Video files not visible

I have bought a PVR using USB sticks for recording digital TV (from satellite) - a Ferguson Styx-K - which is basically a Linux box with all those functions including a Freeview decoder. I can record the TV programme and watch it again on the TV but when I plug the USB in my computer it looks empty. Does anyone know the file format used and what I need to install to make those files visible - or even better to convert them into any of those well known formats. I use v. 12.2/KDE with multimedia codecs installed and can see/hear most formats (MP4,avi, mov, flv ogg, etc.).
Thanks
Uli

On 2012-10-13 03:56, fuerstu wrote:
>
> I have bought a PVR using USB sticks for recording digital TV (from
> satellite) - a Ferguson Styx-K - which is basically a Linux box with all
> those functions including a Freeview decoder. I can record the TV
> programme and watch it again on the TV but when I plug the USB in my
> computer it looks empty. Does anyone know the file format used and what
> I need to install to make those files visible - or even better to
> convert them into any of those well known formats. I use v. 12.2/KDE
> with multimedia codecs installed and can see/hear most formats (MP4,avi,
> mov, flv ogg, etc.).

You will have to find a forum dedicated to that machine you bought. However, with the usb plugged in
you can check the end of syslog or dmesg output to find out the device name, and then use fdisk to
find what partitions it has, and then mount them.

For example, mine records into an vfat usb drive, but in those forums I learned that I could use an
ext2 partition instead, and even a swap. I also found alternative firmwares with many more features
than offered by the original maker. Other devices use several partitions, some of very rare formats
that can not be read outside.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Thanks robin-listas
Unfortunately I cannot find any forum for the Ferguson Styx K Hybrid Satellite Receiver and the google search did give many results. That’s why I wrote to this forum
According to YAST the device is sdc1 - dmesg didn’t give me any results.
however the command fdisk -l /dev/sdc1 gives:

Disk /dev/sdc1: 15.5 GB, 15496544256 bytes
64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 14778 cylinders, total 30266688 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6f20736b

This doesn’t look like a partition table
Probably you selected the wrong device.

 Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

/dev/sdc1p1 ? 778135908 1919645538 570754815+ 72 Unknown
/dev/sdc1p2 ? 168689522 2104717761 968014120 65 Novell Netware 386
/dev/sdc1p3 ? 1869881465 3805909656 968014096 79 Unknown
/dev/sdc1p4 ? 2885681152 2885736650 27749+ d Unknown

Any idea what next?
Thanks
Uli

That output, specifically

This doesn't look like a partition table
Probably you selected the wrong device.

is because there is no partition table found within /dev/sdc1. You should have just specified

fdisk -l

or the root device where the partition table is located

fdisk -l /dev/sdc

most receivers do not format shift when they record - so if you are using this in New Zealand (I think you might be) - if it is a terrestrial HD broadcast then the recorded file will be mp4 H264 and if Satellite mpeg2.
This wont be your problem as Opensuse will handle both these without problem.

A quick google for the manual of your unit - states that usb drives must be formatted in either fat32, ext2 or ext3.

Just format your usb stick to one of these (recommend ext3) and try again.

If you still can’t see the files check to see if they are hidden - e.g. .filename]

edit: here is a link to the manual I found

On 2012-10-13 04:56, fuerstu wrote:
>
> Thanks robin-listas
> Unfortunately I cannot find any forum for the Ferguson Styx K Hybrid
> Satellite Receiver and the google search did give many results. That’s
> why I wrote to this forum

Perhaps it is too new or not popular enough.

> According to YAST the device is sdc1 - dmesg didn’t give me any
> results.

I’m sure there is.

> however the command fdisk -l /dev/sdc1 gives:

Wrong parameter to the command, sdc1 is already a partition. You have to supply the entire disk.

And please, use code tags to post such output.

Anyway, if sdc1 is the only partition on the device, “file -s /dev/sdc1” will confirm what type it is.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

Thanks for the answers, everyone.
Yes, I am in New Zealand and since they are switching to digital TV within a year I have bought this decoder and use it with a satellite dish.
But firstly here is the output of fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 15.5 GB, 15500673024 bytes
40 heads, 40 sectors/track, 18921 cylinders, total 30274752 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xc3072e18

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 8064 30274751 15133344 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

I formatted one of my other USB drives to ext3

linux-top:~ # mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1
mke2fs 1.42.4 (12-June-2012)
Filesystem label=
OS type: Linux
Block size=1024 (log=0)
Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
Stride=0 blocks, Stripe width=0 blocks
127512 inodes, 508908 blocks
25445 blocks (5.00%) reserved for the super user
First data block=1
Maximum filesystem blocks=67633152
63 block groups
8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
2024 inodes per group
Superblock backups stored on blocks:
8193, 24577, 40961, 57345, 73729, 204801, 221185, 401409

