Virtualbox guest access to cups printer via usb and wireless connect

I’m back and still looking for a solution to printing. Have two machines 3000 miles apart.
Both are Acer E1-572 Laptop with opensuse 13.2 Linux host and have virtualbox with xp guests.
Virtualbox extensions are installed as are guest additions.

Both have identical set-ups except one is using a USB Epson-Stylus-Photo-R200 Printer through Cups and the other one is using a HP-officejet-5740

Machine one with Epson printer
— Cups says url is http://localhost:631/printers/EPSON_Stylus_Photo_R200

•       Print sharing is on, network sharing is on, print from internet is on

— Linux can print on demand to this printer without problems inclusive of it’s CD print feature
— VirtualBox Windows XP

•         With USB rule set for Epson usb printer R200 shows under devices_usb grayed out can choose it

•         Using add printer :

•               Local attached Printer .... = No such printer can be found.

•               Network Printer .... no connection can be found.

•                       Tried http://localhost:631/printers/EPSON_Stylus_Photo_R200    ..... Fails

•                       Tried http://192.168.0.1:631/printers/EPSON_Stylus_Photo_R200 .... Fails  (Dquad of localhost obtained from VirtualBox website

•                       Tried http://192.168.58.1:631/printers/EPSON_Stylus_Photo_R200 .... Fails  (Dquad of localhost obtained from VBox website

Machine two with HP Officjet 5740

•     substitute HP_OfficeJet_5740 for EPSON_Stls... in the above

— Linux can print on demand to this printer whether attached via USB or through the wireless access
— VirtualBox Windows XP

•         all the same results.

My search for solutions found numerous entries stating that VirtualBox can not use NAT network it must be set to Bridged or Host only but doing that kills internet access which works perfectly.

9 months and I am totally lost.

Hi techwiz03

Yes, bridged networking is what you need here, with the guest OS configured to get a DHCP assigned address (or a suitable static address assigned instead). Then you should be able to reach your network printer without issue. So, try setting up with a bridged network and report back. You should be able to ping your host and router (gateway) to start with. FWIW, I have openSUSE Leap running as a VB guest (Windows 7 host) working with bridged networking and can print from the gues with no issue, so I’m sure I can assist here.

Anyway, you might want to show us the Windows XP network config using

ipconfig /all

and Linux host network

/sbin/ifconfig

The image/answer provided in this Ubuntu virtualbox thread might help with making sure the correct host network interface is bridged to start with.

Before creating a post like this in the future, try to think of a way of formatting your post to display everything as concisely as possible. This accomplishes two things, not only will others understand your scenarios better, but the scenarios will likely be more clear to you. Write everything down for yourself when planning something like this, I often do so to organize and clarify so I have everything necessary at my fingertips instead of continually running apps on different machines to refresh in my mind what exists.
In general, I recommend separate paragraphs in this order

Describe each problem separately, because in all likelihood each is a separate problem.

Objective (what you want to accomplish, in summary)
Problem (What is not happening, in summary)
How the devices were set up, in your case the printers. Did you use CUPS? Custom OEM software?
Physical topology (what is connected to what)
Networking (ifconfig, ip addr, ip route, maybe more) of each device which has a network interface
Then as concisely as possible, some detail about what you tried and the result of each try. In your case, this may include pinging other machines if you’re having problems setting up your networking.

OK,
Let’s consider this printer first.
The first thing to notice is that CUPS appears to have created a networking connection to your printer (using the localhost interface), and this is regardless how your physical connection is made(There is such a thing as TCP/IP over USB if that is what you have).
But, you also seem to have configured the machine your EPSON is attached to as a Printer Server, which means that the machine it’s attached to is providing Printer Network Services on your printer’s behalf, including a print queue.

