Weird behaviour after tv-out has been in use

Greetings.

All begins already when the tv-out of my Nvidia-card is in use.
That everything I talk about in here has to do with the tv-out is obvious to me, since I’m experiencing this the second time in a row under just the same circumstances.

When the tv-out is active, I cannot open either gnome-terminal nor gnome-appearance-properties.
Trying to start either of these through i.e. xterm gives me error messages about insufficient resources. I can’t paste the exact error messages in here, because the tv-out is now off again and the full set of anomalies has hit me for the second time:

• The Gnome terminal doesn’t function. It uses a reeeealy tiny font now, so tiny that it isn’t a font anymore at all and it can’t be changed. Sometimes the terminal window even appears stretched into infinity with a broken title bar.
  • The appearance properties app. can’t be started.
The program 'gnome-appearance-properties' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 485 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
  • All kde/qt-programs (yast2 (the gtk-version is useless), celestia etc.) have a font with a 1-pixel-height, of which I just don’t know how to change it; I don’t know anything about kde, because I’ve always hated it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Reverting to the last working xorg.conf that was active before having switched on the tv-out via nvidia-settings doesn’t help, it changes nothing about that weird behaviour.

It would already help to know, what else besides xorg.conf is changed when using nvidia-settings. There must be something, as I said, using the last flawlessly working xorg.conf again doesn’t help at all. Creating a new one via sax2 doesn’t help either.

Last time I experienced this was under openSuSE 10.3-64, it made me reinstall the whole thing using 11.0-64, however, now I am in just the same situation and absolutely clueless as to the cause of all this weirdness.

My machine:
Athlon X²-4950, 4GB RAM, 700GB Seagate S-ATA2, Asus EN9600GT.

Thanks for any insight given, I would really like to avoid having to reinstall the whole os once again,
-Some strange fellow.

No ideas, anyone?

Oh, and I meant an Athlon X² 4850, but I don’t think that’s relevant anyway.

What happens when the tv-out of an Nvidia-card is activated? What else besides the xorg.conf being changed?

What config. files can make kde/qt-program’s fonts unreadable?
What could make the one or the other small Gnome program malfunction?

Regards,
-Some strange fellow.