vncserver desktop launch - fail on kmserver

openSUSE11.2 (x86_64)
KDE 4.3.5

My normal windowing operations are fine. I have no problems running parallel kde desktop sessions (1 user, 1 root), switching back and forth with ease.

I have been able to get vnc remote connections to work, but the only desktop environment I can get to run twm. When I try to start kde it fails with:

startkde: Starting up…
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
Communication error with KInit.
startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.

Which is weird because:
> which ksmserver
/usr/bin/ksmserver

I have this in my .vnc xstartup:
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title “$VNCDESKTOP Desktop” &

/usr/bin/startkde

Sorry - I’m an X novice… I’ve read several related vnc threads. It appears to me I have a more general X11 setup failure, but at this point I’m lost…

Dirk!

ok just an observation. You should NOT log into any GUI as root. This can cause problems.

My thread so I guess I can do this - root on a gui -please amplify…

This puzzles me. For instance, don’t you have to run YaST as root?

===

I have the X problem even if I am on just a lowly user account…

Dirk!

Of course but you are not running the whole Xwindows system as root just the one app. The problems arise when you log into a full GUI desktop as root. The processes can change ownership of various configuration/control files in a user directory and this can stop a user from logging on.

There is nothing you need to do in a root GUI.

Of course this does nothing about you VNC problem

You might check here.

http://opensuse.swerdna.org/index.html

Thanks for the “root” amplifications. If running GUI as root breaks the system, the system is flawed.

I have gone through the link that you provided. Unfortunately - doesn’t address/fix the issue.

I have traced this to a fault in kmserver (by getting rid of the kwrapper use in startkde). It is complaining about not being able to create a D-Bus.

What’s a D-Bus and why would I need one… :slight_smile:

D-Bus Tutorial