vsftpd has unreliable connectsions

I have having trouble saying connected to my FTP server, using vsftpd, long enough to download a file from it. The connection starts off at 100KB/s then quickly drops down to 0KB/s where I am disconnected. I had to raise the number of allowed connections from one IP just to have it keep trying for more than 3 minutes and I am still not going anywhere. The ports are open in the server and it is in the DMZ of my router so no firewall should be causing this to happen, and I don’t think it is my network because everything else is fine.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

To exclude any routing/firewall issues… Have you tried downloading from a system that is connected to the same network segment (making a direct connection) to see if the same thing happens?

Could have something to do with the NAT translation not handling the FTP traffic correctly (if using NAT).

Magic31 wrote:

>
> To exclude any routing/firewall issues… Have you tried downloading
> from a system that is connected to the same network segment (making a
> direct connection) to see if the same thing happens?
>
> Could have something to do with the NAT translation not handling the
> FTP traffic correctly (if using NAT).
>
>

I think it was just a problem with vsftpd’s config file because after restarting the process my ftp client was able to download the same file twice over with out me noticing, and without an error.

“We must plan for freedom, and not only for security, if for no other reason than only freedom can make security more secure.” Karl Popper