videos play on one pooter, not both, and only some players

Good day, everyone. I have a very odd problem. Hoping for help.

I have two computers: a desktop and a laptop. Both running SuSE 11.0. To the best of my knowledge except for the specific files required by the laptop both computers are set up the same.

I have been running video clips (.avi, .mpg, .wmv, .flv, etc) without problems on both pooters.

Today, using Kino, I edited two clips on the desktop pooter. The first was an .mpg. I shortened it and removed the audio track. Kino saved it as an .avi.

The second was a .wmv. I simply removed the audio and, again, Kino saved it as an .avi.

I checked both resulting clips and they played without any problem on the desktop pooter using KMplayer (my player of choice), Kaffeine, VLC, Xine, Totem, etc.

So having verified that the new clips were OK I then copied them over to the laptop (using a thumb drive) and had problems. Neither displayed using KMplayer. Although KMplayer opened and I could see the progress bar at the bottom advancing, the screen was black.

Both clips do play without any problems on the laptop using Kaffeine, Xine, Totem, and VLC. But using KMplayer… nope! >:(

Note also that other .avi videos have and continue to play fine on the laptop using KMplayer. It’s just these two that I edited in Kino that are problems.

So, two seemingly identically set up pooters using the same video clips and the same players, yet the two videos won’t display on the laptop using KMplayer.

Any ideas? I really need to be able to show these two videos on the laptop as part of a program where the other videos will all run on KMplayer.

If you need additional info please just request and I’ll do my best to supply.

Thx!
socref

socref wrote:

>
> Good day, everyone. I have a very odd problem. Hoping for
help.
>
> I have two computers: a desktop and a laptop. Both running
SuSE 11.0.
> To the best of my knowledge except for the specific files
required by
> the laptop both computers are set up the same.
>
> I have been running video clips (.avi, .mpg, .wmv, .flv,
etc) without
> problems on both pooters.
>
> Today, using Kino, I edited two clips on the desktop pooter.
The first
> was an .mpg. I shortened it and removed the audio track.
Kino saved it
> as an .avi.
>
> The second was a .wmv. I simply removed the audio and,
again, Kino
> saved it as an .avi.
>
> I checked both resulting clips and they played without any
problem on
> the desktop pooter using KMplayer (my player of choice),
Kaffeine, VLC,
> Xine, Totem, etc.
>
> So having verified that the new clips were OK I then copied
them over
> to the laptop (using a thumb drive) and had problems.
Neither displayed
> using KMplayer. Although KMplayer opened and I could see the
progress
> bar at the bottom advancing, the screen was black.
>
> Both clips do play without any problems on the laptop
using
> Kaffeine, Xine, Totem, and VLC. But using KMplayer… nope!
>:(
>
> Note also that other .avi videos have and continue to play
fine on the
> laptop using KMplayer. It’s just these two that I edited in
Kino that
> are problems.
>
> So, two seemingly identically set up pooters using the same
video clips
> and the same players, yet the two videos won’t display on
the laptop
> using KMplayer.
>
> Any ideas? I really need to be able to show these two videos
on the
> laptop as part of a program where the other videos will all
run on
> KMplayer.
>
> If you need additional info please just request and I’ll do
my best to
> supply.
>
> Thx!
> socref
>
>
just a thought you might have composite turned on, on the
laptop and not the desktop? cause i know if i’m running
compositing i just get a black or bluish screen when trying to
play movies so i just switch it off with the toggle
compositing widget

What is “composite,” and where is it set on/off in KMplayer? I’ll check, but please remember that other .avi videos play fine on the laptop. It’s just these two new ones that play on the desktop but won’t play on the lappy.
Thx
socref

Some additional information I just discovered. Maybe a clue in this??

The problem is not limited to the two videos I posted about above. Another clip that I edited a few weeks ago exhibits the same problem. It plays just fine on the desktop (audio and video) but I only get audio on the lappy – the video is just a black screen. I had never checked this edited clip on the lappy before this morning so I was unaware that this was going on with previous Kino editing.

Interestingly enough when I edited the clip and Kino turned it into an .avi I also created the same edited file as a .wmv, as .mp4, and as .mov.

Each of those formats plays fine on both the desktop and lappy. It’s only the .avi version that won’t display video in KMplayer on the lappy.

Sure is odd.
Thx
socref

IMHO what you really need to do is a very precise comparison of the configuration between each pc. … ie differences in

• installed application versions/packagers, and also
  • output video modules that may be selected in each application, and also
  • application configurions, and also
  • desktop configuration (such as “3D” / " special desktop effects" (such as the cube) …
  • differences in xserver/xorg config
  • graphic driver versions
  • graphic hardware

There could be other reasons, and its simply wild speculation for us to guess as to what it might be, without that sort of information available to try and pin down the reason.

