Video capture fails on TW and not working on Leap-15

I have been using Tumbleweed for a while now and had a good rhythm going with my workflow. A few weeks ago an upgrade destroyed my ability to capture a HDMI Video input to the computer. I hope I can explain this clearly. I have a USB - HDMI capture device, a MAGEWELL device, into which I was plugging a digital camera’s HDMI output. I displayed that live with vlc and then did a screen capture of that video and my various desktop applications. It probably sounds a bit out there but it did work great, until a few weeks ago. I’m not sure what changed but I assume it’s in linux kernel drivers. I’d love to get to the bottom of it. So what’s now happening is that the video being displayed by VLC is only the top half of the video output by the camera.

I tried to verify this by taking my Laptop’s HDMI output, into the MAGEWELL HDMI to USB and into VLC. Same result only half of the screen is displayed.

So Tumbleweed has sort of failed me, but luckily I have a bit of disk space and installed Leap-15 onto the second driver and booted into that. Unfortunately whilst VLC can display the built web camera the MAGEWELL displays a black screen with no input.

I really need this functionality so I’ll have to try another distro but I would like to see if I can sort this out.

jwhitmore