A fundamental issue you have to architect is a network connection between your Printer Server and the remote machine (in the remote site). There are a number of ways to do this… One is to configure Bridged Networking as you described so that the Printer Server is on the same physical network as the Host (and other machines in the same site/LAN). Another way which should work with any network connection is to construct a VPN. Another way which is far less common than other methods is to create routing rules to expose specific ports through the NAT. Or, lastly forget this if it’s confusing but Virtualbox uniquely configures NAT clients to share the same IP address, so maybe the only thing that might be required is to open the appropriate networking port in the firewalls (both Host and Guest).** Before any other networking, this fundamental networking design must be working.**

After you have established network communications between your remote machines (virtual or physical, then you can consider the next layer above basic networking, the Printer Network Share.
Although you haven’t clarified, I assume that the “network sharing” you configured is SMB/CIFS network shares, and not something else.
If this is the case, then you need to open the port for your printer in your firewall. Be aware that although possible, exposing SMB network shares directly over the Internet is not considered “Best Practice” because it can potentially expose not just your printer but other network shares to hackers (Yes, there are a number of well known hacks to own printers. In fact, something like 99% of all HP printers more than a decade old are subject to a well known vulnerability which can be used to potentially hack your entire network).

So, now you have to consider whether to set up a VPN or expose your SMB shares over the Internet. There is nothing particularly unique about whether the machines are virtualized or not, you can follow conventional guides but if you have a problem you can post back. Note also that although your SMB shares (or however else your printer is configured on your network) should be automatically discoverable (including your Priner), that’s not automatically so. Without a method of discovery, particularly across a VPN you may have to manually configure your client to “see” the remote shares.

OK, for this printer I highly recommend setting up your printer with its own network address (using wireless). Life is soooooo much simpler printing directly to a network printer instead of through a Printer Server, so for instance you don’t have to even think about NAT networks unless your physical network is behind a NAT router(At least you don’t have to think about a Virtualbox NAT). Note also that a network printer is <not> serving using SMB shares and the network address (and port) can usually be made available over the Internet without a problem. Unless you have roving clients though, you should lock down security so that Internet access to your printer is restricted only to your remote site or machine.

Hope that is enough to clarify a few things…
I wasn’t provide a lot of specifics, but that is partly because your psot lacks specifics and as I described there are also some decisions I described you need to make.

TSU

As per tsu2 request

Objective:
. To get two identical (except for printer type) Laptops which are 3000 miles
. apart to print both in Linux Host and Virtual Box Windows XP guest.

Problems:
. Machine one: Acer Aspire E1-572 Laptop
. Linux can print to the printers without issue using CUPS.
. Virtual Box with Windows guest can not.
. CUPS: version 1.5.4

. Machine two: Acer Aspire E1-572 Laptop
. Linux can print to the printers without issue using CUPS.
. Virtual Box with Windows guest can not.
. CUPS: version 1.5.4
. CUPS:
. Refers to localhost:631 which is supposed to equate to an actual
. ip address which I have been told is 192.168.0.1 also told is
. 192.168,58,1 and this AM was told it is 127.0.0.255 or use default of
. 192.255.255.1

Device Set-up:
. Machine one:

openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.1.4.9
    Hostname: Linux.site
    Quad Core 2.6ghz cpu
    Storage: 931.5GiB
    Memory: 6GiB
    Network 1: lo      127.0.0.1 / 255.0.0.0 Loopback up
    Network 2: wlp2s0  192.168.10.172 / 255.255.255.0 Broadcast up

ifconfig:
enp1s0f0  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr F8:A9:63:A4:74:74  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:18 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:328 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:328 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:49930 (48.7 Kb)  TX bytes:49930 (48.7 Kb)

wlp2s0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 18:CF:5E:6F:E7:57  
          inet addr:192.168.10.172  Bcast:192.168.10.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::1acf:5eff:fe6f:e757/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:15932 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4374 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:3003853 (2.8 Mb)  TX bytes:684960 (668.9 Kb)

VirtualBox ver 4.3.36
          VRDP Authentication: VBox Auth 
          NAT : Nat Network
          Host_only: none
          XP Guest: XP Professional x_64
               1500MiB ram
               CPU 2
               Video mem 32MB
               Network: 
                 Attached to NAT, enabled
                 adapter: intel pro/1000 MT Desktop 82540EM
                 cable connected
                 port forwarding none
Windows XP:

