whacky mouse, HP2740p Elitebook. Issue across several distributions

Using model HP2740p, touching the scratchpad or scratchpad buttons will cause loss of mouse focus. With some windows a touch of the escape button will recover from problem. Right scratchpad button doesn’t seem to work at all except sometimes in kick-panel.

Touchstick and buttons seem to work until scratchpad is used. A remote usb mouse works until scratchpad is touched.

Stylus sort of works and finger works, just difficult to select things so I don’t use those methods much. Screen does not rotate when laptop is tilted. I suspect this is due to software install seems to select the accelerometer as an output device for the Joystick. You can observe this in “Input Devices” as js0.

This problem first observed after an update around 7 months ago with Kubuntu 14.04. I’ve tried 6 different distributions 32-bit,64-bit, including 16.04 Kub, Mint, PCLOS, OpenSuse 13.2 and now Leap. All exhibit same issue.

Input Devices— Touchstick (middle of keyboard) thinks it’s a mouse, scratchpad thinks it’s a mouse, Stylus doesn’t show up but seems to work, Joystick thinks it’s an accelerometer and doesn’t work (don’t have one)

The psychotic mouse guy describes similar sounding problems. Perhaps this issue covers many brands and models? Like those with both a touchstick and a scratchpad?

Look I really like the scratchpad, I can get the mouse across the screen really quick, yet I can roll my finger and select a precise spot quickly and easily and most importantly, intuitively! I prefer the scratchpad to the stick. If I have to give one up, help me make it the stick!

A quick search of existing bug reports revealed the following

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/onboard/+bug/1456452

It may be that you will need to submit a bug report for some of these issues that you’ve described.

For reference, which Xorg drivers are currently in use for these input devices? This should list them

grep "input driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

The new Xorg libinput (xf86-input-libinput](https://software.opensuse.org/package/xf86-input-libinput)) driver framework might be helpful with correcting some of these behaviours too, but only with proper underlying kernel support. It’s supposed to offer better support for multiple input devices, and especially new generation multi-touch devices. However, some of the end-user experiences rely on desktop environment support as well, so it’s all work in progress.

FWIW, some good references

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Libinput
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/libinput/

X.Org libinput driver

The X.Org libinput driver is a thin wrapper around libinput and allows for libinput to be used for input devices in X.
This driver can be used as as drop-in replacement for evdev and synaptics. Simply build and install in your $PREFIX, then
install the config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. Restart X and the libinput driver will take over your devices.

If I have to give one up, help me make it the stick!

That should be possible to do using xinput.

xinput list

Referring to the device of interest (), check the device properties with

xinput list-props '<device-name>'

BTW, the numeric name and properties can be used too. Assuming the device can be disabled, it should be possible to issue something like

xinput set-prop '<device-name>  'Device' Enabled' 0

To make it stick, create a startup file and add the command there so that it executes when you log in.

grep “input driver” /var/log/Xorg.0.log

35.670] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Power Button'
35.703] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Video Bus'
35.704] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
35.704] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Sleep Button'
35.705] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'HP Webcam [2 MP Macro]'
35.705] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
35.706] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
35.706] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
35.707] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'PS/2 Generic Mouse'
35.708] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
35.715] (II) Using input driver 'synaptics' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
35.805] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
35.806] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
35.806] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
35.830] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Serial Wacom Tablet WACf00e'
35.831] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen'
35.845] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
35.845] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'HP WMI hotkeys'
35.852] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen eraser'
35.880] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen touch'

In order to get this laptop useable I’ve employed xinput and turned off the builtin joystic. The touchpad I had to dig into the Input Devices screen and make it so 2 fingers do right button as button doesn’t function, and made it 2 fingers do horizontal scroll.

After looking at what grep found, perhaps you could advise further?

After installing xf86-input…
I have new issues, maybe livable as is. Both touchstick and touchpad are working. The touchpad seems to have a few limitations that are new. Can’t do horizontol scrolling and 2 finger tap. It’s buttons don’t do obvious clicking, but… the left button can capture stuff from windows below present window and drag content into present window. Just have to learn not to use that button. I’d call this better, an improvement. Scrolling with finger on screen seems to work better too.

Here’s another look at what grep found, I don’t spot any changes

38.330] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
38.368] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
38.400] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
38.401] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Sleep Button'
38.425] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HP Webcam [2 MP Macro]'
38.460] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
38.461] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
38.462] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
38.496] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'PS/2 Generic Mouse'
38.524] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
38.525] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
38.545] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
38.568] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Serial Wacom Tablet WACf00e'
38.569] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen'
38.596] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
38.597] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HP WMI hotkeys'
38.623] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen eraser'
38.640] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen touch'

When you say you don’t spot any obvious changes, I’m a little surprised. Can you not see that the touchpad is now using libinput, whereas previously it was configured to use the ‘synaptics’ driver. From what I understand, libinput will be the way forward as the other input drivers are phased out.

BTW, if you have any issues with libinput that you believe are regressions/bugs then I would encourage you to submit a bug report. I know some of the wrinkles are still being ironed out.

OOPs! Didn’t see that. That’s past history now. Got a new worse problem.

I was checking out some of the other stuff you listed and thought I read to get rid of the /etc/x11/so-synaptic…conf as it would be old and needed to be overwritten by libinput.

I renamed it instead and then rebooted. After reboot, it was the same old problem again with a new twist no right button for touchstick or touchpad. Plus the touchscreen couldn’t select things either.

