Video playback fails. Complete diagnosis.

Installed clean new 11.2-32 bit. Followed the restricted formats post. Kaffeine, vlc, and Mplayer present a blue screen with sound or shutdown immediately. Recommended diagnostic steps as follows:-

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # LC_ALL=C zypper ve
Retrieving repository ‘Updates for openSUSE 11.2-0’ metadata [done]
Building repository ‘Updates for openSUSE 11.2-0’ cache [done]
Loading repository data…
Reading installed packages…

Dependencies of all installed packages are satisfied.

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # rpm -qa --queryformat '%{NAME} → %{VENDOR}
’ | grep -i VideoLAN
libdvdcss → VideoLAN Project (VideoLAN, Free streaming and multimedia solutions for all OS!)

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # rpm --verify --query --all ‘libav*’ ‘libpostproc*’ ‘libswscale*’
linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid #

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # rpm --query --queryformat '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} → %{VENDOR}
’ libxine1 libxine1-codecs → PackMan :: Startseite → PackMan :: Startseite

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # rpm --verify --query --all ‘xine
linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid #

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # rpm --query --queryformat '%{NAME} -%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}-%{ARCH} → %{VENDOR}
’ gstreamer-0_1 0-ffmpeg gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-m pegdemux gstreamer-0_10-fluendo-mpegmux gstreamer-0_10-plugi ns-bad gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base gstreamer-0_10-plugins-go od gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra gstreamer-0_10-plugins- ugly → http://pa → http:/ / → PackMan :: Startseite → htt p://
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-bad-0.10.13-2.2-i586 → openSUSE
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-base-0.10.24-2.4-i586 → openSUSE
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-0.10.15-3.3.1-i586 → openSUSE
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-good-extra-0.10.15-3.3.1-i586 → open SUSE
gstreamer-0_10-plugins-ugly-0.10.12-2.4-i586 → openSUSE

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # rpm --verify --query --all 'gst
linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid #

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # rpm --verify MPlayer
linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid #

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # rpm --verify --query --all ‘vlc
linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid #

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # rpm --verify w32codec-all
linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid #

linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid # rpm --query --all ‘libav*’ ‘libpos tproc*’ ‘libswscale*’ ‘xine’ ‘gst’ MPlayer ‘vlc’ | gre p -v avahi | sort
linux-yeq6:/home/ingrid #

Try doing this

I tried that method on the previous installation and it did not solve the problem. Which is why I am working on a new clean installation.

But wait! Good news! I ran Mplayer from the console and it reported something like “insufficient resources allocated”. I took that to mean memory. I stuck more memory onto the board but that made made no difference. What it turned out to be was either bad or insufficient memory on my Matrox graphics card. I removed the card, re-configured the BIOS for the maximum motherboard graphics memory and I am back in business.

Thanks for the suggestion. It previously worked on one of my other computers.