virtualbox group membership bites nfs access

Hi all

I got a strange problem. I have a machine where, as soon as I add a user to group vboxusers I loose access to one nfs mount but just for that user.

Here some info on the setup:

cat /etc/fstab
brutus:/home/groups     /home/groups    nfs     defaults 0 0
  • kernel on all machines 3.16.7-7-desktop
  • virtualbox version 4.3.20-127.5
  • nfs clients version 1.3.0-4.2.1
  • nfs server version 1.3.0-4.2.1
  • exports nfs v3 for *.local.lan, options “rw,no_root_squash,sync,no_subtree_check”

No errormessages in /var/log/mesages, checked permissions of exported file system brutus:/home/groups and directory /home/groups, no problem there.

when I remove the user from group vboxusers, I can access the shares without any problem again. Can’t figure out what it is. Thought of a duplicate group id, checked that, 114 = vboxusers is unique, changed even group id’s that were 1014 to something else, thinking it might be like my wive, swallowing a 0 when buying shoes. Note well. the user is not running virtualbox. It is sufficient if he is member of group 114 vboxusers. Thought of changing gid 114 to something else, did not work either.

I googled around a lot, but could not find an answer. Usually, if somthing that strange occurs, it is either a bug, but then others ould see the same and googlewould not be that quiet or something vey obvious, that I once again missed to see.

help greatly appreciated!

greez

SeaKay

From what you describe, there appears to clearly be a permissions issue.
Start by displaying the full permissions of the folder and files you lose access to.
Inspect your vbox users group to verify its membership in any other groups is correct.

TSU