What Dependenicies Do I Need To Compile Source?

Hello,

What dependencies do I need to compile source? I think I would like to compile c, c++ and python. If there are any other languages you recommend, please let me know.

For many languages you need gcc compiler + an add on for a particular language package you can get most of what you may need for generic compiling from the development pattern. Yast software-management under pattern tab

But there are many languages best to pick one and learn it well the next is generally easier

It obviously depends on source. Hello user program does not need anything beyond compiler.

Whiile c and c++ are compiler languages (that need to be compiled, etc. to be able to be run), Pytthon is an interpreted language, there is thus no compiler for it.

That had been true for many, many years.
Now today, you might use Python to code managed code like Java or CLR (dotNET) which require compilation.

Also, following in the footsteps of Javascript(Primarily Google V8), there are now engines that compile script code to improve performance. In this case, you still typically distribute raw script code instead of pre-compiling the code before distribution… The only diff is what happens on the target machine running the code.

TSU

On Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:06:01 +0000, hcvv wrote:

> Whiile c and c++ are compiler languages (that need to be compiled, etc.
> to be able to be run), Pytthon is an interpreted language, there is thus
> no compiler for it.

Well, yes and no - python does generate some intermediate bytecode (.pyc
files), so there is a form of compilation that takes place, but not in
the strictest sense of compiling like you would with C or C++.

But to the OP - your question is kind of what is “boiling the ocean” -
it’s an extremely broad question that depends on a lot of factors:
Language used, libraries, used, dependencies for those libraries, and so
on.

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

@Grace123,

The big question is likely whether you intend to learn how to code or if you’re presented source from some project and need to compile it yourself to run.

If you’re learning to code, the language you’re learning will generally have its own development requirements. You might decide to use a standalone compiler or develop code in an IDE which today often either includes a compiler or will recommend one.

If you need to compile source from a project, then that project should include a file (often called INSTALL) or other documentation that describes dependencies and tools you need. This isn’t always the case, in those instances you may need to ask for help if you’re very new to doing this, and in this case then post detailed information like a link to the download or project, what you may have tried to do and results.

TSU