Then I renamed the old file back to what it was and rebooted. Then things were closer to what they were originally, where touching the touchpad inhibited the mouse from interacting with the kickpanel including touchscreen.

Then I re-installed xf86-input-libinput and got a few better things working but still if I touch the pad, I lose what I had. So, I’m about where I was a few hours ago before installing xf86… the first time. Here’s what grep has to say now: oh ****, I must have touched the pad again.

37.456] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Power Button'
37.499] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
37.517] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
37.517] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Sleep Button'
37.541] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HP Webcam [2 MP Macro]'
37.585] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
37.585] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
37.586] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
37.587] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'AT Translated Set 2 keyboard'
37.617] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'PS/2 Generic Mouse'
37.645] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
37.645] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad'
37.685] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
37.685] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
37.686] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
37.718] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Serial Wacom Tablet WACf00e'
37.719] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen'
37.741] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
37.741] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'HP WMI hotkeys'
37.771] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen eraser'
37.796] (II) Using input driver 'wacom' for 'Wacom Serial Penabled 2FG Touchscreen touch'

Well, rather than simply removing Xorg config files (for supporting Xorg input drivers), you’re probably better off removing the unwanted xf86-input-* packages. This will show what you have installed currently

# rpm -qa|grep xf86-input

xf86-input-synaptics and xf86-input-evdev are not needed if using libinput, but from what I can see you are using the ‘wacom’ tablet/touchscreen driver (provided by xf86-input-wacom). I’m at the limits of my knowledge with this, so if you don’t get the answers you’re looking for here, consider submitting a bug report, or taking the discussion upstream

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/libinput/

Then I re-installed xf86-input-libinput and got a few better things working but still if I touch the pad, I lose what I had. So, I’m about where I was a few hours ago before installing xf86… the first time. Here’s what grep has to say now: oh ****, I must have touched the pad again.

I’m a bit unclear about what you’re wanting to happen here. Are you wanting the touchpad to be disabled while typing? Anything else?

it’s a storyline, one event follows the previous. In that case, the last event wasn’t able to finish cause the pad got touched and sent the mouse buttons(all) into whackyland where I can’t right-click and paste what grep found and I wasn’t about to re-type it all and I can’t click on the menu-buttons either.

rpm -qa|grep xf86-input

xf86-input-wacom-0.30.0-4.2.x86_64
xf86-input-keyboard-1.8.1-6.2.x86_64
xf86-input-libinput-0.14.0-2.1.x86_64
xf86-input-mouse-1.9.1-6.2.x86_64
xf86-input-evdev-2.9.2-5.2.x86_64
xf86-input-joystick-1.6.2-12.2.x86_64
xf86-input-synaptics-1.8.2-5.2.x86_64
xf86-input-vmmouse-13.1.0-6.1.x86_64
xf86-input-void-1.4.1-5.2.x86_64

I haven’t figured out how to uninstall stuff yet, so far all the yast does is re-install stuff for me. Think I’ll give it a whirl with removing the Joystick, synaptics,evdev, wacom too. I break it, well there’s the usb installer

It should be possible to have the touchpad disabled while a mouse is present if that helps.

Well, since you’re using libinput, having the synaptics and evdev packages present or removing them should make no difference whatsoever. The following should be sufficient to remove them eg

zypper rm xf86-input-synaptics xf86-input-evdev

I removed them and some of the others too. Everything seemed to be working better until I tried rebooting, then it became the same old repeat story, but since I also removed the wacom I now have no touch screen. The yast complained about breaking xf86 blah blah for everyone of the items deleted, so apparently even though wayland supercedes them, they’re still wanted. The touchstick works, go figure?

Well, the wacom driver is required for your touchscreen (as confirmed previously with input drivers from Xorg.0.log) so I wouldn’t have removed that particular package. I assume the touchstick is handled by the libinput driver. I’ve just switched to using libinput, and removed xf-86-input evdev and xf86-input-synaptics from my Leap install without issue, so I’m not sure why it’s not the same for your system.

sort of back to where I was much earlier. I didn’t reinstall the joystick one as I’m pretty sure the device used has nothing to do with a joystick, and I’m using xinput to turn off the synaptics. the screen works to touch, xournal is going to take some learning (reminds me of a notebook called GO I used back in the 80’s). screen still doesn’t rotate. Touchstick works, left and right buttons work.

Sounds like progress. I don’t own an Elitebook, so can’t really comment about screen rotation, but FWIW I did find this blog concerning screen rotation

http://www.davidfong.info/suse_notes/node304.html

For those interested in the input consolidation that libinput provides, this blog makes interesting reading
http://who-t.blogspot.co.nz/
In particular
http://who-t.blogspot.co.nz/2016/04/why-libinput-doesnt-have-lot-of-config.html

Trying to figure out a means of disabling the TouchPad before, during or after startup, no joy. Unable to derive a device name out of xinput list, and id# changes with what may be plugged in at boot time:

xinput list-props SynPS/2-Synaptics-TouchPad

unable to find device SynPS/2-Synaptics-TouchPad
linux-6570:~ # xinput list-props SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
unable to find device SynPS/2
unable to find device Synaptics
unable to find device TouchPad
linux-6570:~ #

xinput list

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v2.0 id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ Microsoft Microsoft® Nano Transceiver v2.0 id=12 [slave pointer (2)]