Vulture Central: Windows 11 has a new KDE-esque user-interface

"Microsoft on Thursday announced Windows 11, or tried to as an uncooperative video stream left many viewers of the virtual event flummoxed by intermittent transmission gaps in the opening minutes.

The technical issues proved bad enough that Matt Velloso, Technical Advisor to the CEO at Microsoft, suggested trying the YouTube video stream as an alternative to the Microsoft-hosted one.

But with some of the features already known as a result of a leaked build last week, the impact of the intermittent video dropouts was less than it might have been.
Windows 11 has a new KDE-esque user-interface and new features like Snap Layouts, Snap Groups and Desktops (for organizing apps into collections and multitasking). Chat from Microsoft Teams has been integrated in the taskbar, Widgets have taken the place of Timeline, and there are various gaming-oriented enhancements like Auto HDR."

https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/24/microsoft_windows_11/

I have to work with a couple dual-boot systems, and I’m worried about the news about w11 requiring TPM 2.0. My mobos only have headers, although one has a bios option to activate something called AMD CPU fTPM, that “Enables or disables the TPM 2.0 function integrated in the AMD CPU”. Perhaps this will be enough, if microshaft is not trying to push out other OSes…

Great plan my Mightysoft to force the world to migrate to Linux.

You have to have TPM and no support for 32bit Intel architecture.

That means 1,000,000’s of ATM and POS machines cannot go to Win 11.

Most are still running Win XP as they do not have enough memory for newer versions.

For a Y2K test - I got an ATM to run RedHat 5.2 just in case Windows 95 could not work in 2000.

In testing we found lots of POS and ATM that moved from 1999 to 1900 not 2000.

Microsoft - security as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Yes, but –

• For most of the “I can’t live without Gates and Balmer
    ” humans on this planet, the biggest new capability/feature/gizmo is, the ability to run Android Apps – possibly direct from Google’s Play Store but, more likely, via the Windows Store …

[HR][/HR]Linux and Android Apps –

Meaning – Linux does this already but –

• The managers who were “persuaded
    ” to buy the Redmond stuff for the companies employing them, will not want to know that … >:)

[HR][/HR]For those who are wondering about “persuading” prospective customers, on a “level playing field” it’s an executive lunch, followed by a round of golf and, getting the contract signed at the tee where the prospective customer is winning.

• For the case of a “not so level playing field”, it’s an evening of Table Dance and other activities involving physical contact …

This morning I spent an hour or so working this issue through –

# inxi --filter --machine --cpu
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B450-PLUS v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3002 
           date: 03/11/2021 
CPU:       Info: Quad Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G with Radeon Vega Graphics bits: 64 type: MT MCP L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
           Speed: 1384 MHz min/max: 1400/3700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1267 2: 1291 3: 1293 4: 1258 5: 1333 6: 1330 7: 1356 
           8: 1266 
 # 

Until I enabled the AMD fTPM switch in the ASUS BIOS/EFI, at boot time the following message was appearing in the systemd Journal –

1.893613] kernel: ima: No TPM chip found, activating TPM-bypass!

I enabled the AMD fTPM – it’s known as “Platform Trust Technology” (PTT) on Intel Mainboards – and now –

0.000000] kernel: efi:  ACPI=0xca7d3000  ACPI 2.0=0xca7d3014  TPMFinalLog=0xcaa9f000  SMBIOS=0xcb816000  SMBIOS 3.0=0xcb815000  MEMATTR=0xc728a118  ESRT=0xc955e398  TPMEventLog=0x9011b018 
    0.005075] kernel: ACPI: TPM2 0x00000000CA7A5000 00004C (v03 ALASKA A M I    00000001 AMI  00000000)
    7.184884] systemd[1]: Starting TPM2 Access Broker and Resource Management Daemon...
    7.228906] systemd[1]: Started TPM2 Access Broker and Resource Management Daemon.