Just a further note, … saying “It’s on the .avi version” … doesn’t really help. avi is a wrapper and it can contain a very large number of different codecs. Its possible you have the codec required to decode on one pc and not on another PC. And its possible there are other problems.

You really MUST be specific as to which codec is inside the wrapper .avi file, else you simply force us to speculate, where our speculation could be very wide off the mark.

How do I determine which codec is “inside the wrapper?” Where specifically can I look to find this information for you?
Thx
socref

I very much appreciate what you’ve said above, but it escapes me how it applies here when most of my .avi clips do play on both pooters yet these new ones generated by Kino play only on the desktop. Perhaps the answer lies in your subsequent post re: the specific codecs required to play these Kino-generated .avis. Maybe unknowingly I do have those on the desktop yet they are missing from the lappy.

Does that sound reasonable?
Thx
socref

Videos will only play if the appropriate codecs are installed, like w32codecs, xinelib1 (or is it libxine1?) from packman, etc.

KMPlayer, SMPlayer, etc., are front-ends to mplayer, that comes with most codecs installed (but not all).

Kaffeine is a front-end to xine, that uses libxine and so on.

Do take some time to go thru Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

Also, you may want to confine avi to mpeg4 ASP streams like those encoded with “xvid” or “divx”. There’s usually a confusion between wrapper standards (avi, ogg, ogm, mkv), video standards (mpeg1 used in VCDs, mpeg2 used in SVCDs and DVDs, mpeg4 used in AVIs, OGMs, MKVs, etc.) and codec names, like xvid, divx, etc.

There are a lot of good info about this, if you’re interested google for “codecs”, “avi”, etc.

My subsequent post was just a subset of my first post. … ie …

by installed application versions/packages I include codecs.

I’ve seen cases where an xv output video module selection on one PCs player will not play a video of a specific codec, but an xv output video module selection on another PC’s player WILL play the video of the same codec. … Changing to a different output video module will solve the problem for one PC (in some cases). There are other examples where output video module selections can cause problems. Note output video modules are usually selected at the application level.

I’ve seen cases where an mplayer (and also xine) configuration file will allow video of a specific codec to play on one PC and not on another PC (because the configure files are different between pcs).

I’ve seen cases where “3D” / “special desktop effects” will impact some codecs and not others (depending on how difficult it is to decode the codec - some require more cpu to decode than others) … hence some are compatible with special desktop effects and some are not … hence if one has desktop effects enabled on one pc and not the other that MIGHT make a difference.

again …some codecs can be impacted by xerserver settings differences. Its not common. But I’ve read of it happening.

different graphic drivers can result in different media player behaviour between PCs for some files but not for all multimedia files. Again, not common, but it can happen.

Graphic hardware can make a difference in playing back some video over other video. That is especially becoming more and more true with effort being made in the experimental vdpau offloading of video processing from CPU to GPU.

I think YOU need to do some work and investigate this now. Read the posts on this thread. Between myself and others on this thread we have given you enough that you should be able to figure this out.

Good luck.

I did the complete complete guide you reference above when both pooters were first set up on SuSE 11.0 some months ago. Both machines were configured back-to-back, so everything was set up the same. The only differences would be the laptop-specific files that were loaded on that machine when installing SuSE or doing any of the periodic updates.

Everything is set up to use the packman files. I was very careful not to cross-install the non-packman stuff as was mentioned in the very useful set-up guide.

If there is one or more different codecs on the desktop then I do not know how to verify that. It would be very useful to know how to verify. Otherwise I’m stuck without sufficient understanding of the subject to proceed.

Your penultimate paragraph (“You may want to confine…”) is so far over my head that I have no idea what you’re talking about. Sorry, but you’re at a different level than I.

If you can bring it down a level or two that would be great. If you cannot, thanks anyway.

socref

As I wrote in reply to the previous poster, you’re talking so far over my head that I have no idea what you’re talking about. The paragraph above (“Graphic hardware can make…”) is probably great information for someone with your level of understanding. But for you to tell me the I need to do some work is really a bit condescending.

It’s like telling me to “read the F’n manual” but the manual is written in a language I don’t speak. I can look at the words all day and won’t take one step forward.

I’ve done all the multimedia “tweaking” referenced in other threads on this forum. They were very helpful in setting up both pooters, and everything has run great up to this point – these odd videos created by Kino.

