I know that you are not exactly responsible for vlc, but you are distributing it from your repository, so I pose my question here.
error:vlc plays audio but not video (no decoder modul h264)
cpu: Intel(R) Core™ i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz
os: Linux version 3.11.10-21-desktop
dist: NAME=openSUSE, 13.1 (Bottle), openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64)
I had two openSuse 12.3 and upgraded them both last week nearly at the same time with “zypper distupgrade” to version 13.1. After that I got a new installation of vlc on both systems. vlc is running on one of the systems without problems and on the other one it plays audio but no video.
When starting it with (i.e.) a .mp4 file it displays the error message (actually displayed in german and translated to english, so this is not the exact text that would appear on an english installation)
*No fitting decoder modul: VLC does not support audio or video format “h264”. You can not do anything about that.
*A search in the WWW showed, that this seems not to be a new problem since I found forum records from 2007, 2010, 2012, 2013 to my and other similar problems including in this forum. And not only with Suse. And I tried many of the proposed solutions. Without any success.
Summary of my failed trials (only the most important ones):
- Deinstallation of vlc with yast2; New installation from Suse repository; reboot of the system.
- Deinstallation of vlc with yast2; New installation with the file vlc.ymp (yast; Source: http://www.vlc.de/vlc_download_linux.php); reboot. And yes: I noticed that the file is for Suse 12.3 and corrected that once “on the fly” and in a second step in the file itself. And I checked if the repositories for 13.1 do exist. The installation worked two times correctly but the running vlc kept showing no video.
- Deinstallation of the codecs and new installation from the “Packman Repository” - ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/packman/suseopenSUSE_13.1.
- Installation of vlc-kde access modules with codecs-kde.ymp (yast2)
- I know I have no gnome but I desparately tried it anyway: Installation of vlc-gnome access modules with codecs-gnome.ymp (yast2)
- I tried several repositories recommended in the WWW for vlc. Without success.
- And last but not least: I copied the codecs with brute force from my working installation from the directory /usr/lib64/vlc/plugin/codecs to the computer with the failing vlc. No success.
What can I do to get the vlc showing .mp4 videos?