Windows IP Configuration 
     Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : site
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.15
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.2

. Machine two:

openSUSE 13.2 (Harlequin) (x86_64)
    KDE: 4.1.4.9
    Hostname: Linux.site
    Quad Core 2.6ghz cpu
    Storage: 931.5GiB
    Memory: 6GiB
    Network 1: lo      127.0.0.1 / 255.0.0.0 Loopback up
    Network 2: wlp2s0  192.168.10.172 / 255.255.255.0 Broadcast up

ifconfig:
enp1s0f0  Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr F8:A9:63:A4:74:74  
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:18 

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:328 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:328 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
          RX bytes:49930 (48.7 Kb)  TX bytes:49930 (48.7 Kb)

VirtualBox ver 4.3.36
          VRDP Authentication: VBox Auth 
          NAT : Nat Network
          Host_only: none
          XP Guest: XP Professional x_64
               1500MiB ram
               CPU 2
               Video mem 32MB
               Network: 
                 Attached to NAT, enabled
                 adapter: intel pro/1000 MT Desktop 82540EM
                 cable connected
                 port forwarding none
Windows XP:

Windows IP Configuration 
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : site
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.15
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.2.2

CuPS Config Machine one:

{Y}Show printers shared by other systems
        Protocols: {Y}CUPS {N}LDAP {N}SLP
{Y}Share printers connected to this system
        Max clients:100
{Y}Allow printing from the Internet
         {N}Advertise web interface
{N}Allow remote administration
{N}Use Kerberos authentication (FAQ)
{Y}Allow users to cancel any job (not just their own)
{Y}Preserve job history
        Number of jobs: 500

localhost:631/printers
    Name1: EPSON_Stylus_Photo_R200
    Descript1: EPSON Stylus Photo R200
    Location1: Local Printer
    Make1:     Epson Stylus Photo R200 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10
    Status1:   Idle

EPSON driver and cdprint software installed.

CUPS Config Machine two:

{Y}Show printers shared by other systems
{Y}Share printers connected to this system
        Max clients:100
{Y}Allow printing from the Internet
         {N}Advertise web interface
{N}Allow remote administration
{N}Use Kerberos authentication (FAQ)
{Y}Allow users to cancel any job (not just their own)
{Y}Preserve job history
        Number of jobs: 500

localhost:631/printers
    Name1: HP_Officejet_5700_Series
    Descript1: HP Officejet 5740
    Location1: Local Printer
    Make1:     unknown as she is 3000 miles away.
    Status1:   Idle

HPLIP full application installed from oss.

Connections:
. Machine one:
. Acer Laptop connected with Epson Printer via USB dev = USB001
. Acer connected to Internet via wifi using wlp2s0

. Machine two:
. Acer Laptop connected to HP-Officejet-5740 Printer via USB dev=USB001
. Acer Laptop connected to HP-Officejet-5740 Printer via wifi
. Acer Laptop connected to Internet via wifi using wlp2s0

Here is what I tried:
. Machine one:
. Set-up EPSON in CUPS and test printing using gimp, openoffice, libreoffice, okular.
. Results: all perfect no issues printing to USB connected printer thru CUPS.
. Attempt to set up new printer in windows to use cups but can’t resolve WTF localhost:631/printers is. no ip for localhost works. Tried every sequence from 192.168.0.0 thru 192.168.255.255 over 9 months and none result in finding the cups printer.
. Tried changing to bridge adapter and lost internet connectivity and no
result in finding the printer.
. Modified VirtualBox Windows XP -> USB to make rule for EPSON printer and
it shows greyed out under devices->USB so can’t select it.
. Modified rules in etc to make all USB devices available to guest os. This
also made no difference.

. Machine two: 3000 mile away.
. Talk non computer person thru proceedures.
. Set-up HP Officejet 5740 Printer in CUPS and have her test printing
from gwenview and okular.
. Results: all perfect no issues using wifi
. Connect printer using USB and retest
. Results: all perfect no issues using USB
. Attempt to set up new printer in windows to use cups but can’t resolve WTF localhost:631/printers is. no ip for localhost works. Tried a few sequences
mentioned as being for localhost but none worked.

