What are the default opensuse 13.1 user groups?

I just installed opensuse 13.1, and I can’t even start X on boot. I have to switch to another tty and type startx (after I set suid for xorg). On top of this, I can barely do anything without root privileges (like shutdown from the GUI)
I believe it is because my user is only a memeber of the “users” group, and I know the default is more groups.
What are the default groups so I can add my user to them?

No. The default on 13.1 is to be only part of the group “users”.
And nothing more is needed.
All the other necessary privileges are granted to the user by logind and polkit.
But your user’s session has to be registered with logind and this is not done when you run X with “startx”.

So you should get your login manager to work.

Does it work if you start in Recovery mode? (“Advanced Options” in the boot menu)

What is the default system target?

systemctl get-default

Could you maybe post /var/log/Xorg.0.log after a failed X start?
You may start X manually to be able to post it, but then /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old would be needed.

Which login manager are you actually using?
kdm, gdm, lightdm, …?
You might have a look in its log files as well, but I cannot tell you where it is as long as I don’t know which one you use.

PS: The suid bit on Xorg may get removed anytime again by the system. (whenever something calls “chkstat”)

The default runlevel is 5.

No starting in “recovery mode” does not help.

I’m using lightdm with xfce.

Whenever I boot, it just hangs after all the services start, and I have to hit CRT + ALT + F5 to login from the console.

Everything worked after the first install, then I updated and rebooted and had these issues.

I don’t know if it is because I logged in from another tty, but there is an Xorg.1.log file, which may mean the display is being sent somewhere else, like over the network?

hold on i’ll post my Xorg.0.log.old file

Nevermind the forum won’t let me, it’s too large.

There’s a known problem that lightdm sometimes/often fails to start. The reason for this has not been found yet.
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=846832

Try to use a different display manager. Edit /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and set DISPLAYMANAGER=“xdm” as a test. (xdm should be installed by default)
Does X start then?

Yes it did work, thank you.

On 2014-01-27 18:56, wolfi323 wrote:
>
> steve51516;2619790 Wrote:
>> I’m using lightdm with xfce.
>>
> There’s a known problem that lightdm sometimes/often fails to start. The
> reason for this has not been found yet.
> https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=846832
>
> Try to use a different display manager. Edit

Or simply try to restart it. Open a terminal, “init 3”, “init 5”.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.3 x86_64 “Dartmouth” at Telcontar)