webcam by Chicony Electronics CKF7063 ID 04f2:b083

Hey.
I have some problems with this webcam on laptop HP6735s. It gives a black screen when I test it with gqcam or kopete. I use uvc:
Some info:

linux-7yw3:~ # rpm -qa | grep uvc
uvcvideo-kmp-default-r260_2.6.25.18_0.2-1.2
linux-7yw3:~ # rpm -qa | grep spca
linux-7yw3:~ # rpm -qa | grep jasper
jasper-1.900.1-98.1
libjasper-1.900.1-98.1
linux-7yw3:~ # uname -a
Linux linux-7yw3 2.6.25.18-0.2-default #1 SMP 2008-10-21 16:30:26 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Some more info (lsusb -v):
NoPaste - brak @ 05.11.08 18:40:24 [plaintext]
Every help appreciated.

I had the same problems, and I documented a solution:

Chicony webcam onder OpenSUSE 11.1

it’s in dutch, if necc., i can make a translation for you

Hi,

Could you translate your instructions to english? I’m also having problems with my webcam, Bus 005 Device 003: ID 04f2:b071

Thanks

D

i’ll try to make one available asap, and keep you informed

Introduction:

My girlfriend has bought herself a Toshiba Satellite L300-19N Laptop, this machine has a built-in webcam as many do these days.Now the question: Does it work combined with Linux?

What model?

First thing you have to ask yourself: What exactly is it? manuals never put it clearly and Windows was already deleted from it’s hard drive. These commands, lspci and lsusb didn’t give us a clue where we could start searching, but alas, nothing definite to go on (afterwards it seemed I didn’t interpret the output correctly of the lsusb-command). I did see, with the aid of “dmesg” something passing that could have something to do with it “ucvideo”. Also, it seemed a module was loaded names ucvideo, as I found out with the command “lsmod”. Programs like mplayer, Kopete etc didn’t show any result when I tried to select a webcam.

As a last resort, I tried the following commando: lshal | grep video and this was the output of the device: 04f2:b070

lshal | grep video
udi = ‘/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_4f2_b070_SN0001_if0_video4linux’

Let’s Google
Ucvideo was the only thing with what I could start my quest and with some luck I found this site: LinuxTV.org - Television with Linux.
Not a simple site for things you really need, where drivers are located and such: It seemed I needed this sub section of the previous site: ~pinchartl/uvcvideo: Summary](http://linuxtv.org/hg/~pinchartl/uvcvideo/)

Install
On the top right corner, click on “gz”, and download the uvcvideo-*.tar.gz, keep in mind, this is a work-in-progress, daily snapshots.This version seemed to work for me: bb383c9099da.tar.gz, but I would always first try the lastest version over this one.
What you need before you can continue: kernel-source, gcc, gcc43-c++ en make. You can download these via Zypper or Yast. Afterwards you need to make a symbolic link for the C++ compiler: using the following command: sudo ln -s /usr/bin/g+±4.3 /usr/bin/g++
Unpack, compile and Install:

tar xzvf bb383c9099da.tar.gz
cd bb383c9099da
make all
make install

Reboot your PC afterwards!

Succes
dmesg now suddenly reports:

uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device CNF7051 (04f2:b070)
usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo

MPlayer seemed to work now:
mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2 -vo xv

And even Skype reports finding a CNF7051, and a test proves it.
Kopete didn’t give an image and /var/log/messages reported:
kopete kernel: uvcvideo: Failed to query (1) UVC control 9 (unit 3) : -32 (exp. 2).
This seemed to be an audio-device problem. Enter the KDE control Center > Preferences > Sound and change Audio Conferencing > Sound Capture to USB Audio. If it’s already set to this option, just change it and change it back.

Any idea what the equivalent action in KDE4 is? I can’t find Audio Conferencing settings…