Video files won't play and Dolphin keeps closing...

…whenever I go into the folders they’re stored in and try to open them. They close so fast, in fact, that it’s only after switching over to Konqueror that I found the files simply will not open. VLC/Kaffeine appears to load for a few seconds and then closes again without any indication of a bug or problem - it just doesn’t work.

Been trying to sort this out for the last two days now, but I’m a complete simpleton with computers/linux and don’t know anything about using the terminal, etc. (I can’t even install stuff without using webpins) but now I’m stuck and searching around for people with similar problems really hasn’t turned up anything that is familiar or understandable.

If anyone has any idea what the problem might be I’d love to hear what you think is going on.

Note: It only happens with video files; music is playing fine.

I can’t even install stuff without using webpins
Herein probably lies your problem.

Please open a terminal, type this and hit enter, post result:

zypper lr -d

Multi-media guide
Multi-media and Restricted Format Installation Guide - openSUSE Forums

Thank you I’ve only just been able to get back and check for replies. I typed that and got this:

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

—±------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±------------------------------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | 11.2 - VideoLan | 11.2 - VideoLan | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /pub/videolan/vlc/SuSE/11.2/ |
2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss/suse | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss/suse | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss/suse |
3 | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43 | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43 | Yes | Yes | 99 | NONE | http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Community/openSUSE_11.2_KDE_43 |
4 | Index of /repositories/X11:/xfce:/nilda/openSUSE_11.2 | Index of /repositories/X11:/xfce:/nilda/openSUSE_11.2 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/X11:/xfce:/nilda/openSUSE_11.2 |
5 | Index of /repositories/home:/illuusio/openSUSE_11.2 | Index of /repositories/home:/illuusio/openSUSE_11.2 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /repositories/home:/illuusio/openSUSE_11.2 |
6 | Index of /suse/11.2 | Index of /suse/11.2 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /suse/11.2 |
7 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | openSUSE 11.2-0 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:/// |
8 | repo-debug | openSUSE-11.2-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
9 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/non-oss |
10 | repo-oss | openSUSE-11.2-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
11 | repo-source | openSUSE-11.2-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/11.2/repo/oss |
12 | repo-update | openSUSE-11.2-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/11.2 |
13 | subpixel repository | subpixel repository | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /subpixel/openSUSE_11.2

I’m now going to read that link you sent me, but I have actually used a webpin to install some dvd codecs already so I hope it’s not them messing me up…

Okay, I did uninstall some of the stuff that came with those codecs and now Dolphin has stopped closing, mercifully. Still can’t get VLC working though but hopefully combing through that guide will sort that.

You only need these repos

oss
non-oss
update
packman

Get it tidied up and follow the guide.

Thank you for helping, I kept those four and deleted the rest and went through the steps in your guide and a lot of… stuff… happened and now VLC is working but my sound has disappeared. The speaker option in the bottom right is gone too so I’m now getting videos working fine but no sound from anything, including the internet, etc.

Edit: I restarted and the icon has come back but there’s still no sound from anything. I don’t know if it’ll mean anything but the ‘mixer window’ is now pretty different looking than it was before I went through the steps of the guide. Maybe I should point out I’m doing this on a laptop.

I’ve been fiddling with it more and even though no sound is coming from anything - music, video, etc. I did get a few seconds of sound when I opened a network stream through VLC. Now it’s just these errors though:
http://i47.tinypic.com/35hilcm.jpg

I have a feeling there is a streaming issue with VLC. Maybe others can confirm, but I don’t really use that.
Please verify functionality of VLC with a normal video file first.

Sorry, I meant everywhere. It’s not just VLC. I’ve actually been opening files in SMplayer since installing it with your guide. There’s no sound from anything now.

Please try restarting the computer

Okay (though this is the second restart since the sound issue) I have and it’s still the same. Video plays (in all of my players), but no sound. Welcome music works and all the volume bars are on and un-muted too, so I know it’s not the computer.

Okay (though this is the second restart since the sound issue) I have and it’s still the same. Video plays (in all of my players), but no sound. Welcome music works and all the volume bars are on and unmuted too, so I know it’s not the computer.

What type of video file is it you’re trying to play? Is the issue of Dolphin closing still sorted?

Yeah, Dolphin is fine. It’s all video files. I’ve tried .avi, .mpg, .mp4, and .mkv.

Now it’s even more annoying. I loaded up another .mpg in VLC (again, I’ve been using smplayer too) and it actually played the sound, so I closed and re-opened it to make sure it wasn’t a fluke and apparently it was because now it’s giving me the same error message.

I suggest you start a new thread with ‘sound issue’ included in the title
SDB:Audio troubleshooting - openSUSE