Video performance with Intel 945GM with kernel 2.6.30

Hello!

I have a laptop with a built in Intel 945GM video card, and currently I use openSuse 11.1.

Currently the performance of KDE 4.2 on my laptop is pretty slow. I know there are many changes in the field of video drivers recently, but I don’t understand a few things.
I see that openSuse 11.2 Milestone 3 comes with Kernel 2.6.30. As far as I understand, it brings the possibility to use UXA as the acceleration method, right? But for it to work, I need the new intel driver (2.7.0). Does it have it?
And, in general, does openSuse 11.2 M3 works faster with KDE than 11.1 with this video card?

Thanks in advance!

YevgenyEfter adjusted his/her AFDB on Tuesday 14 Jul 2009 10:06 to write:

>
> Hello!
>
> I have a laptop with a built in Intel 945GM video card, and currently I
> use openSuse 11.1.
>
> Currently the performance of KDE 4.2 on my laptop is pretty slow. I
> know there are many changes in the field of video drivers recently, but
> I don’t understand a few things.
> I see that openSuse 11.2 Milestone 3 comes with Kernel 2.6.30. As far
> as I understand, it brings the possibility to use UXA as the
> acceleration method, right? But for it to work, I need the new intel
> driver (2.7.0). Does it have it?
> And, in general, does openSuse 11.2 M3 works faster with KDE than 11.1
> with this video card?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
>

funny you should post this question, I have just finished reading this
article:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzM3OQ

Now as always compare notes with other reports form other sources so you get
a balanced view.

However looking at those reports the 2.6.30 looks pretty stable and OK, I
cannot comment though as I have never used Intel graphics in anger.

HTH

Mark
Caveat emptor
Nullus in verba
Nil illegitimi carborundum

This is why it is important to be involved in the testing. I encourage others with intel graphics hardware to get involved.

http://news.opensuse.org/2009/06/29/opensuse-112-milestone-3-available/

Yes, baskitcaise, you are right. I have read the article, and was
curious if I can have this functionality on my laptop.

deano_ferrari, you gave me a link to milestone 3. Do you use it with intel graphics card?

deano_ferrari, you gave me a link to milestone 3. Do you use it with intel graphics card?

No, I have an ATI chipset in my laptop. However, I’ve seen many threads with intel graphics problems, and I know that recent Xorg versions and intel drivers have improved the situation. So, I hold high hopes these will be included with the next openSUSE release.

I couldn’t find which version of the Intel driver comes with milestone 3. Do you know?

If you are looking for an updated driver for the intel 945 series go to intel.com and search for the 3.4.3006 I386.tar.gz file and this is the latest driver for linux.there are a lot of laptops with this card in it. you can also get the latest radeon drivers there as well.

I installed openSuse 11.2 Milestone 3, and it works pretty good as is. (At least for me).
I’d like to know which intel driver is used in it, but I don’t know where to check it. Can anyone help me with it?

iirc it is using the latest one. But to check iirc the package is xorg-x11-driver-video so navigate to the src.rpm and have a look inside.

Edit
OK checked for you intel 2.7.1, also iirc the xorg repo has this to.

Thank you!

Actually, I just wanted to say that I found the version through yast, software management.

hehe yeah didn’t think of that, but not being an intel user I didn’t have it installed :wink:

I just asked about if any improvements have been made in the beta forum. I’ve downloaded the milestone 3 to install and check but won’t have time for a few days. I’m glad you’ve seen an improvement because the current video performance (or should I say the lack of) has been a little frustrating.