card. If I run pulseaudio as root, everything works fine, but it poses a security risk.

Yes, you are right I don’t understand the problem. In which computer is there no sound? Where does the sound originate and where is it playing. Most computers setup as a server produce no sound at the server. Web applications running on a server may play sound on the guest, but the sound in question has nothing per say to do with the server sound setup. Lets say for argument however you could make yourself a member of root I suppose and see if that helps. And, you must excuse me as its been a long day where I have been online since early morning and I am trying to finish an online course before it is time to go to bed. But alas, more description on the computers running, just what application is running on each could be helpful.

Thank You,

Oh, no problem. I actually found the solution to my problem: I had to add my user to the ‘audio’ group. My setup is where I have a surround sound speaker system connected to my server. Then all my other computers connect to the server using pulseaudio over the network, so I can the same speakers for all of my computers.

And, you should finish your online course first and get some sleep; I was in no hurry :smiley:

Well happy to hear you found the problem. Most often, placing ones self in the audio group does not matter these day, but in your setup it must matter. I also use a optical connection to a receiver for my computer and I understand how that works. It is great for watching movies and the multi-stereo (as it is called in the receiver) is great for listing to audio files.

Thank You,

Hmm, I don’t recall having to add myself to audio group and I rarely have problems with audio. However, it seems my regular user is a member of audio group (and video) so originally it must have been a default setting on installation. I say “originally” because some of my installations (11.3; 11.4 standard and Tumbleweed; and 12.1 standard) were upgrades (zypper dup).

Maybe it has to do with my installation being a minimal install. My user wasn’t even part any group, which I find quite weird (shouldn’t I be in at least the ‘users’ group?)

Ah, a minimal install [for a server setup] could explain it. It probably doesn’t expect to have users or a currently active user, so for sound-card access, it may not be “dynamically giving access to the currently active user”, and the audio group provides a sort of override to that. For a normal desktop setup, it should provide that access dynamically, without users being in the audio group.

BTW, a word to the wise, PulseAudio is designed to be run by ordinary users i.e. running PulseAudio daemon per user. There are security issues running PulseAudio as root or in the “system-wide mode”, so best not to!

You’re probably right. I’ll download the openSuSE live CD to try to figure out how a full install works with pulseaudio.

Totally agree - that was why I was trying find the right group to be in :smiley: