webcam & microphone command line fun ....

Is the webcam on your Dell Studio 15" working on Linux without problems?
I’ve got Studio and am planning to install openSuSe11…

You probably start a new thread for Dell Studio 15 questions. I was hoping we could keep this thread focussed on “webcam and command line fun” and not “does x webcam work with linux”. But reference your questions, the webcam on my Dell Studio 15 was working, but the last kernel update to 2.6.27.25 broke the webcam drivers (kernel module) functionality. I have not tried recently to get it working.

Maybe looking into restoring the webcams functionality (with this recent kernel update) is a project for me for this weekend (or next).

Correction to that. The webcam on my Dell Studio 15 works great! I just tested it a few minutes ago.

I installed some updates since the last kernel update. I probably need to do a list of what I installed, to see what fixed the breakage.

So to answer your question, yes the web cam on the Dell Studio 1537 does work … It is a 05ca:18a1 Ricoh Co. Ltd webcam.

I do not use cheese and I can not help you with cheese.

cheese is not a command line program. This thread is about webcam and microphone command line fun. Its not about running cheese.

Did you try any of the commands proposed in this thread?

If not, you are on the wrong thread. You would be better served to start your own thread with the proper title - that way you will get the attention you deserve.

I dont need exectly cheese
for me important is that webcam must can work with messengers
but when I test cam with skype it shows exectly this picture what shows cheese

sorry for my english

and thnks for help

You already have a thread going. There is no need to post here.

Simply put the information you put here in that thread.

Please, did you try the commands (ffmpeg ? mencoder ? ) in this thread?

I asked that question here:

I also asked the same question in the other thread you referenced: howto web cam? Logitech - openSUSE Forums

You need to answer those questions.

Also advise what driver you are using? uvc? gspca ? Do NOT install both !! Only install the one that is supported. If your webcam is a 046d:08af Logitech QuickCam Cool then I see it listed here: GSPCA V4L2 - Webcams which is the list for the gspca v4l2 webcam and you should use a driver for that.

Please do NOT answer here.

Please answer in your previous thread: howto web cam? Logitech - openSUSE Forums

Please do not post in this webcam & microphone command line fun thread. This is the WRONG thread for giving the skype support you want. There is no skype information in this thread.

OK, I moved your earlier post. This was the wrong thread for that post.

Your previous post is now here:
howto web cam? Logitech - openSUSE Forums

I’m still playing with my webcam, this time under openSUSE-11.2. I’m scratching my head over some “cheese” particularities, but not so much as to ignore the command line. Here is another one that is useful, as a “mirror”. I need to put this one on our family laptop.

mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:width=640:height=480:noaudio -fps 15 -x 800 -y 600 -vf-add pp=hb:a/vb:a,hqdn3d,mirror

Damm, oldcpu, now I want to but a webcam to play with. I’ll have to tell my wife it’s all your fault :smiley:

Malcolmlewis rebuilt xwinwrap for openSUSE-11.2 and this works well with the rebuilt rpm.

Though I think it would drive me crazy - the cam is in the lid of my laptop, facing me- , I’ll try this evening. A friend just had a little daughter, he’s watching her all the time through a webcam (his first born…). He said he wanted exactly this, the webcam stream as a desktop background, now I can make him switch to linux for this.

Thanks a very very lot.

Anyone else with some neat webcam command lines ?

To adjust camera settings:

guvcview -d /dev/video0 -w 0 -f yuyv -s 320x240 2>/dev/null

To catch a single picture:

fswebcam -q --log syslog -F 3 -S 2 --font luxisr:16 -d V4L2:/dev/video0 -r 960x720 -p YUYV webimage.jpg 2>&1 >/dev/null

where not all cameras support this resolution; pick your own and detect what is possible:

fswebcam -d V4L2:/dev/video0 --list-framesizes

Oldcpu – I could not resist your inspiration. So I walked two blocks through the snow, bought one of those brand new Logitech QuickCam Pro for Notebooks with a 2-megapixel autofocus webcam, set it up on the included desktop stand, compiled the latest stable guvcview-src-1.2.2 (on 11.1, requires ffmpeg-devel) and hoped for “first light”. Surprise: it workes out of the box!!!

Here is the view from my window:

http://www.lawbiz.ch/pastebin/roomwithaview.jpg

It takes up to 8 megapixel photos and shows videos at a resolution of 960x720 (15fps). Amazing what these tiny devices are capable to do.

Wow !! Very nice.

… err … but … ahhh … what is all that white stuff in the pix ?? :open_mouth:

… err … but … ahhh … what is all that white stuff in the pix ??

It’s Styrofoam. This is the backyards of Paramount Studios rotfl!

Hi
I’ve built another application (11.2 and Factory) called grabby which
can add effects etc with your webcam, it can even user ftp to upload
images to a remote site.

http://www.vanheusden.com/grabby/examples/

Use the command line --help to see all the options.

http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=ALL&p=1&q=grabby

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
up 2 days 13:22, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.09, 0.14
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.53

Interesting. Something like 4 or 5 years ago, I setup a web cam app under Linux (with an Apache server ?? ) such that it would take videos of any movement in view of the webcam in our apartment. I would turn the webcam just before leaving, when no one was planned to be at home. We have no pets that could setup the webcam by mistake.

And with a browser, from the office, I could check the web cam. Plus once back at home, I could check a directory on my PC and see many videos recorded by the webcam during the day.

The main intention was to keep an eye on a new maid, who would often clean our apartment when no one was home. I maintained this for a few months, and then stopped after our maid gained our trust. I was also worried about the security of the apachne server as I knew nothing about this, and got it running more by following someone’s simplified but still detailed instructions than actually knowing what I was doing. I could not possibly now reproduce what I did then.

Grabby has me curious, and maybe with “grabby” I may look at this again.

Hi
Well user vodoo tweaked my interest in these type of applications as I
was helping on the build service forum with the mjpg-streamer
application (search for that on OBS :wink: ). So a bit of googling came
across this, I did have to build libftp as it required the headers, but
all the rest to build is from the oss repo which is always my main goal.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.45-0.1-default
up 2 days 14:33, 3 users, load average: 0.25, 1.10, 1.32
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.53

Well user vodoo tweaked my interest in these type of applications as I was helping on the build service forum with the mjpg-streamer application (search for that on OBS).

Malcolm has helped a lot and he deserves a beer or two. I, on my part, learned a lot and become slowly able to package an application as long as it’s not too complicated.

Anyway, mjpg-streamer is great fun. The package is tested to work for me on 11.1 and ready to be released for others to have fun.

openSUSE 11.2:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/vodoo/openSUSE_11.2/i586/mjpg-streamer-2.0-23.1.i586.rpm
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/vodoo/openSUSE_11.2/x86_64/mjpg-streamer-2.0-23.1.x86_64.rpm

There are packages for 11.0 and 11.1 as well. Perhaps you like them.

http://software.opensuse.org/search?baseproject=ALL&p=1&q=mjpg-streamer