Want to start pure-ftpd on live disc boot - Suse Studio

Hi there,

We use a live DVD with an FTP server for doing throughput testing over our various networks - running completely from RAM we can get a full gigabit of throughput over fiber and it’s a cheap and easy solution. Because we can’t save configurations, it has typically required configuring IP info, configuring the FTP server, SSH, and adding test files every time we reboot from the DVD. I just discovered Suse Studio and I have to say I am impressed - great tool!

So I want to build a live disc that will boot into a ready state without needing any user intervention. I’ve built an ISO with the Studio with the base server, preconfigured IP address/route, pre uploaded test files, and the pure-ftpd package added, but I can’t seem to get the daemon to start when the disc boots. I’ve added “pure-ftpd -(option list)” to the “Run script whenever the appliance boots” section of the configuration, but it does not start. Everything else works great, and some other commands in that section work as well, but I can’t figure out how to make the FTP server start.

Anyone else have any suggestions on how I can get the FTP daemon to start on boot on a Studio built live DVD? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks much and keep up the great work!

Blair in Winnipeg.

Why not execute it with systemd via the startup configuration script with systemctl start pure-ftpd or just add systemctl enable pure-ftpd in the “Run script at the end of the build” so it’ll make it startup automatically.

Naturally you’ll need to have your configuration parameters properly set in /etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd.conf but since you’re building your own LiveUSB/DVD, you could just upload a pre-built configuration file there and replace the default one with whatever settings you so choose.

Just a thought.

On Thu 05 Mar 2015 04:46:02 PM CST, Miuku wrote:

Why not execute it with systemd via the startup configuration script
with systemctl start pure-ftpd or just add systemctl enable
pure-ftpd
in the “Run script at the end of the build” so it’ll make it
startup automatically.

Naturally you’ll need to have your configuration parameters properly set
in /etc/pure-ftpd/pure-ftpd.conf but since you’re building your own
LiveUSB/DVD, you could just upload a pre-built configuration file there
and replace the default one with whatever settings you so choose.

Just a thought.

Hi
There is a preset file in /usr/lib/systemd/system-preset/ just add it
to the list :wink: As in boot into test drive, modify then save back to
your SUSE Studio image.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.36-38-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response! I ended up replacing the after.local file in /etc/rc.d and that has done the trick but systemd is probably the better/proper way to do it.

I have some other specially purposed live discs I want to build to I will probably go that route in the future.

Thanks again. Cheers!

That’s even better then :3