Don’t install the “tpm-tools” package – it manages an earlier TPM version –

• Install the “tpm2.0-tools” package – the systemd “TPM2 Access Broker and Resource Management Daemon” can be enabled if you wish – it doesn’t harm …

# systemctl status tpm2-abrmd.service 
● tpm2-abrmd.service - TPM2 Access Broker and Resource Management Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/tpm2-abrmd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Mon 2021-07-05 13:53:56 CEST; 2h 12min ago
 Main PID: 1162 (tpm2-abrmd)
    Tasks: 6
   CGroup: /system.slice/tpm2-abrmd.service
           └─1162 /usr/sbin/tpm2-abrmd

Jul 05 13:53:56 xxx systemd[1]: Starting TPM2 Access Broker and Resource Management Daemon...
Jul 05 13:53:56 xxx systemd[1]: Started TPM2 Access Broker and Resource Management Daemon.
 # 

Some more TPM system things –

# l /sys/class/tpm/tpm0/
insgesamt 0
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root    0  5. Jul 13:53 ./
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    0  5. Jul 13:53 ../
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 4096  5. Jul 16:10 dev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0  5. Jul 16:09 device -> ../../../MSFT0101:00/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    0  5. Jul 16:10 power/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    0  5. Jul 16:10 ppi/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    0  5. Jul 13:53 subsystem -> ../../../../../../class/tpm/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096  5. Jul 13:53 uevent
 # 
 # l /var/lib/tpm/
insgesamt 8
drwx------  2 tss  tss  4096  5. Jul 13:08 ./
drwxr-xr-x 74 root root 4096  5. Jul 12:19 ../
-rw-------  1 tss  tss     0  5. Jul 13:08 system.data
 # 

[HR][/HR]Bottom line –

• On Linux, it works without anything to worry about …
  • Whether or not, the human beings working in Redmond will “get it to work 1st time around”. is a moot point … >:)

Initially, Microsoft’s compatibility documentation said some older CPUs, including 7th generation Intel CPUs, would be partially supported. Specifically, Microsoft said people with these CPUs would be allowed to upgrade, but the upgrade process would warn people that their CPUs were not properly supported and would advise against the upgrade.

As we release to Windows Insiders and partner with our OEMs, we will test to identify devices running on Intel 7th generation and AMD Zen 1 that may meet our principles. We’re committed to sharing updates with you on the results of our testing over time, as well as sharing additional technical blogs.

More: https://www.howtogeek.com/739029/why-doesnt-windows-11-support-my-cpu/

Which has an interesting sentence –

Thanks to TPM 2.0, all Windows 11 PCs can have Device Encryption to store files in an encrypted form.

Meaning, the user gets intruded via SQL Injection (SQLi) and the intruder encrypts their files, which are already encrypted by means of the operating systems tools …

• By whatever means the user manages to decrypt the files which were encrypted by the intruder and, discovers that, the decryption rendered the (TPM 2.0) encrypted files unusable …

[HR][/HR]No comment …

Almost –

• At least on this ASUS AMD system, if TPM is activated, the Leap 15.2 DVD is not allowed to boot –

[INDENT=2]“Red Box” – with a “somebody has been messing about with the keys message” …
[/INDENT]

• TPM has to be deactivated in the BIOS/UEFI to allow the DVD to be booted – no need to disable UEFI; only need to disable TPM …

The Leap 15.3 (box) DVD is also not allowed to boot – <SUSE Paste;
Once again – TPM needs to be disabled if a DVD needs to be booted … [HR][/HR]Question:
What happens with Dual-Boot?

• Does TPM have to be deactivated if Dual-Boot is to function as expected?

My Dell 7490 has no issues with TPM2.0 and openSUSE.

I just got the Win 11 iso and installed it in VirtualBox - you have to use the Win 10 -64 option or it will not install.

The iso build uses 57GB of storage.

The desktop looks just like the Macintosh Big Sur - you have to try right clicks to find menu items that were obvious in Win 10.

Yes, but since Android is Microsoft’s most profitable mobile operating system (there’s some argument that they make more money from Android than Google — patents) it’s really just enabling their mobile OS to work on their desktop OS.