Thanks caf4926 this worked for me. The problem has been driving me to dispair. Do you happen to know how this can happen? Is there a way to avoid rebooting if it does happen again? I couldn’t read /etc/resolv.conf as it was not in text.
Thanks, I deleted resolv.conf followed by a reboot and that didn’t work.
I’ve since tried turning off IPv6 with out any effect. I compred network info using the ip command in both 10.3 and 11.2 with the only differences were in ip ntable reachable numbers. Otherwise the same. I am no longer certain how to proceed with this issue.
I’m actually writing this using the Ubuntu 9.10 live DVD and Firefox 3.5.3.
Last Friday (12 Feb) I did a complete reinstall followed by a complete update using the IP address of the update server to get
No improvement. Repeated all my previous actions without any success.http://forums.opensuse.org/images/smiliesnew/sad.png
As I was reading this, something was bothering me through out the entire thread. How are you able to update? OK, so if you can update, then you have a connection. Just the browsers aren’t seeing the connection. This makes me suspect a proxy. Check for proxies. Also do a ping of some web site. Please paste the results.
My starting point for the network configuration, after I had established that my new 11.2 appeared not to be working, was the settings that I used in 10.3 which was working except I was unable to find the repositories for 10.3.
I was able to update by changing the name of the update server its IP address. I had previously established that IP addressing was working using ping and by starting the ntpd without error.
There is a major bug in OpenSUSE 11.2 X64, that seems to have been around for some months. It impacts DNS, DHCP, Wget, Firefox, etc., and possibly IPV6 and Avahi, and there are comments all over the discussion boards about various secondary consequences of it, and some proposed fixes, but the correct solution is not prominently noted.
The effect of the bug is that ping to a static IP works, but DNS lookups do not, and thus browsers do not work by URL (but will by IP address), and packages cannot be updated from repositories.
Some have suggested turning IPV6 off, some telling Firefox not to use IPV6, and some to edit /etc/resolv.conf --although this is a temporary solution as the file may get overwritten, or it may prevent future updates by Yast.
THE TEMPORARY FIX IS: