Want both eth0 and wlan0 available

Hi,
I want to have both wired (eth0) and wireless (wlan0) connections available, so that if I pull the cable from the laptop I can still get wireless connection to the Net. Otherwise, I still have wired connection.
Any suggestion on how I can get this flexibility?

Thanks in advance.

It works for me with network manager in kde4

On 02/17/2010 10:26 PM, taytong888 wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I want to have both wired (eth0) and wireless (wlan0) connections
> available, so that if I pull the cable from the laptop I can still get
> wireless connection to the Net. Otherwise, I still have wired
> connection.
> Any suggestion on how I can get this flexibility?

With NetworkManager, it works that way.

Hi,
Left click NM icon: auto eth0 active (cable connected), no wireless connection
Switched to ifup: selected wireless card, change eth0 to wlan0 in Routing tab
Switched back to NM, now clicking NM icon reveals both types of connections.

Restarted with no cable connected, redX on NM icon (wired network disconnected). If restarted with cable connected, only have eth0 wired connection.

Then saw “network tools”. Network devices gives specific IP address of each device like eth0 or wlan0.

LIGHT BULB flashing!
Went back to ifup, in each device, select Routing tab (which originally has a blank routing table) and enter its own specific IP address, enter (common) default gateway address, then tick “allow IP address forwarding” or something like that. OK.

Reboot. Voila. Problem solved! Now I can use either wired or wireless connection.

I spoke too soon, am taking back “Voila! Problem solved”.
This morning upon logging in I saw wired connection only (auto eth0). Don’t know why NM keeps reverting back to “auto eth0”!

:-((

Since it’s connected. Preferred connection always is wired. Set both wired and wireless connection to connect automatically, tested and working here.

Per instructions found in this sub-forum for KNetworkManager, I set up my connections as follows:

eth0: auto-start on cable connection

wlan0: automatically at startup

Don’t know why wlan0 still does not show up in NM!

Because using your interfaces via NetworkManager and making any configurations in YaST (aka ifup) is a proven way get such behavior.

EITHER Networkmanager OR ifup, NOT both.

When using ifup, “ifplugd” is your friend (search forum on this).