It looks like auto-mounting shared folders in an OpenSUSE 13.2 guest with GNOME is not working, although the VirtualBox guest additions are installed - the default install does not create the /media folder and the vboxsf group is missing.
I did the steps described below to get it running, but my questions are: Is this the way to go or is there a better way to solve the problem? Are there any issues with the described approach (e.g. when updating the guest) that I need to be aware of?
The steps I followed:
- I uninstalled the VirtualBox guest additions installed by default.
- I installed kernel-desktop-devel and gcc.
- I created a folder /media with read, write and execute rights for everybody.
- In the VirtualBox menu of the VM I chose Devices > Insert guest additions CD image
- I installed the guest additions.
- I added the vboxsf group to the user who should be allowed to use the shared folder.
Btw, it looks like overriding an existing file via drag&drop in Nautilus is not working (“Error renaming temporary file: Text file busy”). Looks to me like this 4 year old bug https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/9203 is still lurking around, thus making shared folders - in my humble opinion - impossible to use.