Video issues after Tumbleweed 20240126 Upgrade

I upgraded one of my desktops earlier, the 20240126 upgrade came in, which included a new kernel and promptly had video issues upon reboot.

In both the Vivaldi and Chromium browsers, I am getting (what I call) video corruption on web pages. The attached screenshot from CNN shows an example of what I am seeing.

There were more than 140 packages upgraded, including the kernel and kernel-firmware-radeon. Prior to this upgrade, everything was fine, so I suspect one or more of the packages caused this.

I also have a Debian derivative installed on a thumb drive and booted the desktop into that. Also launched Firefox (from Tumbleweed). No video issues found with either, so I am ruling out hardware.

Is anyone else seeing something similar??

~> inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Cedar [Radeon HD 5000/6000/7350/8350 Series] driver: radeon
    v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.11 with: Xwayland v: 23.2.4 driver: X:
    loaded: radeon unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa dri: r600 gpu: radeon
    resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: EGL v: 1.5 drivers: kms_swrast,r600,swrast
    platforms: gbm,x11,surfaceless,device
  API: OpenGL v: 4.5 vendor: mesa v: 23.3.4 renderer: AMD CEDAR (DRM 2.50.0
    / 6.7.1-2-default LLVM 17.0.6)
  API: Vulkan Message: No Vulkan data available.

Delete GPUCache.

https://forums.opensuse.org/search?q=GPUCache%20order%3Alatest

Already done, the first step. Made no difference.

Browsers should be closed and all GPUCaches need to be deleted…

https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1214274

If you use several profiles, each cache needs to be deleted.

There is an issue with the latest mesa drivers (23.3.x) with older AMD GPU’s (R600). The link is just one of many posts about this.
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/10267
I do have similar issues, in my case vlc just gave me a blank screen while audio was still working, in kaffeine DVB-S stopped displaying hd channels and sd channels. I resolved it for now by getting rid of libva-vdpau-driver and vlc-vdpau.

This is a typical side effect when you see Mesa-related updates in a zypper dup. It mostly affects Chrome-based browsers … but there are other apps that use a GPUCache sub-dir.

There is no ill side effect of removing that sub-dir’s content.

I have a script that finds all GPUCache sub-dirs and deletes them.

I was provided with a command that will delete all GPUCache directories in my Vivaldi profiles, which was the first thing I did.

My main desktop also has an older AMD GPU, but it’s a non-HD, Radeon 3000 (RS780L) integrated, which apparently isn’t affected by this Mesa issue.

Also getting the graphics corruption on this site as well and the message font looks pixelated.

I may have found a workaround WRT Vivaldi. I turned off Hardware Acceleration in its settings, which requires a restart of the browser. Upon a restart, the video issues cleared up.

If Chromium has a similar setting, it might also work.

1 Like

Thank you so much. It worked but when I turn hardware acceleration back on, it breaks again. Also lots of other apps are affected unfortunately.

@madroots Welcome to openSUSE!

We’re just going to have to wait until updated Mesa packages are released from upstream, which I hope, will fix whatever the issue is with the current version of the packages.