Wesnoth choppy scrolling

I have decided to try and play one of my favourite games on openSUSE and that is Battle for Wesnoth.

Everything works except its slow! Scrolling is terribly choppy and the frame buffer struggles to redraw smoothly as I expect it.

I am running on intel integrated graphics on an i3 arrandale processor and as far as I know from reading the graphics threads and looking at my xorg log files the device is recognized and the intel driver is loaded and running.

I have previously ran windows and ubuntu (10.04) OSes on this same laptop and the game performed much better, so its not crappy hardware at fault.

What gives?

What part of the system should I check for faults?

Hello Acol,

There’s some information missing in your post.
So could you tell us which version of openSUSE you have?
If you use KDE or GNOME?

Not sure what the problem is.
I recommend you try to disable desktop effects if enabled.

And could you post the output of this command:

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

Best of luck!:wink:

Hi, Edward_iii

Thanks for the response.

I am using the GNOME desktop and 11.3

Direct rendering is turned on according to the the glxinfo, specifically

direct rendering: Yes

Is there anything else in the glxinfo to look out for?

Disabling compiz effects unfortunately does not yield any performance improvements :frowning:

I have now also taken the extra step of compiling westnoth from source mysself but alas this too has had no positive effect.

Hello Acol,

I’m afraid I don’t know what it could be.
Could you post your xorg.conf file?

My best bet is that the driver isn’t working or outdated?
Do you still have another os installed?
If so you can compare the xorg.conf/driver version.

Best of luck!:wink:

Hi,

I just reinstalled all of 11.3 and then updated it and installed Wesnoth. My previous installation had some tinkering which I wanted to quickly reverse.

Unfortunately, The problem with wesnoth did not go away. It is very odd. But at least it means that its not me that screwed something up but rather it wouldn’t have worked on openSUSE defaults in the first place.

the xorg-x11-driver-video is 7.5-15.2 from the openSUSE package repository.

On my desktop ubuntu (the same I was previously running on this laptop) it is 2:2.12.0-1ubuntu5

I don’t know how to tell what actual version of the intel driver is used in these packages, but I assume that’s what I need for a common point of reference.

Also I cannot post my xorg.conf because 11.3 seems to use an xorg.d directory structure. Which files from xorg.d give interesting information for this problem? I will gladly post those

Everything works except its slow! Scrolling is terribly choppy and the frame buffer struggles to redraw smoothly as I expect it.

I am running on intel integrated graphics on an i3 arrandale processor and as far as I know from reading the graphics threads and looking at my xorg log files the device is recognized and the intel driver is loaded and running.

I have previously ran windows and ubuntu (10.04) OSes on this same laptop and the game performed much better, so its not crappy hardware at fault.

Sadly, this may be due to some regression with the intel drivers used with the Xorg version for openSUSE 11.3. If you search for other threads onthis site, you’ll find similar accounts of poor performance in comparison to 11.2 for example.

That is rather unfortunate but I guess thats the way things must go for software to develop.

Would adding an 11.2 repository and downloading an older version of the xorg video driver be a safe option?

Is there perhaps a better way to downgrade to a better performing version? You mention that other people had similar problems, did they manage to come up with a work around or hack?

Also has the problem been reported officially to a bug tracker and if not how would I do this.

Lots of questions, I know :wink:

deano ferrari adjusted his/her AFDB on Wed 13 October 2010 05:06 to write:

>
>> Everything works except its slow! Scrolling is terribly choppy and the
>> frame buffer struggles to redraw smoothly as I expect it.
>>
>> I am running on intel integrated graphics on an i3 arrandale processor
>> and as far as I know from reading the graphics threads and looking at my
>> xorg log files the device is recognized and the intel driver is loaded
>> and running.
>>
>> I have previously ran windows and ubuntu (10.04) OSes on this same
>> laptop and the game performed much better, so its not crappy hardware at
>> fault.
>
> Sadly, this may be due to some regression with the intel drivers used
> with the Xorg version for openSUSE 11.3. If you search for other threads
> onthis site, you’ll find similar accounts of poor performance in
> comparison to 11.2 for example.
>
>

I will second that, my intel based graphics laptop performs terrible
compared to 11.2 and I have tried all the latest stuff for the xorg and no
great improvement.

There does seem to be some movement around on improving the drivers but
whether we will see anything with 11.3 is a different matter.

It is not just SuSE though it is the same all the distros.

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus in verba
Nil illegitimi carborundum

There does seem to be some movement around on improving the drivers but
whether we will see anything with 11.3 is a different matter.

It is not just SuSE though it is the same all the distros

In my experience Ubuntu does NOT seem to have any problems playing games like Wesnoth with intel drivers and the Arrendale integrated graphics. I have not tried more demanding games.

This isn’t to say Ubuntu is better or worse overall or anything, its just saying that in this particular field it seems that openSUSE does not perform as well. So it is, however, a distro problem and not a linux problem.

I’ve tried Debian and Fedora too but did not do any gaming tests with them so I cannot say how they perform.

So it is, however, a distro problem and not a linux problem.

I’ve tried Debian and Fedora too but did not do any gaming tests with them so I cannot say how they perform.

Yes, I think its just a versioning thing (so potentially affects any distros using that version). You’ll probably find openSUSE 11.4 is ok.

Hi everyone.

I was experimenting a bit with XOrg versions. I downloaded the latest repos of X11-server and X11-video and so on from the factory, and then the ones from 11.2.

The ones from 11.2 perform almost flawlessly, scrolling in wesnoth is nice and smooth and the game is much more of a pleasure to play on my hardware.

On the other hand the ones from the factory are not so great. Scrolling is still choppy, slow and generally not so great. It does, however get rid of tile artefacts present in the 11.3 drivers and is slightly faster than them.

So hopefully by 11.4 it will be as fast or slightly faster than 11.2 :D, still a long way to go though.

btw I would recommend to anyone wanting to play this game on intel integrated graphics to go back to the 11.2 X11 software unless like me they have a multitouch clickpad cause the 11.2 input drivers are not so great (right click won’t work)

Thanks for the update…