VirtualBox vs. Vagrant: incompatible versions

Hi,

I’m running VirtualBox 6.0 on my workstation. I just installed Vagrant to manage virtual machines easier. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to work. I get an error message informing me that the version of Vagrant shipping with OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 only supports VirtualBox 4.0 to 5.2.

What now? Any suggestions?

1. Submit a “feature request” for new Vagrant packages at https://bugzilla.opensuse.org

2. Vagrant is a collection of scripts. I’m sure if you download directly from their website at the following page, you’ll get the latest

https://www.vagrantup.com/downloads.html

TSU

I just found a third-party repo for a recent version of Vagrant that works perfectly.

Problem solved.

Cheers.

Could you post the third party repo?

Thanks.
Cheers.

on this site you link here, all vagrant downloads are all meant to be used with other linux distributions. Or is there one, that you could recoment for use on leap 15.1?

Yes, the one for just “Linux”

None of the distro=specific versions, not necessary or wanted.

TSU

thanks a lot for your hint!

I downloaded the file for “Linux 64 bit”. I get an archive that contains one single file. Probably it’s an installer. What am I supposed to do with it. I can’t execute it by clicking on it.
If I do a

sh vagrant

I get the “If vagrant is not a typo”-message.

What can I do?

Other approach: Install vagrant via Git

I am asked not to use “system ruby” but to install ruby with rvm.

Thanks for any hint!

First please do not show half and then tell half. Show all, he command line (with th prompt), the output and the new prompt line. Then we have all in one go and we do not have to put things together.

Then, show that file and what ist is:

ls -l vagrant
file vagrant

When we have no information we can not advice.

Sorry, I thought it is helpful to translate german output. But I translated wrong. This is the output:

sh vagrant
vagrant: vagrant: Kann die Datei nicht ausführen.

Then, show that file and what ist is:

Here’s the code:

ls -l vagrant
-rwxr-xr-x 1 myuser users 38928360 14. Okt 17:02 vagrant

When you are in doubt about the output language being understood here, use the prefix LANG=C for a command. Example:

henk@boven:~> ls -l aap
ls: kan geen toegang krijgen tot 'aap': Bestand of map bestaat niet
henk@boven:~> LANG=C ls -l aap
ls: cannot access 'aap': No such file or directory
henk@boven:~> 

And the prompts are still missing. Again look at my example how to copy/paste complete lines!

And I asked also for the all important

file vagrant

Please read posts carefully.

Sorry hcvv, I really try to read carefully.

Thats cool. Thanks!

And the prompts are still missing. Again look at my example how to copy/paste complete lines!

ok!

And I asked also for the all important

file vagrant

Here we go:

myuser@linux-computer:~/Downloads/vagrant_2.2.6_linux_amd64> file vagrant
vagrant: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/l, for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, stripped

Would there be a security risk if I did not change the computer name to i.e. “linux-computer” in the output above?

As you see, it is not a script, but a compiled and linked executable program. Thus just calling it would start it (well a scipt would act the same, but you did not just call it, you called sh and then fed it that file, which sh did not understand of course).

Thus, when you are in the directory where that program is:

./vagrant

PLEASE take care. I just helped you how to get that program running. But I do not know what that program is, I know nothing about the subject Vagrant (or Virual Box). Thus you should run at your own risk, not mine.
I do not say I mistrust it, but as tsu2 said something about it all being scripts, well, this is not.

That name (and the user name you use) are all internal to your system. I do not see a problem in showing it here. IMHO it does not give any hints on how it can be reached and entered from outside. So, as long as those names do not offend people …

./vagrant

okay, that dot slash does the job. I can run the program now. Hope I can install it…

thanks a lot!