Allocating group tables: done
Writing inode tables: done
Creating journal (8192 blocks): done
Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done

But now I get

linux-top:~ # fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 521 MB, 521142272 bytes
32 heads, 32 sectors/track, 994 cylinders, total 1017856 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x9eefc40a

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 32 1017854 508911+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

Strangely it says under System FAT32
The YAST partitioner says under Type ‘Win95 FAT32 LBA’ however under FS ‘ext3’
Anyway the outcome is the same - I cannot see the files recorded.
If they would be files I can play in OpenSUSE like mp4 they would be visible (I don’t know about H264 though) and yes, I tried ls -a to see if they are hidden files.
Cheers
Uli

On 2012-10-14 01:06, fuerstu wrote:
>
> Thanks for the answers, everyone.
> Yes, I am in New Zealand and since they are switching to digital TV
> within a year I have bought this decoder and use it with a satellite
> dish.
> But firstly here is the output of fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Please, please, use code tags to post that.

Posting in
Code Tags - A Guide

> I formatted one of my other USB drives to ext3
>> linux-top:~ # mkfs.ext3 /dev/sdb1

Yes, but you did not change the partition type with fdisk - thus the
incongruity you notice later.

> Anyway the outcome is the same - I cannot see the files recorded.
> If they would be files I can play in OpenSUSE like mp4 they would be
> visible (I don’t know about H264 though) and yes, I tried ls -a to see
> if they are hidden files.

And df?

Are you sure the device doesn’t use some other disk, an internal one?

If the files were deleted later, try photorec to undelete them.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Thanks robin_listas
I thought since there is only the one partition I use sdb1 - should I have used sdb?
Here is the df output

linux-top:/media # df
Filesystem                  1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                       20905860   6687032  13170252  34% /
devtmpfs                       980672         4    980668   1% /dev
tmpfs                          988864        88    988776   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                          988864       728    988136   1% /run
/dev/sda6                    20905860   6687032  13170252  34% /
tmpfs                          988864         0    988864   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                          988864       728    988136   1% /var/lock
tmpfs                          988864       728    988136   1% /var/run
tmpfs                          988864         0    988864   0% /media
/dev/sda7                   210350236  47634428 152184840  24% /home
10.10.10.2:/mnt/md1/ulimnt/ 960657152 133643744 778214752  15% /home/uli/ulimnt
/dev/sdb1                      492815     36349    431021   8% /media/Fuerst1

Here is the good news - after mucking around (previously I only could see the empty folder - I don’t really know what I did) I can see now the .trp files. Since there is no stable version of Handbrake for v.12.2 (the unstable crashed straight away) I could convert the file with Avidemux-qt4 and I can see them now in any of the mediaplayers (vlc, Kaffeine, etc.). Will check later whether I can see the file on a FAT32 formatted flash drive as well.

On 2012-10-14 03:06, fuerstu wrote:
>
> Thanks robin_listas
> I thought since there is only the one partition I use sdb1 - should I
> have used sdb?

Depends on the command. For fdisk sdb, for df the mountpoint of sdb1
which I see below that it is “media/Fuerst1”.

> Here is the df output
>
> Code:
> --------------------
> linux-top:/media # df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on

> /dev/sdb1 492815 36349 431021 8% /media/Fuerst1
>
> --------------------

So you have 36349*1024 bytes used, ie, 35 MB, very little.

> Here is the good news - after mucking around (previously I only could
> see the empty folder - I don’t really know what I did) I can see now the
> .trp files. Since there is no stable version of Handbrake for v.12.2
> (the unstable crashed straight away) I could convert the file with
> Avidemux-qt4 and I can see them now in any of the mediaplayers (vlc,
> Kaffeine, etc.). Will check later whether I can see the file on a FAT32
> formatted flash drive as well.

Heh, a hidden directory


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

.trp files will play in smplayer or VLC without the need for any kind of conversion. .trp is just a container for (in your case with a satellite feed) mpeg2 files.
Just right click on the file and select either of the above two media players to open.

edit: also, are you aware that while your unit is capable of HD, there is currently no HD satellite feed for Freeview in NZ. To view in HD you would need t use the terestrial signal - requiring a different receiver.

Thanks farcusnz
I found out in the meantime that it plays on the SMplayer, however VLC comes up with error message…
The receiver creates a folder with no x permissions for group or users - so you have to use the chmod command to open the folder. Even then it looks empty except when you use ls -a. After trying to open them with a media player they suddenly become visible in Dolphin.
Cheers
Uli