VNC, RDP, LTSP and thin clients

Hi,
I recently got more and more interesed in the whole VNC, RDP, LTSP and thin clients solutions and I would like to learn some more information from you guys, this is such a great forum, I learned a lot since I switched to linux.

So,
As far as I understand RPD and VNC are in one category and LTSP is a different thing.

RDP is faster than VNC due to the way it transmits data, VNC sends “images” of the remote display using more bandwidth vs VNC wich sends coordinate data.

LTSP is a terminal server, allows people to connect and run their applications on a single server that runs LTSP. It provides abillity for thin clients to boot over ethernet directly in the login window (if I explain correctly).

What I don’t understand yet, is the main differences and advantages between these ! The more I read on Google the more confused I get.

One simple question I got in mind now is, why would an office not use just VNC on a server with N user accounts created for each employer instead on LTSP ? What does LTSP really provides ?

Hi,

One simple question I got in mind now is, why would an office not use just VNC on a server with N user accounts created for each employer instead on LTSP ? What does LTSP really provides ?

In one hande, LTSP allows you to have unexpensive clients because you boot on the LTSP server. In the other hand, a VNC client must have an OS by it-self and, at the end, costs more. This is how I see it :).

What about the speed ? On a 100Mbps LAN how would working in Photoshop inside a XP VM on the server with LTSP be ?

What about the speed ? On a 100Mbps LAN how would working in Photoshop inside a XP VM on the server with LTSP be ?

I don’t know… I would use thin clients for webrowsing and such, keeping classic workstations for heavy applications. Maybe LTSP gurus can help you.

I’m now bidding on eBay on a HP thin client, I would love to get it and do experiments.

What about hardware of thinclients ? What benefits does a thin client get from a higher clocked cpu and a higher amount of ram ? I saw there are thin clients with several hardware specs.