Tried to ping my host from XP and got ‘command not found’
Also now have no internet access in XP going with bridged adapter.

Yes, but you need to show the IP configuration in bridged mode for us to understand what the problem is. The ‘ipconfig /all’ data you provided relates to NAT configuration. The guest, host (and network printer for that matter) should have assigned IP addresses within the same subnet.

Windows XP should have the ping command available…

Only once you have DHCP working on the guest, can you proceed. It needs to be 192.168.10.x (with subnet mask 255.255.255.0). Then you need to prove connectivity by pinging the host address, and gateway. BTW, the gateway can be got from the Linux host using

ip route

If you can ping a public IP address, then that will demonstrate internet connectivity. For name resolution to work, you’ll need a DNS address as well. Normally, DHCP (Windows network configuration to ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’) will take care of these things for you.

Just in case these help too

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2012/03/virtualbox-guest-additions/

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html#network_bridged

This is what I recommend:

Your HP printer supports a free HP “ePrint” service which makes it really easy to send files to your printer by sending your files as attachments in an email address assigned to your printer.

I haven’t set this up personally but have seen it work. Read your printer user manual for instructions how to set up, it should be working within an hour with very little effort. I don’t think you need to even set up port forwarding in your LAN Gateway, I think your printer can be found in a NAT network using a callback (or maybe a VPN?) to an HP server.

This would be by far the most secure solution with minimal exposure to hacking.

Your Epson printer on the other hand could be a challenge to set up securely because it doesn’t have a network interface and Epson doesn’t offer a service similar to HP’s ePrint.

You can set up a secure connection between your networks and use your existing Print Server setup, but I instead highly recommend a small investment in a Print Server device like a TrendWare TE100-P2U1P. It’s likely any similar device will work, but because your EPSON is so far away, I assume you’d want to try to use a Print Server others have reported works with your printer (I found this specific Print Server in this Forum thread)
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/15334-3-epson-r200-r300-r800-print-servers

You can probably find other Print Servers Googling something like “print server epson r200”
Generally, these print servers cost approx $35-50 new, the street price is maybe half that.

The benefits of using a print server…
Your USB printer then is set up similar to your HP printer, you don’t need to connect to a machine, and an attached machine doesn’t have to be turned on to use the printer.
To enable remote (Internet) access to your printer, you only need to determine the IP address and port of your print server device (typically will display in a web page running on the device) and then configure forwarding in the Gateway of that network. For better security, you should likely also restrict print jobs only from specified remote Internet addresses.

So, it’ll be likely that you should be able to set up the EPSON printer within an hour with minimal complications and effort.
You only need
Admin access to the Gateway device for the network so you can configure the forwarding rule
Either remote access to a machine in the remote network so you can configure the print server or someone who can do it relaying info to you (The more technical you are, the more you can do on your own but it might not be a big deal if someone in the remote network can either describe to you what he sees, or can take pictures and post somewhere for you to view. There are both technical and non-technical ways to accomplish).

If you prefer instead to set up a VPN for access between your networks, post back… But, I can see that since you have configured the same networkID for both the physical(192.168.10.0) and virtual networks(10.0.2.0) at both sites, it will be a big job with potential disruption (depending on how many machines are in each network). A big hint… Next time, when you build a new network, rarely use default values and always configure the networkID to be something that would be <very> unlikely used by another network so that if you ever need to connect the networks together, you will be able to route between the two networks. Not all networks can be connected together as easily when the networks are using the same networkid. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, I can ramble on but I’m trying to keep this post only as long as is needed for your immediate decision.

PS
Another print server, a Netgear WGPS606
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/netgear-print-server-compatibility-list-(2005)

TSU

Objective:
. To get two identical (except for printer type) Laptops which are 3000 miles
. apart to print both in Linux Host and Virtual Box Windows XP guest.

