Virtualbox + bridge setup on OpenSuSE 11.1

Hi there

After a long absence, I decided to poke and prod the forums for answers again. :smiley:

I’ve been trying to set up a Windows guest in Virtualbox on an OpenSuSE 11.1 host.

So far I have managed to get the Winders guest gets its IP address from my smoothwall at 192.168.99.1 - it can browse the 'net and all that without any fuss.

Now… the OpenSuSE host I have problems with. Before I edited the network configuration, I was able to browse the 'net. After following the steps as outlined here I was unable to connect to the 'net, but by setting up Firefox to use my Smoothwall as a proxy server, I was able to. (Seems that it is missing gateway information - I tried to add a gateway via the routes files, without success.

Now I’ve got a few questions.

1. Is it possible to have the bridge get an IP address via DHCP instead of assigning it a static one? (Reason why - at the office we have an DHCP server, and at home I can use my Smoothwall so I don’t need to manually edit and change IP addresses - except when going to customer sites).

2. Does the tap0 interface need an IP address?

3. Routing - will it work, and how can I get it to work?

My ifcfg-br0 file :

STARTMODE='auto'
BOOTPROTO='static'
IPADDR='192.168.99.5/24'
NAME='bridge for vbox'
BRIDGE='yes'
BRIDGE_PORTS='eth0 tap0'
BRIDGE_FORWARDDELAY='0'

I tried the ‘dhcp’ option with bootproto, but it doesn’t want to work. :frowning:

My ifcfg-eth0 file :

BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
BROADCAST=''
ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
IPADDR=''
MTU=''
NAME='DP83815 (MacPhyter) Ethernet Controller'
NETMASK=''
NETWORK=''
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='no'

PS : I’ve got the exact same setup working without any fuss under Ubuntu, but Ubuntu doesn’t feel as snappy as OpenSuSE does…

TIA

Libs

You don’t need to create bridge devices with recent VirtualBox releases (>= 2.2 I think). Nothing special needs to be done on the server side. In VBox, just select Bridged in the network settings and associate it with a host physical interface.

Feedback : I have installed Virtualbox v3.x and everything just works.

Now I’m able to run Windows in an VM and have VPN access for the times I need it :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Libs