Wednesday the internet gets dark in the US

Well, for everyone who lives in the US, Wednesday will be dark due a
chosen blackout from some major sites like reddit, Wikipedia, Mozilla
and perhaps Google (?).
So do your research today, because Wednesday there is no search. Or
maybe limited (well there is still Europe).
http://blog.reddit.com/2012/01/stopped-they-must-be-on-this-all.html
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/wikipedia-to-join-reddit-in-sopa-blackout-wednesday.ars
https://plus.google.com/101334522477708381797/posts


Windows, supports nearly all software, hardware, and viruses.

Rejoice they sing - They worship their own space - In a moment of love,
they will die for their grace - Don’t kill the whale

Not as “dark” as speculated. Google is in “Passive aggressive” mode, and a surprising number of people are accessing various sites to “rubberneck” (see what is all the fuss!) . Bing.com, Microsoft’s “wannabe” is surprisingly unchanged, a strange behavior from a site that should be in the forefront.

I hope that this “dark web” day is not another exercise in apathy assessment. A more effective action might be to actually cripple any and all content and links that might be subject to SOPA/PIPA. Such an action would raise a more significant and effective protest.

On 1/18/2012 8:36 AM, SeanMc98 wrote:
>
> joergjaeger;2431054 Wrote:
>> Well, for everyone who lives in the US, Wednesday will be dark due a
>> chosen blackout from some major sites like reddit, Wikipedia, Mozilla
>> and perhaps Google (?).
>>
>
> Not as “dark” as speculated. Google is in “Passive aggressive” mode,
> and a surprising number of people are accessing various sites to
> “rubberneck” (see what is all the fuss!) . Bing.com, Microsoft’s
> “wannabe” is surprisingly unchanged, a strange behavior from a site that
> should be in the forefront.
>
> I hope that this “dark web” day is not another exercise in apathy
> assessment. A more effective action might be to actually cripple any
> and all content and links that might be subject to SOPA/PIPA. Such
> an action would raise a more significant and effective protest.
>
>

I think it is perhaps more symbolic in nature. But important nonetheless.
Wiki has perhaps the most impact. A lot of people use that site every
day, but you still can use other countries i believe.

But i +1 your idea. That would be really a wake up call. Most people
don’t realize whats going on. In the news it is rarely mentioned which
is sad, considering its impact.


Windows, supports nearly all software, hardware, and viruses.

Rejoice they sing - They worship their own space - In a moment of love,
they will die for their grace - Don’t kill the whale

actually i have seen that openSUSE is on strike too. :slight_smile:

http://sopastrike.com/

On 01/18/2012 05:36 PM, SeanMc98 wrote:
> Bing.com, Microsoft’s
> “wannabe” is surprisingly unchanged, a strange behavior from a site that
> should be in the forefront.

no, they are full speed ahead to make sure every barefoot, undereducated
and hungry child in the world can only access the internet via a genuine
Internet Explorer, no matter the cost (which you can be certain will go
UP as soon as every possible way to use anything else has been buried.)


DD

It appears that the internet “dark” day has had some effect. On the evening of the blackout, a number of U.S. Senators (–> PIPA) and U.S. Representatives (–> SOPA) are changing support and dropping co-sponsorships. I, personally, am both pleased and surprised. Pleased that some positive effect actually occurred, and surprised that even some of the strongest proponents of these legislative efforts have actually listened to the people.

This is the Soapbox, and I do wonder whether a somewhat more assertive approach might have had dilfferent results. Of course, this is a major election year, a bi-annual event that seems to remarkably improve the auditory processes in Washington, D.C.

I got to say that i think Wikipedia had its lowest outcome in numbers.
From 162 million hits only 8 million signed or called. Google on the
other hand had a better outcome where 13 million hits equaled 7 million
calls or signage’s.
I do still worry that it may get passed.

Sadly, most people are still not aware of it at all. And not to forget
the phrases that are being used to sweetcake the bill as ‘securing
jobs’, ‘securing technology overseas’ etc.


Windows, supports nearly all software, hardware, and viruses.

Rejoice they sing - They worship their own space - In a moment of love,
they will die for their grace - Don’t kill the whale

On 2012-01-20 01:00, joergjaeger wrote:

> I do still worry that it may get passed.

I heard in passing that the FBI closed a big download site today. Precisely
today.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:00:32 +0000, joergjaeger wrote:

> I got to say that i think Wikipedia had its lowest outcome in numbers.
> From 162 million hits only 8 million signed or called. Google on the
> other hand had a better outcome where 13 million hits equaled 7 million
> calls or signage’s.

That’s pretty significant IMHO.

> I do still worry that it may get passed.

As the sponsors have decided not to pursue it, it seems both bills are in
fact dead at this moment.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 1/19/2012 4:29 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 00:00:32 +0000, joergjaeger wrote:
>
>> I got to say that i think Wikipedia had its lowest outcome in numbers.
>> From 162 million hits only 8 million signed or called. Google on the
>> other hand had a better outcome where 13 million hits equaled 7 million
>> calls or signage’s.
>
> That’s pretty significant IMHO.
>
>> I do still worry that it may get passed.
>
> As the sponsors have decided not to pursue it, it seems both bills are in
> fact dead at this moment.
>
> Jim
>
>
>

Well i thought that 8 million out of 162 is somewhat low compared to 7
million out of 13.
But still it was a lot, so no mistake there.
Haven’t check craigslist but wired was cool in that everything was
black, but of course you could still read it if you hoovered over with
the mouse.


Windows, supports nearly all software, hardware, and viruses.

Rejoice they sing - They worship their own space - In a moment of love,
they will die for their grace - Don’t kill the whale

I am surprised I have seen no chatter on here related to the JSTOR case against the now late Swartz.