Video/Mobo selection advice

Hi folks! Having been pleased with the performance of openSUSE so far, I think it might be a good choice for the desktop that I’m about to build.

I’d appreciate your advice on motherboard and GPU selection.

I’m planning on an i5 on a Gigabyte P55 AUD4 board (think that’s the numbers).

I was thinking about an NVidia graphics card but the ATI 5775 has also been suggested. I’d thought NVidia was better for Linux but someone said this wasn’t the case unless you were talking 3D. (I’ll be dual booting windows, so windows 3D performance is relevant for midrange gaming)

Can you advise on a good choice of graphics card that will be compatible with SUSE, +quiet, low-mid price bracket. ($150-200 Australian, about $100-$130 USD I guess.)

Bump. I’ve decided on an ATI Radeon 5770. I’m a bit concerned that ATI support still isn’t the best and wonder if anyone is running one of these cards?

My primary concern for good video performance is under windows for gaming, so it’s not a HUGE issue but I want to use Linux for -everything- else.

I’ll have an i5 on a Gigabyte P55 AUD3

According to this on the ATI web site Graphics Drivers & Software for ATI the ATI Radeon 5770 is supported. Its possible the openSource radeon and radeonhd drivers packaged with openSUSE do not work, and you may need to use the vesa driver until you get the proprietary driver to work, or you could simply install more cutting edge radeon/radeonhd drivers. I provided some practical driver theory here: openSUSE Graphic Card Practical Theory Guide for Users - openSUSE Forums

… in addition to reading post#1, also note post#11 in that thread.

Unfortunately, our ATI users have not been very good at keeping the HCL page up to date with their experiences: HCL/ATI Video Cards - openSUSE … if you do succeed in getting the 5770 to work, please update that HCL page for that hardware. Thanks!

Thanks for the advice and link, Oldcpu.

I’ll be sure to make a note of any steps I take so I can share the info.

I’m so delighted with the way OpenSuse is performing on my laptop, so I’m very interested to see how it does on the new hardware.