What file sharing service to use ?

OpenSuse 13.2

I just installed a Media center on my network and am about to try and allow it to access the music and videos that are stored on this PC.
The Media center is a Raspberry PI-2 running OSMC.

I am looking at a simple (if it exists) service and some reading led me to NFS.

Is that what you would recommend keeping in mind that I am not so skilled in Linux, though I do know the concepts from a long career writing code in a variety of languages.
Networking is mostly a mystery to me.

thanks

NFS is the “file sharing” implementation on Unix/Linux. Thus when server and clients are all Unix/Linux type, that is the native way to go. And on those systems that run openSUSE YaST has modules to manage NFS server and client.

Yes, that’s what I use. I also use Samba to make the shared files available to Windows boxes on the home network.

I installed “nfs-kernel-server”, and “yast2-nfs-server”. Then I used Yast to configure NFS (and to configure Samba).

On the opensuse clients, I configured “autofs” to mount the shared file systems only when needed.

On my main system, I have a directory “/shared” which is what I share. On the client systems, that is mounted as “/nfsmounts/shared” when needed. Also, on the client systems, “/shared” is a symbolic link to “/nfsmounts/shared”, so that I can access the files under “/shared” on either client or server. Obviously, you do not have to use the same names as I used.

On 2015-06-11 15:26, hextejas wrote:

> Is that what you would recommend

It depends on what that media center supports.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” (Minas Tirith))

:slight_smile:
“File Sharing” has its own definition which in the view of the MPAA and RIAA is Public Enemy Number 1.

You’re asking about “Network Sharing” which implies clear “server” and “client” identities for each machine.
Your Media Center might support numerous ways to serve files to your clients including

• NFS (primarily UNIX/Linux both machines only)
  • CIFS/SAMBA/Windows (common when Windows machines are involved) popular because they also integrate natively with LAN security
  • HTTP/FTP whenever machines support Internet protocols, but network security may have to be designed

The above are examples of creating network shares using networking technology.

TSU

On 2015-06-12 19:26, tsu2 wrote:
>
> :slight_smile:
> “File Sharing” has its own definition which in the view of the MPAA and
> RIAA is Public Enemy Number 1.

:slight_smile:

> The above are examples of creating network shares using networking
> technology.

Then there are other techniques to serve multimedia content. I have not
managed find out much, but there are somethings in packman.

mtp? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)