I’ve read the posts in this thread very carefully. I have done what I could to learn and try to understand, but I am not at your level.

If there is a way to compare codecs between pooters please tell me the secret. If there is a setting in KMplayer I should check and compare between the two pooters, please tell me. I have looked and compared and unless I’m overlooking something I just don’t see any differences in how the two are set up in KMplayer.

Now, if I should be checking somewhere other than KMplayer it sure would be helpful to know that.

If you can bring it down a couple of levels and help me find the source of the problem and maybe a solution that would be great. If you cannot reduce the discussion from Geek-Speak then thanks anyway.

socref

I don’t think so.

You just need to look. If you don’t understand the terms I gave, then just ask for a specific explanation for the term that puzzles you. Its VERY difficult to understand the level of knowledge of a user when one is trying to help.

I referred, for example, to an “output video module”. Some users call that the “output video mode”. … No matter what you call it, most applications have it. For example, vlc, … just go to vlc > tools > preferences > video > display > output and there you can select default, or x11, or xv (xvideo) … etc … IF that is different between PCs, it can cause different behaviour. And if the PC hardware is different, sometimes those settings have to be different to get the same approximate behaviour. This is true for every player. You NEED to look for this. That really should NOT be over your head.

What else do you think is difficult? For example, configurations. Practically every multimedia application has an menu item for “settings” or “preferences” . A wrong setting there can make different behaviour between PCs. You NEED to look. That should not be over your head.

Reference application versions. WHAT have you done to confirm what you believe (ie same versions) are indeed the same? Did you open your Software Package Manager and compare their versions one by one? You DO need to look. I assume that is not over your head.

For example, when I am comparing multimedia versions, I often do something like:
rpm -qa | grep layer
rpm -qa | grep ffmpeg
rpm -qa | grep xine
rpm -qa | grep vlc
rpm -qa | grep xvid … plus other rpm commands. I compare the output between each PC.

Reference determining what codec is in use in an avi file there are many ways to do this, and everyone has their own favourite way. Some users use the application avidemux to open the file and see what it has to say about the input codec. I use the application “idvid” that comes with “tovid” to get a quick indication of the codec. But there are many ways to do this. Are you saying the ability to do that is over your head ?

The guidance you need to sort this question IS in this thread, …but we can’t do this for you. You have to do it. If you can’t figure out with the guidance given, then fair enough. But rather than accuse people of being condensending (which is insulting when someone takes a LOT OF TIME to type a reply … it makes users want to just walk away from the thread and NOT try to help … ) … how about simply stating SPECIFICALLY what you don’t understand ?

One recommendation, … and maybe you are doing this already … I used to really like kmplayer many years ago. But not so long ago, a player known as smplayer came out, which IMHO is SIGNIFICANTLY superior to kmplayer. It uses the same backend mplayer, but its GUI is more intuitive, it has more features, and it is FAR EASIER to configure. I recommend you use that instead of kmplayer.

I appreciate the fact that you had no way to know my level of knowledge. But honestly, I really thought it was kind of obvious when, for example, in my first reply (to Havoc65) I asked: What is “composite,” and where is it set on/off in KMplayer?

Didn’t that indicate that I was a bit of an unsophisticated user?

I received no answer to the “composite” question.

And in my first reply to you, oldCPU, I asked: How do I determine which codec is “inside the wrapper?” Where specifically can I look to find this information for you?

Didn’t that indicate I’m probably a good candidate for “Linux for Dummies?” :wink:

I referred, for example, to an “output video module”. Some users call that the “output video mode”. … No matter what you call it, most applications have it. For example, vlc, … just go to vlc > tools > preferences > video > display > output and there you can select default, or x11, or xv (xvideo) … etc … IF that is different between PCs, it can cause different behaviour. And if the PC hardware is different, sometimes those settings have to be different to get the same approximate behaviour. This is true for every player. You NEED to look for this. That really should NOT be over your head.

No, that is not over my head, and I had looked at both pooters. As best I could tell the only difference was that the desktop files ended with x86_64 while the lappy files ended with i586. So yes, different hardware, but the versions seemed to be the same otherwise.

Now, of course I did not check file by file through the thousands on each box, and so it certainly is possible that I missed something and the the two pooters were not congruent. In fact, that is what turns out. More below.

What else do you think is difficult? For example, configurations. Practically every multimedia application has an menu item for “settings” or “preferences” . A wrong setting there can make different behaviour between PCs. You NEED to look. That should not be over your head.

And I did. For example, I verified that the KMplayer video output for both was X11shm.

