What does alp mean to me?

Becoming blind, it’s been awhile since I even have been able to adapt to communicate and develop, and that has taken a lot of adaption. Strangely, I see ALP in inverse terms, though.

It may seem strange, given that I love what was familiar, but if I understand it correctly, it could make my life simpler. I could adapt a top level dev system running tumbleweed to produce packages like before, and, I gather, there will be ways to consolidate groups of such packages into containers which can then be deployed on ALP/microos servers, while the base os install becomes immutable.

From the desktop perspective I gathered I should be able to install an immutable image to my laptop, and application “containers” (flatpak or otherwise) on top of that, too. I could bring code with on those laptops, and work on it like before, package it, up perhaps for tumbleweed, or perhaps for flatpak hub, and have that made available to end users.

If my understanding is correct, I am not at all horrified by this. It should be easy to embrace and easier to deliver updated things without having to build and verify assembled products on older suse/leap instances.

Actually this would feel closer to the BSD model, where the base os is a single install instance, and often updated in place together, while packages (from ports) are installed in /usr/local (or per NetBSD, /usr/pkg) separate from the core os.