Warn users about forbidden chars in usernames

Hello!

I tried to connect since a while but I always got stuck with a bug. I finally found the reason:
https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=689498

There should at least have a warning when you register for forbidden characters because the error message

**Fatal error:**


  - That username is already in use or does not meet the administrator's standards. If you are XX-XXXX and you have forgotten your password, click [here](https://forums.opensuse.org/login.php?do=lostpw). 


Unable to proceed with save while $errors array is not empty in class **vB_DataManager_User** in **[path]/includes/class_dm.php** on line **849**

is far from explicit and it “poisons” your session, ie: You cannot navigate anymore in the forum even if you are not logged-in.

Like right now I write from FireFox because my Chrome session is not usable…

Good day!

On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 01:16:01 +0000, m6OpenSuse wrote:

> There should at least have a warning when you register for forbidden
> characters because the error message

Thanks for the suggestion - I’ll see what we can do. It might be
something best added to the pre-login banner.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 01:16:01 +0000, m6OpenSuse wrote:
>
>> There should at least have a warning when you register for forbidden
>> characters because the error message
>
> Thanks for the suggestion - I’ll see what we can do. It might be
> something best added to the pre-login banner.

FWIW I had the same problem with passwords, so make sure the text also
points out that only American passwords are allowed! :slight_smile:

On 12/18/2012 01:34 PM, Dave Howorth wrote:
> only American passwords are allowed

you mean ascii, right?

because, it would allow colourful_favourites_under_bonnet :slight_smile:


dd

We are looking at making some changes to the user registration application. Many of these special characters are already disallowed, and I will ask our electronic marketing department how they feel about disallowing the remaining characters as well. This would only affect new registrations, not existing accounts.

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 17:46:01 +0000, MatthewEhle wrote:

> We are looking at making some changes to the user registration
> application. Many of these special characters are already disallowed,
> and I will ask our electronic marketing department how they feel about
> disallowing the remaining characters as well. This would only affect
> new registrations, not existing accounts.

In the meantime, we’ve added a note to the pre-login banner that warns
about using a dash in one’s login name. :slight_smile:

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C