Virtualbox - no audio hardware found?!?

So… based largely on the flawless performance of OpenSuSE as a Virtualbox guest running on Ubuntu… I finally installed 12.1 x86_64as my main OS on my laptop. A few minor growing pains later, and I’m ready to install Virtualbox and import the dozen or so guests I had restored to my home directory.

I got thru the install of the Oracle Virtualbox 4.1.6 per swerna’s article on here; for the most part it went pretty smoothly other than an undocumented reboot to get things working to where I could install the extensions I’d downloaded.

So… now when I’m restoring my saved VMs by going thru the menus ‘Machine → Add…’ and navigating to the saved vbox file and then starting it up again, I get a pop-up with the following message on it:

The virtual machine execution may run into an error condition as described below. 
We suggest that you take an appropriate action to avert the error.

No audio devices could be opened. Selecting the NULL audio backend with the consequence that no sound is audible.

Now… I know the audio is working on the host (listening to Pandora internet radio as I type this…). What could cause this snafu? I’ll admit, I never really tried running any audio apps in any of the VMs previously (they were created using Oracle Virtualbox 4.1.6 on Ubuntu 11.10 x86_64) - but I never got this error message before either.

Any ideas or suggestions?

TIA,

Monte

This reads to me like a Ubuntu Virtual Box setting problem.

Not so much an Ubuntu problem… but they did use a different audio driver (Pulse) than SuSE does (ALSA), so I just had to shut down the VM, change the setting to the correct audio driver, and away we go… :wink:

While not the same thing, but if you are running openSUSE 12.1 as the VirtualBox Host and find no audio in your guests, it could also be a problem with your Multimedia setup in the Host. I did a clean install of openSUSE 12.1 over openSUSE 11.4, but kept my old /home area and I had turned off all system notifications AND I had not visited the Multimedia setup of personnel settings, making sure that the same sound setup that works was assigned to all systems and configurations. Which just means that the audio device that works should be on the top for all systems in KDE. Once I took care of these issues, I got my sound working in the VirtualBox guest systems under openSUSE 12.1. So, can’t be too quick to blame an issue on openSUSE 12.1 that is for sure. I have installed the most recent VirtualBox from Oracle including the latest Guest Extensions. While old hat for some I am sure, but I found I can copy the vxd disk file between systems, reusing it and finding I can use the same installation on another PC. Just give it the same settings as before and away you go, it just works and saves lots of loading and configuration time.

Thank You,

We have a new forum for VM questions that you can find here and its brand new:

Virtualization

Please use it to post any new questions on Virtualizations.

Thank You,