Problems:
. To get a concise answer as to What the Ip address of localhost is
. To clarify why two identical machines.
. To provide additional requested info
. To understand networking terms all seem to have dual or multiple meanings making distinction almost imposible.

localhost:
From what I gather from @dean_f localhost is based on 192.168.10.x obtained from the ifconfig:wlp2s0 network which is wireless card. Yes or no?
x.x.x.172 is the card access point (base address) Yes or no?
Assuming 192.168.10.172 is real localhost access point then :631 is port
for directing to CUPS server? Yes or No?

Two identical machine issues:
It is not so we can print across 3000 miles. It is so that when machine two
operator has trouble or questions I can go onto my exact copy of her machine and direct her with exact steps.
If I need to take control of her machine I hope to use teameviewer or vnc or
some other remote sharing but that is an issue for another day.

ifconfig / IP route :
. Machine one:

ifconfig:
ip route
default via 192.168.10.1 dev wlp2s0  proto static  metric 1024 
192.168.10.0/24 dev wlp2s0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.10.172

ip route gives meanless info about nodes 1,0/24,172,255
I say they are meaningless because CUPS, VirtualBox, and Windows XP do not mention anything about nodes.

ipconfig / ping in windows XP with bridged network

Windows IP Configuration

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.248
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1

Pinging google.com [216.123.194.119] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.123.194.119: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=61
Reply from 216.123.194.119: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=61
Reply from 216.123.194.119: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 216.123.194.119:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 13ms

Ping request could not find host 192.168.10.172:631. Please check the name and try again.

To me ping says internet @ google.com exists but using ie or firefox says
‘no server found’
Trying to ping CUPS server could not be found either.

@tsu2
I know about eprint and no we do not want to use cloud based stuff. IMHO it is already too easy for hacker to get into or steal your info. we only want to print from windows XP to printer. Manual says connect printer using usb and get it working then you can switch to wifi mode and detach usb if you like.
Had eshare for my kodak camera, sony handicam, and an old cannon printer and anything sent through eshare was visible to anyone with-in range of these devices and even at the so called secure servers. So don’t want or need eprint.

Thanks anyway

@tsu2
I do not need server for the epson. Just need epson to work with CUPS in Linux and occasionally print from windows XP through CUPS. All Local. Epson connects to Acer using USB and that is all I need there. CUPS is a server so no need for hardware server as well.

localhost:
From what I gather from @dean_f localhost is based on 192.168.10.x obtained from the ifconfig:wlp2s0 network which is wireless card. Yes or no?

No, localhost is the hostname associated with the IP address 127.0.0.1 and assigned to the loopback network interface of a given local machine.

x.x.x.172 is the card access point (base address) Yes or no?
]
Are you referring to your wireless interface on machine 1 (ie the Linux host OS)? That was assigned 192.168.10.72. Your Linux machine will be running CUPS which can act as both server and client. If you printer is attached to the host machine by USB cable, then the guest can access it as a CUPS printer. However, if the printer is attached to the network in its own right, then CUPS doesn’t come into it. Some of the confusion comes from your mention of two machines 300 mile apart. If you just referred to one of them, then your problem could have been explained more clearly IMHO.

Assuming 192.168.10.172 is real localhost access point then :631 is port
for directing to CUPS server? Yes or No?

No, no, no… you’re getting yourself very mixed up here. When you want to access a CUPS server running within the machine you’re working on, then you use localhost (or 127.0.0.1). For example, this will get you access to the web configuration interface when CUPS is running locally…

http://localhost:631

Two identical machine issues:
It is not so we can print across 3000 miles. It is so that when machine two
operator has trouble or questions I can go onto my exact copy of her machine and direct her with exact steps.
If I need to take control of her machine I hope to use teameviewer or vnc or
some other remote sharing but that is an issue for another day.