Reference application versions. WHAT have you done to confirm what you believe (ie same versions) are indeed the same? Did you open your Software Package Manager and compare their versions one by one? You DO need to look. I assume that is not over your head.

Ah! Now we get down to the solution.

On both machines I refreshed the repositories, then asked the package manager to update anything on the list that had an available newer version. Both machines updated – apparently more files going onto the lappy than the desktop.

What do you know? Much to my chagrin I apparently did not have identical versions of a key file or files (I do not know what) on the two boxes. My lappy now does play the perplexing Kino-generated .avi files!

For example, when I am comparing multimedia versions, I often do something like:
rpm -qa | grep layer
rpm -qa | grep ffmpeg
rpm -qa | grep xine
rpm -qa | grep vlc
rpm -qa | grep xvid … plus other rpm commands. I compare the output between each PC.

I guess the net effect of what I did with the package manager is essentially similar to grepping!

Reference determining what codec is in use in an avi file there are many ways to do this, and everyone has their own favourite way. Some users use the application avidemux to open the file and see what it has to say about the input codec. I use the application “idvid” that comes with “tovid” to get a quick indication of the codec. But there are many ways to do this. Are you saying the ability to do that is over your head ?

Yeah, I think this part really may be over my head. As I am not familiar with codecs or what exactly to look for I could easily have looked right past the problem or the solution here. :\

The guidance you need to sort this question IS in this thread, …but we can’t do this for you. You have to do it. If you can’t figure out with the guidance given, then fair enough. But rather than accuse people of being condensending (which is insulting when someone takes a LOT OF TIME to type a reply … it makes users want to just walk away from the thread and NOT try to help … ) … how about simply stating SPECIFICALLY what you don’t understand ?

Again, I thought I was being specific, but obviously not with what you needed.

I do appreciate the time you have taken to reply several times. The fact that you posted this time after taking umbrage to my previous post shows that you are interested in helping those who are stumbling. I’d only ask that you please remember that there are some on this list who will never write programs, who will never compile the Kernel, who will never work with source code, and who are not into Linux as an intellectual endeavor. Rather, we’re the “Linux for Dummies” crowd, and we’re users because Linux gives us many choices to play videos and music, to access the Internet, and to run our businesses.

If I might be so presumptuous, a really great answer at the start from you or anyone else might have been something phrased generally along these lines: “When confronting a multimedia situation that seems to make no sense I’ve found it useful to go back to the basics. First, update the repositories and then update any file that has a newer version. Do that on both machines to be certain that you have the latest. Then try the video on the laptop. If it still won’t play then you need to start searching for differences – programs that are on the desktop but not on the laptop.”

One recommendation, … and maybe you are doing this already … I used to really like kmplayer many years ago. But not so long ago, a player known as smplayer came out, which IMHO is SIGNIFICANTLY superior to kmplayer. It uses the same backend mplayer, but its GUI is more intuitive, it has more features, and it is FAR EASIER to configure. I recommend you use that instead of kmplayer.

And I have taken your suggestion and put SMplayer on both pooters. The first thing I notice is that SMplayer will play the subtitles that I could never see in KMplayer! rotfl!

Maybe I was just missing something in KMplayer, but this improvement alone makes the switch to SMplayer a good move.

Thanks for this suggestion, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction to the solution.

socref

Well done in figuring this out.

As for what precise composite is (in the context in which it was stated) … To my knowledge, I never use composite effects (my computers are too old) in that context, so for me to give you a good answer would require me to google it, … which given you can do that as quick myself sort of defeats the purpose. Far better for someone who uses those effects to answer you. Instead I simply refer to those effects as “special desktop effects” (including aspects like " the cube" ) , but as to the precise composite definition I don’t know. Guess that makes me a newbie too? … (My view is we are all newbies in different aspects of computers … )

I recommend you do install an application that lets you determine the codecs of a video file. It can come in handy. As noted, I like “tovid” (its an app for creating DVD compliant MPEG files out of other video files), where “tovid” comes with “idvid” which is very useful for determining codecs. BUT it will pick up many other apps, and you may not like the bloat. Installing avidemux (which is a superb application for converting video formats) may be more along your liking.

Another command line that is useful in comparing the setup repositories on computers is the line:zypper lr if one uses one click install (which I don’t) I believe it easy to have the repository setup of different computers diverge, which can lead to different apps being installed. As a result, I don’t use “one click” and the ‘risks’ of one click are hence rather far from my mind as I don’t encounter them.

Anyway … once again well done in figuring this out.

Thanks, oldCPU. Appreciate your patience with me. :slight_smile:

socref