VNC rejecting login

opensuse v11.3

The remote host has VNC enabled and the firewall port open. I can connect to the remote host and receive a login screen. I login. The connection is reset.

The message in the system log:

Jan 15 13:09:10 sma-server3 kdm_config[8045]: Multiple occurrences of key 'UseTheme' in section [X-*-Greeter] of /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc

I tried this with both vinagre and a browser connection (java).

What is missing?

Since you receive a login screen and I guess that is the login screen of your remote computer, i.e. kdm or gdm, seems vnc server is running ok but a crash happens.

The crash happens after you try to login to kdm and I can not be sure which could be the culprit (vnc or kde or both).

Did you try to use a vnc server config with lower specs (resolution, depth, etc.)?

If you used to setup your vnc from yast I think the config file is located in /etc/xinetd/“vnc”.conf (at least for older versions that’s where it suppose to be).

Cheers.

There are three instances of vncserver available for openSUSE 11.3. Which one are you using on the 11.3 server?
(maybe 4 versions if include Gnome version too)

Looks like a scripting error post login in the script /usr/share/kde4/config/kdm/kdmrc

If you’re running KDE 4.x maybe you can look at the script to see why the “UseTheme” is multiple occurences. Can you disable background images for the remote?