Right, so just talk about the one machine. We don’t even need to know about the other :slight_smile:

Machine one:

ifconfig:
wlp2s0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 18:CF:5E:6F:E7:57
inet addr:192.168.10.172 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX bytes:3003853 (2.8 Mb) TX bytes:684960 (668.9 Kb)
ip route
default via 192.168.10.1 dev wlp2s0 proto static metric 1024
192.168.10.0/24 dev wlp2s0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.10.172

ip route gives meanless info about nodes 1,0/24,172,255
I say they are meaningless because CUPS, VirtualBox, and Windows XP do not mention anything about nodes.

Okay, ip route shows that there is a default route as expected., and that is the IP address of your router.

[QUOTE]
ipconfig / ping in windows XP with bridged network

Windows IP Configuration

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.248
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1

Okay, that is good…your guest has a valid IP address (same subnet as everything else on your LAN) and gateway is the router

Pinging google.com [216.123.194.119] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.123.194.119: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=61
Reply from 216.123.194.119: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 216.123.194.119:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 12ms, Maximum = 15ms, Average = 13ms

Good. You do have internet connectivity.

Now, can you please tell me explicitly - How is the printer connected? Via USB or is it on the network?

Connections:
. Machine one:
. Acer Laptop connected with Epson Printer via USB dev = USB001
. Acer connected to Internet via wifi using wlp2s0

Okay, you have re-summarised…good.

First you need to make sure that the printer is a shared printer in CUPS (running on host OS). You can use the CUPS web interface to do that. Fire up the browser on the host to do the necessary

http://localhost:631/printers

Windows guest:

1. Add a new Network printer in “Printers and Faxes” from the Control Panel
  2. Enter the URL address of your host’s printer.
http://192.168.10.172:631/printers/<printer name>

The printer name needs to match the host shared printer name. Use ‘lpstat -a’ on the host to get that.

If you have connection issues, you may need to check the Windows firewall settings:

Also, nicely explained here:

Network attached printers on a LAN are easier to configure for a guest OS (and no need to rely on the host OS CUPS server), but again probably best to drop the Windows firewall while configuring so that any printer broadcasts can be detected.

Hope that’s clear enough for you.

ave me the answer
Thankyou, Someone who after 9 months finally gave me the answer to what localhost is. So I should be trying to use 127.0.0.1:631/printers to link VirtualBox:Windows guest to the CUPS server not the 192.168.10.1/255:631 that I have been trying.

Also this AM tried Windows XP and the internet that was not available under bridged last night is available and works. Thinking that I had to completely shutdown the machine for the change to be recognised. I will now see if that resolves add printer for my machine with (EPSON)

One replay back you said localhost was 127.0.0.1 and in this reply you are saying 192.168.10.172 so which is right?

No, localhost is an internal virtual network inteface, within the OS concerned. The guest needs to connect via the hosts IP address configured for the LAN (ie 192.168.10.172). The 192.168.10.1 address is your router’s address so that won’t work either.

Use the host’s LAN address. The loopback address is only for internal purposes within the OS concerned. You have to think of the guest and the host being separate machines, connected on the LAN, just as you would any other two physical machines or devices.

Ok now that windows can finally use internet under bridged network device (still don’t know why total shutdown was required for effect to engage but oh well)

Tried to set-up EPSON printer in guest windows xp guest using http:192.168.10.172:631/printers… and that worked. printer was found. It then tried to install driver for the printer (if I understand correctly it should use the CUPS+glutenprint ppd) anyway aborted the driver install cuz it keeps saying install disk does not have a driver.

Printer does show in my notepad, Epson-cdprint, openoffice and such. have not tried to test it yet.

Now to instruct the person on machine two 3000 miles away, I am hoping that using the steps 1) change to bridged network on XP guest in virtualbox, 2) Do full powerdown, 3) add printer->network url->192.168.10.172:631/printers/HP_OfficeJet_Series_5740 will work.
The printer is set up through CUPS and will work in Linux as both USB or wifi just by switching it between USB and wifi on printer and removing the USB cable when using wifi. So my assumption is that it should be able to connect as network printer through CUPS.

All-in-ones are not my choice for good equipment as I expect to get printing working and loose scanner and fax and email features and visa versa.